Steinberg's MMQB: Look out...again

I have to say: I’ve loved what the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have done this offseason. The two-time defending Grey Cup champions have said goodbye to important players, led by hometown hero Andrew Harris and receiver Kenny Lawler, who was the league’s leading receiver in 2021. Sacrifices are the reality of a salary cap world, but I’ve been really impressed with how general manager Kyle Walters has navigated this landscape.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/04/18/steinbergs-mmqb-look-out-again/

Could it be that Kyle Walters is quietly becoming the 21st Century's version of Hugh Campbell? If he pilots the Bombers to a decade of dominance we'll know for sure. In the meantime I'm really impressed by Walters ability to field a frontrunner throughout this pandemic and now hopefully... beyond. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

No. Not going to happen. Say Ali Mourtada and defend his kicking motion.

New talent for Walters is Ellingson and Saunders. Haven't signed anyone new to the league since Ringmaiden left. Your a pretty nice guy but all wrong on this. The implosion is nigh.

1 Like

They said the same thing about the women getting the right to vote. Then look what happened.

[quote="carlos_harper, post:3, topic:77498"]

No. Not going to happen. Say Ali Mourtada and defend his kicking motion.

New talent for Walters is Ellingson and Saunders. Haven't signed anyone new to the league since Ringmaiden left. Your a pretty nice guy but all wrong on this. The implosion is nigh.

Have to agree. First of all, how can you not like Maaax? :smirk:

At receiver there's 1 who had a breakout year (Demski), 1 who is looking to have a breakout year (Bailey), 1 who's trying to channel 2018, his breakout year, (Wolitarsky), 1 who needs to bounce back (Ellingson), & 1 who hasn't played since 2018 & lost 2 seasons to major knee injuries (Saunders). Have they got backups who can rotate in or in case of injury with any CFL experience? What's missing in this article is any mention of backup strength. Grant, the returner, is the only one with CFL catches behind the starting 5 & he has 2 targets in 2 seasons with 2 catches for 6 yards. Sorry Maaax but I don't see it. Cross your fingers & hope you get no injuries.

1 Like

I always do that! :grin:

McKnight also played some last year, more than Grant.

We’ll see what happens, but the good thing is that receiver is just about the easiest position to parachute talent into during the season if necessary. If Saunders pans out, and I realize that may be a big if, the Bombers will be more than fine.

1 Like

'More than fine' is good enough for me. I'd have been happy with just 'fine' but now I'm aiming higher than middling. It's upper one third or bust. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Well, last year it was the kickers who were easy to find & then went Sergio hunting. This year the following comment after Walters was asked.

"Walters added the team has been exploring options and he’s talked at length to “a lot of kickers.” Same old problem, even before the receivers. :smirk:

So receivers are easy to find? Well, for some teams. The Elks had a run of 6 years with 5 of their receivers taking receiving titles. Calgary has found great receivers. Ottawa has had three 1,000 receivers in a season twice & 4 once in recent years. Winnipeg has had, in the past 7 years, Denmark, Dressler, Adams twice & Lawler who have had 1,000 yds. In the Walters era that's it. If signing Saunders when he's been available to anyone for over 2 months is an indication well......okay.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you look at the brass' comments on Grant's signing, which was also done 2 months after FA, they said "it's time" to get him involved on offence. Sure. All of a sudden they need him to catch balls. Call me menefreghista. :sunglasses:

Last year we finally fielded a couple of receivers who could turn some heads. Now that they've skipped town for more money that we could possibly offer our GM has gone back to those tried and true methods that brought them here in the first place (I'm not sure what those methods are exactly).

I think he's using magic. There's no other explanation.

Maaax. You're right & hopefully there is some more magic in the wand. Always love your comments. If you fed me truth serum, I would likely confess that I believe Ellingson WILL have a great season & that Bailey likely takes the next step. Some QB's (dare I mention Bo Levi to a Bomber fan) make their receivers better & I would say Collaros belongs in that group. It's not as much doom & gloom as I make it out to be.........I think...........maybe.........probably. :smiley:

1 Like

I must say, Winnipeg has really figured out a contingency plan for getting talent in. Or at least it looks like it. Pretty awesome to make such moves and not sit back and wait to see who is left. I guess we will see who makes cut and how much $ they can afford for the full time roster.

1 Like

That's the snap count we used when our backups were in behind centre last year. We had no idea what was going to happen.

"I think... maybe... probably... hut!... hut!...huuuut!!!"

We plan to rely heavily on IOU's this season. Our accounting department says we're so broke we can't afford to pay attention.