Steinberg's MMQB: How can you not feel good for MBT?

I think it’s so cool McLeod Bethel-Thompson is headed to the Grey Cup for the first time in his career as a starter. A true underdog story, a winding road, overcoming adversity…you choose the buzz term, and it applies to Bethel-Thompson. And now here he is, with the most stability ever in his football life, on his way with the Toronto Argonauts to the CFL’s biggest stage.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/14/steinbergs-mmqb-how-can-you-not-feel-good-for-mbt/

I was glad that Argos brain trust Mike Clemons stated that Argos quarterbacking duties will be handled by MBT for the 2022 season. :star_struck: MBT has improved each and every game throughout this unpredictable season. :wink: I firmly believe he is at the peak of his career, :100: with one big "exception" next weeks Grey Cup victory. :interrobang:

I'm supposed to feel good for a QB who consistently yells at & belittles his coach on national TV? Sorry, I have higher standards than that. My respect for Dinwiddy is falling rapidly as well for putting up with MBTs constant disrespect. I would never have him on my team & have absolutely no respect for him. Maybe someday he'll learn how to control himself, but until then he gets no respect from me.

3 Likes

Have you ever played competitive sports in your lifetime Porky :interrobang: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: Does this mean your not picking my Argos in this years "Big Dance" :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I get that emotions run high. I respect even more the strength & character needed to control those emotions. How many other pro players do we see yelling at their head coach? You guess correctly, I'm a western guy, go Bombers! :beers:

3 Likes

This man in photo has made a Lifetime of doing it. :bangbang:

Well Ace, if you're ok with it we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've said my bit.

1 Like

I was kind of hoping he would blow up again during the GC, thereby putting his team at a disadvantage. He does seem to be a bit of a man child.

2 Likes

I too, agree with comments made by PorkyPine (and not just because I'm a Blue Bomber supporter) but I've noticed this from MBT throughout his career and although he is very capable of playing some very good football, he in no way would be considered any kind of leader. Toronto has been playing very good football and would never discount their chances winning however, if the Western Champions should get a bit of lead, I have a feeling there will be a lot of fireworks on the Argonauts side lines. Composure is key in big games like this, we'll see how it all plays out.

1 Like

He's also an A-hole. A super successful A-hole. I respect the success, but not the person.

I'll be pulling for the Argos, but that would be a lot of fun.

1 Like

That's exactly why Macbeth deserves my respect. He's a competitor. He cares. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He is a man. Perhaps he's not the one who needs to grow up.

1 Like

I too was shocked to see MBT push and yell at his coaches for not throwing the challenge flag. (One coach did give him a healthy push back) The coach should have at least sat him out for a series or two. Later Dinwiddy did throw the challenge flag and lost - I bet he did it because of BMT. A QB like BMT would be sitting on the bench - and yes I have coached football in my life - this kind of behaviour is bush league stuff and he needs to be taught that. Does anyone really think that O'Shea or Steinhauer would have allowed this nonsense? Hardly.

1 Like

Comparing O'Shea to Dinwiddie is obviously ridiculous anyway, but for now, let's focus solely on the reason MBT was upset. He wanted his coach to throw the challenge flag on a play that would most certainly have been overturned. His coach has an abysmal track record with aforementioned challenge flag and wasted the one he had in the Eastern final as well. That has to be extremely frustrating for all the players. MBT is their leader so he stepped up. It's about time someone did. Oh yeah, then he went out and won the game for his team, who by all accounts love and respect him as the leader that he is. I wonder if the same could be said for their coach.

i hope the bombers drill MBT into yesterday

1 Like

I believe you are over-estimating MBT - he is only an OK QB. Regardless of his skill level (such as is it) does not allow him to disrespect his coach, nor the rest of his teammates - you wait, this will come back to bite him in the butt.

Agreed, Porky. And this is probably why his stay in Winnipeg was very short. O'Shea would never put up with such shenanigans. FIFO, and MBT obviously didn't fit in.

1 Like

Ahhh, you mean the "Cheater" of deflategate. Found guilty by the way. I have more respect for MBT than Cheater Brady. I will say that I believe MTB's days as an Argo are numbered. When you look at the great QBs of this League--Ricky Ray, Mike Rielly, Anthony Cavillo, Danny McManus, Henry Burris,---just to name a few, I can't ever recall any of them having a "hissy fit" like MBT last Sunday. That conduct may be what has been holding him back all of his career.

Porky, thank you for expressing what I have felt about MBT and I see there are others who agree as well, although its certainly not unanimous here. I can appreciate his stick to it-iveness to get here but fail to see how he's allowed outburst after outburst, his teammates must have learned to ignore that behavior. BTW, I spent most of my life in Maine and I have very little respect for Tom Brady either.

1 Like