Steve Milton reappears

Wow!!!
A truly fabulous, informative interview!
Thanks for posting :+1:

5 Likes

When his hiring was announced, I predicted that I’d appreciate Steve, in his new job, mostly during training camp. Today, Rookie Camp Day 2, he came through, as I expected he might, with a great report, the likes of which I don’t recall ever hearing before from a Hamilton training camp. Scroll down, here, to the May 9th report: Ticats Audio Network - Hamilton Tiger-Cats

3 Likes

Blew team had to pay Williams’ off-season bonus.
His salary ie erased from the Cap.
The conditional draft pics in the trade are nullified.

7 Likes

Good report. Obviously some contingencies were in place for Williams in case he got hurt but I don’t think they were really what the team had hoped for. Mason Bennett or Diallo might be ready to step into bigger roles but I think those are big ifs. They signed Hendrix, Barlow and re-signed Davis for a reason. They were fortunate Makonzo was available but he might not make the leap to starting either. I’m also sure they would rather see Flowers-Lloyd there. By the way, is it just me or does Steve sound like he does two lines of blow before these reports?

2 Likes

Milty did a great job - clear, articulate and informative. I’m sure he wrote it, rehearsed it, and read from a script (as I would have done as well), likely having a 10-minute time constraint. It’s probably coffee, not blow, that helped him with the delivery (although the blow comment did make me laugh). IMHO Milty’s gift is in his words and not in his off-the-cuff speaking. However, I’ve had the pleasure of talking with him on two occasions, and you couldn’t meet a nicer guy.

7 Likes

I’ve spoken to him as well and agree he’s very approachable and down to earth. Was kidding about the blow obviously but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone speak faster in one of these podcast settings. Obviously lots of info to convey in a short time. The one rookie he pointed out at receiver was Shemar Bridges so I’m interested to see how he progresses.

3 Likes

His reports have been excellent in terms of content. His voice and delivery have been pretty average and poor so far. I assume he will get better over time. This still 100% beats the phoney “game show” style delivery we’ve gotten over the last 2 or 3 years.

3 Likes

Funny seeing Steve with a Ticats TV Mic
but glad to see he’s happy

3 Likes

Steve’s latest “Ticats Today” interview, a fairly short one, leaves me rooting for Justin McGriff at his second team training camp.
We knew, as last year’s camp came to an end, that he had suffered a serious leg injury and were left wondering what? And, how? Justin tells Steve he broke his “Tibula,” when the two lower leg bones are, actually, called Tibia and Fibula. Anyway, it was a serious break in his lower right leg, from an off-field accident, the details of which remain undisclosed. McGriff, 6’ 6" / 215, comes across as quite a likeable young man, who I hope makes the team he, almost certainly, would have last year. Ticats Audio Network - Hamilton Tiger-Cats - May 10th Edition

7 Likes

Hope he spent that time working on his hands, cause he couldn’t catch a cold during the days of camp I saw.

2 Likes

Calling it a “tibula” only makes sense if he broke both his tibia and fibula… lol
Glad to see him back competing, but like @Crash said, he seemed to drop as many as he caught.

I still remember the first pass that Bo ever threw for us in pre-season was a perfect touch pass down the sideline that would’ve went for six if McGriff didn’t drop it .

3 Likes

Crash, DisplacedCatsFan & bobo82:
I wasn’t aware of, or perhaps more likely don’t recall, talk about McGriff having trouble with the catching a ball part of being a WR. I only remember, media reports I guess, that he was very impressive in '23 training camp. Could be it was just his very, then, Tiger-Cat unusual height that made him stand out.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say he was horrendous, but yes his height stood out and became somewhat of a folklore legend in some parts that he would be a great professional receiver.

I recall a few drops, one big one in the preseason game like Bobo mentioned, and last year in camp I remember being more impressed with Bayless.

I think the reference to drops was more of a “cool your jets” to everyone that had him leading the league in receiving.

But it certainly was notable to everyone at camp as was his hamstring injury he had prior to the season ending one.

Edit - we had White, Williams, Johnson, Godwin and Bayless that were all well ahead of McGriff.
Imo.

7 Likes

Definitely agree about the hands. But he moved well for someone that size, pretty smooth in running his routes. Seemed to be a feast or famine type, one play a bad drop and the next a nice grab and yards after the play. They had him with the first team through most of camp and the preseason. A lot of that may have been due to the injuries to Williams and Johnson, but I think the talent is there.

Godwin is more entrenched this year, and the team has to be looking at two Canadian receivers. If he’s going to grab a starting spot it’s likely from Bayless but the hands have to improve and he needs to put in the work blocking for the other guys. Personally I could see him going to the practice roster but we haven’t really seen what any of the other new receivers can do - most of them have similar size so should be an interesting competition.

2 Likes

I know you worte this 12 hours ago, but he was just released.

Yup, didn’t age well.

2 Likes

Steve has been always at practices i’ve been to except for when he had some sort of surgery.

2 Likes

Yeah I know I know Steve quite well

2 Likes

Milton needs to speak into his Microphone when he asks questions.
I can’t hear what he’s asking sometimes.
In his interview with Beard today it was very noticeable.