Steven Jyles

For sake of comparison to a recent QB who was successful in an offence that used a lot a play action, Burris was masterful at those play action sets at Calgary from 2008 to 2010 (I only started watching CFL action with the Grey Cup in 2008) because he still had the feet and arm strength to make the deep sideline throws.

It’s arguable how much of that gas Burris has in his tank, but I am not sure what kind of offence they are going to run in Hamilton.

Does Jyles have the smarts to make the great reads as did Burris let alone that arm strength and accuracy for that deep wide ball once the defence cheats up too much?

I’m taking the under on Jyles in that regard if the Eskies are going to have him run a play action offence.

There is no better season for Jyles than this year…I’ll take the over.

Bingo, if Jyles cannot do it with a plethora of all star receivers his days in the CFL will be over. He is the uncontested starter now and wont be looking over his shoulder as the other QBs are not #1 starters.

He has shown glimpses of throwing well in games, but I think the real issue with this guy is inconsistency, he shows glimpses of brilliance but in reality he is pretty much a #2 QB in the CFL--

Most other Gm's agree with my take as he has been passed on as the starter by 3 other teams-

Most of what you say I agree. this is the only statement I have an issue with. Did you actually call and talk to all the GM’s about Jyles or is this just your opinion?

Good read/call oilerrocker; further more Guru [as for the GM in Toronto] Jyles wasn’t passed on as the starter for the Argos, he was traded in a package deal for Rick Ray. I guess we’ll see (some Skookum) when Ray enters Commonwealth, intrigued to say the least as this game will set the stage for Edmonton and Toronto I say.

Wishing Jyles the Very Best this Season. Could Do great. Reality WHAT made him a starter,leader, good QB over the winter??
In 6 years has NOT EVEN BEEN a GOOD BACKUP QB???

In all honesty I really think he hasn't had the type of receivers we have. He has two things that Ray didn't have the last couple of years one is good wheels which will help for a weaker O-line it keeps opposing D's from blitzing like they did with Ray. Joseph did have some success when he was able to run. the other is a strong arm If Jyles gets time I really think that our receivers will be able to get open deep and Jyles has the arm to throw it really deep.

I’ve said before that you can’t include DM trading Jyles because DM was an idiot.

:thup:

Jyles stats increased yearly since that happened; agreed :thup:

Actually I was giving the :thup: as DM is an idiot. :smiley:

Well the days of the idiotness is over. Jyles will start the season I say, but in all given interest for Edmonton; the river card in the hole that is “YET” to be turned over has one of the younger guys name on it for the #2 QB position. MATT NICHOLS

I saw a tweet from Dave Campbell recently that listed Jyles as one of his stand out players. That's good news. But I think we'll still have to go through some growing pains in the first 6 games or so because of the changes on offence.

Jyles has been given the nod as starter, from what I seen in the game against the Lions he really didn’t do anything I hope he was doing something in practice to wow the coaches. KJ looked a whole lot better.

With Jyles in there, no doubt I am nervous. Give it only five games Chief. Again I’ll be thrilled if we go 3-2, and that is accounting for a loss against Toronto and against BC.

If we cannot win more than 1 of the first 5, well … :? :frowning:

In the recent Kavis Reed video from yesterday states; there were plays not used in the B.C. game that will be ran in the game against Toronto. Also there are [few/some plays]/schemes that are mostly been talked about/in the film rooms will be used; as the Eskies are aware that practices are open to other people if I’m not mistaken.

well they couldn’t get there schemes that they did practice right against BC, how bad will they be on ones they have only talked about.

One can say in pre-season; Coaches look and evaluate players with Vanilla O plays and not worried about those plays.
Toronto’s D I would think are going to come from all angles; blitz wise to get to Jyles. With Carr, Stamps and Adarius Bowman along with Jyles on his roll-outs the #1 Offensive unit will be put to the test on these schemes. On the otherside of the ball; the Double Eagle Flex will be used in it’s entirety; Line-Backers and the Half-Backs showing different looks is what Ray is going to be dealing with.

The offence as built chiefly around Jyles for a short-yardage, field position, and even ball control (in the CFL?!) game may feel plain vanilla after that first game, but it's not.

We are in good shape in short yardage situations, but we have a lot of work to do for sake of pass routes and timing on long yardage. Did you notice all the different sets such as double tight, "tight bunch strong," and "student body wing left" on not only short yardage plays? Certainly the odd and new formations along with great line play threw off the talented front seven for the Argos for the entire game.

Also missing is a true deep threat once we get perhaps inside the 40, but Carr may have been neutralised by Watkins of the Argos in whom I think they have uncovered a gem.

With Carr matching up usually against DBs who are not 6-5 :o as is Watkins, we'll see if along with Stamps going deep from the slot if that opens things up for Jyles.

Jyles' arm strength looks solid, and I am optimistic now unlike almost the entire offseason.

Very good write-up Paolo X. On the contrary though; Kavis Reed said all along that the Esks were getting prepared for Toronto right from the Start of camp or shortly there after. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that Crandell puts together a designed game package for Jyles and the O on a game to game basis to beat a given team. My two cents on that take.