Streaming Wars For Live Sports, Entertainment, and Gambling

How Are Your Online Options or Mobile Options Working Out in Canada for the World Cup?

Here's a review of our situation in the US and those with VPN's with access to the US market.

World Cup Viewing Options Free and Vast in the US

NBC Universal and Peacock Botch Their World Cup Streaming Strategy Splendidly

More Reasons The CFL Should Avoid NBC Universal At All Costs

So as a World Cup fan, the following information has been brought to my attention by other fans.

I quite simply just watch the games on regular free TV either in Spanish on NBCU's Telemundo or in English on Fox.

Fox does put some games on lowly FS1, but of course then Telemundo is still an option for those without cable of the vast record number who have cut the cord.

Then apparently there is Tubi for replays after it appears a free subscription, and then one can also watch the lives games online via Telemundo's website as well without any sign-up or downloading any app.

So despite ample promotion, why would anybody use Peacock to watch the games? Or why would they sign up for Peacock only recently based on its use for the World Cup? Please note that Peacock only has Spanish-language rights to the games as well.

Indeed Peacock does come for free with one's cable internet subscription via XFinity, which they are promoting overtime during the games on Telemundo as otherwise competitors Verizon and T-Mobile are also heavy on promotions.

This reality indicates just how low the market rates Peacock, for it's already found multiple ways to avoid it altogether.

One way or the other, I figure Peacock lasts one more year before a rebrand in 2024 assuming Comcast does not buy out Disney for its 2/3 stake in Hulu and then go down that road.

That event by January 2024, as described in the link in a post above, is essentially the crossroads for NBCU's streaming strategy.

The CFL should not want anything to do with NBC Universal given that their streaming situation has begun a downward spiral.

2 Likes