stupid defensive coaching

All year we get burned on the 3-4. The announcers say it, we see it, and everyone exploits it. Why thenm do we allow this to continue. Clearly the D coach is useless and a goner, but Charlie, you are the head coach, would it not make sense to order your subordinate to eliminate any more 3-4 defensive schemes? I tell ya, my seasons ticket renewal is contingent on every assistant coach being gone after the year, "cause if they're back, 2008 will be 2007 all over again.

we cant even tell how good our ds are when there getting coached like this.

I couldn't agree more. Our assistants are a lost cause. They'd do well to take an introductory course in Canadian Football.

Has anyone thought of approaching Greg Marshall (Western University) with a job offer as an assistant? He gave us our best single season record in recent years despite what looked like interference and intimidation from the team's hierarchy.

Don't judge Greg by his record at Western either. Most college kids never make it to the pros and it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

He already has some grounding in pro ball and would likely do well as an assistant in Hamilton.

My only question about todays debacle. We had Sask 2nd down and long I don't know how many times. Would that not be a good time to blitz....at least once in a while? We seemed to continue with a 3 man rush and Joseph had all the time in the world and subsequently, their receivers had all the time in the world to get open.

[quote="rocky123"]I couldn't agree more. Our assistants are a lost cause. They'd do well to take an introductory course in Canadian Football.

Has anyone thought of approaching Greg Marshall (Western University) with a job offer as an assistant? He gave us our best single season record in recent years despite what looked like interference and intimidation from the team's hierarchy.

Don't judge Greg by his record at Western either. Most college kids never make it to the pros and it would be like comparing apples and oranges.

8) You don't actually believe that Marshall would take the job if offered, do you ?????

Smokey, John Salavantis mentioned on CHML
that we used far less 3-4 Defence today.

We got a lot of pressure on the QB
early in the game with 4 linemen.

Later on they stopped getting pressure
and the DBs started to get burned.

Then, we used the 3-4 Defence
and blitzed 2 linebackers
and got real good pressure.

guys im really lost for words on what i have seen today with our ti-cats. they just sucked all over the feild. defence and offence. its just terrible and nothing to look forward too.

I've been saying for two months that the DC is totally over his head. Charlie really missed the boat with this hire and if O'Neil isn't gone at year end, things will not improve. He lost the players back in August, and his total inability to develop a scheme that works for the Canadian game has been obvious since the start of the year.

Ed O'Neil wasn't Taafe's first choice, Rust was. But when Rust bowed out late, O'Neil was the best guy available. This will be corrected in the off-season.

That is absolutely true about Rod Rust, but to say O'Neil was the best available alternative is scary. Yes, football coaches change jobs often, but if Charlie was looking for a quick fill-in, why not call Sudsy? At least he knows the Canadian game, and there had to be other knowledgeable coaches out there who could have stepped in. Charlie put himself in a bad spot by offering the DC job to someone almost 80 years old, and the whole franchise is paying for that decision. O'Neil MUST GO!

Has Denny Creehan surfaced anywhere?

We don't want him, trust me.

:)

Why not Danny Macocha

tiller is a virus !!! if he played as good as he can talk then he'd be a perennial all-star

[quote="Tipper"]

I couldn't agree more. Our assistants are a lost cause. They'd do well to take an introductory course in Canadian Football.

You don't actually believe that Marshall would take the job if offered, do you ?????

There's only one way to find out, isn't there?

Why not? What's up with him? He's been in the league for quite sometime and he has to be at least a step up from what we've got now.

I hear a guy named mathews was a pretty good defense coach

Mathews would certainly be able to do the job, but I'm not sure if he is available due to the mysterious health issue, or if he would be willing to take a job as an assistant.

This team has a number of issues to resolve. In the area of coaching, this is probably the area where they need the most help. Teams are moving the ball way to easily on us, and it is not just due to talent issues, but largely due to schemes and play calls. How many times are we going to line up with 3 guys on the line and rush 3 on second and long, and give the QB all day to make a play. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with rushing 3 (the argos often do this), but at least they put 1 or 2 LBS up need the line of scrimmage to try and disguise it so the QB thinks there may be more pressure!

Our secondary may not be the best, but the sack or rushed throw is the secondaries best friend. We are worst in the league at these two things, often because we don't have any blitz packages that allow someone to pressure the QB.

PJ

Denny Creehan would be the very best D Coordinator, he would be a great fit.