Streaming Wars For Live Sports, Entertainment, and Gambling

As if right on cue from Wall Street, though via a different act, here we are in February 2024 already!

Essentially three of the big names in media have joined forces to form a venture for a single streaming app so as to leave Paramount / CBS and Comcast / Peacock as the odd ones out - for now.

Fox Corporation announced it is partnering with fellow media titans Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery for a new joint sports streaming platform.

The unnamed platform will streamline sports content that airs on the networks owned by the three companies, including ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, and truTV.

“We’re pumped to bring the FOX Sports portfolio to this new and exciting platform,” Fox Corporation Executive Chair and CEO Lachlan Murdoch said in a press release. “We believe the service will provide passionate fans outside of the traditional bundle an array of amazing sports content all in one place.”

If this works out, with much to do in the meantime, Fox will have played out streaming strategy the best by investing far lower amounts in Fox’s free streaming service, Tubi, instead of losing billions more as have all the other major media firms.

Fox, Disney, and Warner Brothers Discovery each will own one-third of the new venture.

There will be a standalone app for the new service. Subscribers to ESPN+, Hulu and Max also have access to the service.

Integration of existing subscribers of these three services should be interesting.

As of two weeks ago, I learned that I have free access to Hulu via T-Mobile phone and internet service, but I have not bothered to sign up yet because there’s nothing on regular Hulu without the live sports that I want to watch. So we shall see what comes next when this new app is launched.

1 Like