StubHub - the MLB and the Jays

Interesting story out about how the Jays (and all other MLB teams) are getting a cut from all tickets resold to their games on StubHub.

Some of the excerpts that really jumped out at me in that story - especially the comment about today’s game potentially being the highest revenue game in the history of Rogers Centre…

Ticket giant StubHub confirmed it has an arrangement with the Jays that gives the team a cut of every single ticket resold on its site, helping the baseball club to profit from the scalping of its own tickets. Glenn Lehrman, StubHub's global head of communications, declined to provide financial details of the deal but said this of the company's revenue sharing with the Jays and other Major League Baseball teams: "They do very well. Let's put it that way.
For the Jays home opener
- 20,519 tickets, 44.7 per cent of all Rogers Centre seats, were posted for resale. - More than 16,085 seats were listed for at least 50 per cent above their face value. - The average resale markup was 205 per cent. - 3,500 tickets were already posted on resale websites in January, a month before the box office opened.
Last week, Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro acknowledged that half of the team's 13,000 season tickets are held by "brokers" who resell seats for profit. He told Sportsnet the Jays are targeting a piece of the resale market in a bid to boost profits. "We're going to sell out opening day ... [b]It's probably going to be the highest-revenue game in the history of Rogers Centre[/b]," he said in the Sportsnet interview.
In the Jays' home province, lawmakers passed legislation they hope will curb the use ofbotsand cap markups at 50per cent above a ticket's face value. The new law is supposed to takeeffect July 1.

This is interesting for sure. So does this make tickets more costly for fans in the long run whether they purchased through StubHub or not?

I would say yes Earl. For that home opener almost half the tickets ended up on resale sites like StubHub - apparently at least half the season tickets - since the Jays admit about half their season tickets are held by ticket brokers who resell on sites like Stub Hub.

And as mentioned in the article the average resell price was 205% of face value. That means almost half the fans at that game yesterday paid inflated rates.

And with the Jays making money off the original sale and then making a cut of those resold on StubHub - understandable why Shapiro said it may have been the highest revenue game ever at the Rogers Centre for the team.

Well if it's all legal and people don't mind, I guess there isn't a problem, no different I suppose than a team that can charge very high prices on tickets and tickets getting sold, like the Leafs. Whatever works.

Don’t worry, after opening day and the Jays put on their usual crap performance, I’m sure tickets on the resale market will go down to -200% face value for the 17,000 fans that actually attend games

:slight_smile:

Those season ticket holder 'brokers' need to do well this weekend with the Yankees in town because they will REALLY struggle with early season weeknight games for the first few weeks of the season.

Tonight - the game I'm going to and tomorrow look like they should top 35,000 but games Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday against the White Sox will likely be among the smallest in five years - especially Tuesday night up against Toronto FC's game which is already a BMO Field sellout.

Then from mid-April on up against Leafs and Raptors playoff games - good luck!. Those weeknight games will be pint sized crowds too.

If the Jays had been getting a cut of StubHub sales in 2015 and 2016 - they would have made a killing.