Stupid penalties are killing this team

Absolutely, I agree too. That is why the line before that I mentioned the play calling. However with that said you still have to make the stop and with a back like Joffery, it is easier said than done. It is going to be another good game thursday, I wouldn't be putting any money on it that is for sure.

…enjoyed the Rider-Al debate thoroughly, thanks for the entertainment, back to the topic at hand though…the stamps and Huf talked a lot this week about mental discipline, it will be interesting to see if that turns into results, i.e. reduced infractions…

…on a separate note, it was interesting to hear the receivers talk this week about how they let Burris down…there was no mention of how close DD came to playing in last Saturday’s game, but a lot about the dropped passes…I hope that results in a better effort from the receiving corp to staying eyes-on-ball for that extra second before expecting the hit…

I found reading this thread interesting. It started out good....and then morphed into an anti-riders thread.

But let's be realistic. What hurt Calgary last game wasn't riders. It was themselves, it is what has hurt the stumps all season. Bad penalities and dropped passes.

Both of which are correctable, if the players start listening and learning from the coach. One thing, I have noticed from Calgary this year is the desire to showcase their individual talents. I am not sure if that is coming from the coach or if that is some of the egos coming back.

Take for example Browner, the guy is an exceptional athelete. But his penalities are hurting the team. Why because he wants to be the first one down field on the punt coverage team, so he takes short cuts.

I have to wondering if all the complaining about the Armour ejection would have happened had Calgary made the last second field goal. No not likely. But, I have seen comments that it affected the team, it got into their heads and messed with them. I guess it messed with the recievers to the point they dropped balls.....or Browner to the point he had to take 2 face mask penalities.

I am not sitting here preaching the riders are the greatest thing since sliced bread. As I think the offence has only really played one full game. Where they consistently moved the ball and scored.

The defence and a hustle is what won the other 5 games. Crandell wasn't sharp the last game, I don't use the excuse of playing with 3 or 4 string receivers as an excuse. Crandell threw a number of balls short and into the ground. How many were batted away by the defence. But in the end we won because we played as team.

...all very good points....I think you are bang on....

...personally I think the events surounding the Armour ejection would have been still a hot topic simply because it was such a monumental error in officiating but it may have been lessened by a stamp win...

...no doubt though, the stamps have doen much to be their own worst enemy many times this year...showboating by individuals?...yeah, could possibly be...

Take for example Browners last face mask....he didn't need to do it. He was clearly not in position to make a tackle or even hold player until assistance came. So what does he do but face mask and all in attempt to do to much. showboating...

I too for the life of me cannot believe the Riders are 6-0, their just not that good, I'm sorry, not trying to offend anyone but I'd bet good money that even die hard Rider fans are just as f****ing stunned as the rest of us,

If the Stamps choke tonight, or the Riders win on a last minute fluke again like Cates picking up a perfect bounce off a fumble in full stride I'll probably put my foot through my new plasma tv.

Time for the Riders to be slapped back into reality and eventually to their righteous spot in the standings (last)

Stampeder67, I would say that most rider fans are realistic and view the 6-0 start for what it is. Something good. However, to say the riders fluked any of those wins is to diminish the win.

Frankly, the riders beat Calgary. I don’t think any fans are saying Calgary choked despite, having home field advantage, playing a team that started the game out without 2 of its 4 star/main recievers, and ending up with only 1 or its 4 star/main recievers playing. No…we aren’t…but then again win lose or tonite, it should be a good game.

The difference between between how Calgary is playing and how Sask is playing is hustle. Why was Cates able to pick up pass that was thrown 30 yards down the field and run it into the end zone, it wasn’t designed. He was hustling on the play.

The question you should be asking yourself is not why Sask is 6-0 but why is Calgary 3-3 when they had the real chance to be 5-1 or 6-0 if it wasn’t for some late game plays.

I’m referring to the term fluke moreso in the sense that something bigger than just the Riders playing well is at work here.

The fact you point out regarding injuries just adds to my theory. Teams self destructing with minutes to go in games, Rider bounces and some timely crap penalties called all team up to create the “fluke” factor of which I speak.

I have to give credit where credit is due however. The Riders just keep hanging around long enough to get these breaks. Also Cates has been a machine to say the least.

Hopefully tonight the Riders will turn from chariot back to pumpkin. :slight_smile:

And to get back on topic, YES stupid penalties are killing us.

If you looked at the reply of that Matt D catch and fumble. It should have been a dropped pass he di not have control of the ball. That touchdown should not have counted. But hey the refs were so bad in that game what would you expect.

Correct, good point, the catch that wasn’t. Just another bad luck dagger that seems to plaguing anyone that plays the Riders LOL.

No!
That is not good luck or bad luck nor is it the fault of the refs,
Its incompetence on the part of Huff for not challenging the play!

There was an injured rider on the play so they had lots of time to review

Hmmm, I guess you could say it was “lucky” for the Riders that Huff was sleeping? had it been reviewed it would have been brought back. So luckily for the Riders it was not.

Luck, carma, devine intervention, call it want you want. The Riders have been blessed with it. Just like the one that bounced of a Stampeder helmet into the waiting arms of a lucky Rider.

Sometimes “luck” is all you have.

Thats quite a stretch
The way replay has been going I doubt it would have come back…It should have but I doubt it would have

My take on penalties is that this is relatively a young team. Meaning that there are lots of new players on both sides of the ball. As they play together and figure each other out these will diminish some what. The first game with the riders I believe a lot of them were made out of frustration and the head coach really needs to try to calm them down in adversity.