Streaming Wars For Live Sports, Entertainment, and Gambling

The NFL Put Its Big Butt On The Scale Again for Comcast’s Peacock, or The Service Would Be Fading Out Faster Already

The owner of the Eagles, Jeffrey Lurie, spoke to the effect that streaming of games won’t ever be a mainstream offering of most games of the NFL, such as via Amazon Prime for Thursday nights and which is an outstanding production altogether.

Then again there is that NFL Sunday Ticket now that is a streaming product on YouTube with substantial delays after the real time play. And 1.3M actually pay for that!? Oh I get it for example if somebody does not have steady access to NFL games somewhere in the US, especially if working on Sunday, but that can’t be too many people can it?
:thinking:

Most NFL games, including always local games and those of one’s home team on the road, will continue to be FREE, as they should be as I would add on a personal level, but that’s another rant that goes with the failing regional sports network racket by local cable companies for too long.

Here’s what I think was the rationale for having this game in Brazil exclusively on Peacock:

1. GREED
    :unamused: :rage:

This is another shameless money-grab by Comcast and the NFL. Games on CBS, NBC, and ABC or ESPN are already simulcast onto their respective streaming platforms. There is no reason for an NFL game to be exclusively on streaming other than GREED.

1. Greasing Philly Palms
    :roll_eyes:

Comcast is a local player in pro sports here in Philadelphia, with a good relationship with all teams and ownership of the company that owns the Wells Fargo Center, plus the Flyers, where the Sixers and Flyers play right next to Lincoln Financial Field in the sports complex.

Here the Eagles wanted to throw them another bone beyond the NFL’s relationship with NBC for the #1 rated television program in the US for years now on Sunday nights.

This is Comcast’s artificially-engineered way to prop up its lagging and crappy platform Peacock for its future, much like was that playoff game with the Chiefs in it in January.

1. Skewing Valuation of the Peacock Brand and Service
    :fu: Peacock

As an unprofitable business on its own, Peacock is due for a merger and rebrand in time. The NFL and Comcast are gearing it up with metrics to set it up perhaps down the road of sports. The NFL is also interested in having more options for streaming services rather than fewer. The demographics skew younger of course, which Lurie mentioned in his comments.

1. The First Payback Action Aimed at Fox, ABC, and WBD for Proposing To Unify Their Streaming Services without “Consulting” the NFL
    :thinking:

Much as the NFL has made its displeasure known to media partners with action in the past, as it did to ESPN starting in 2003 in brutal fashion as ESPN paid multiples more for games and took its punishment with a beaming poop-faced grin, there is this secondary element to let the other media partners know again who is the boss:

“Oh I see. You want to have streaming for more sports now, but you don’t want to discuss it with us? Okay then, have it your way. Hmm. Let’s get another game on Amazon. Or Peacock. Or Paramount+. Yeah. How about that for discussion now, hmm?”

Meanwhile, I have no doubt the NFL has its operatives and legal teams helping the Department of Justice deal with the proposed merger of streaming services - to its favour of course.

Repeat items 1 and 4. And don’t piss off the NFL more if you value your media business.
:partying_face: :roll_eyes:

As the streaming population is growing and more NFL inventory is being placed on a streaming service, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie doesn’t see a significant amount of games getting taken off broadcast television. The NFL’s bread and butter is being over-the-air.

“I don’t see it more and more, but what I do see is population embraces streaming in certain ways, tremendously,” Lurie said at the NFL Annual Meetings this week. "So technically it was the wild-card game on Peacock that was a huge success. I think they had 21, 22 million viewers, technologically it was excellent. And so it’s also a younger demographic.

“The NFL like other sports leagues but we’re proactive when itself comes to demographics, we want to be younger at times, streamers and Amazons have the ability to deliver younger audiences. The beauty of NFL is most of it is on free television and it’s going to remain that way a long, long time, that’s the basis of the popularity of the NFL.”

Lurie doesn’t want fans to be concerned the league will have a bulk of its inventory on streaming.

2 Likes