Steinberg's MMQB: A superstar is born

It’s only been two weeks since we last led this column with BC Lions’ quarterback Nathan Rourke. But after ANOTHER incredible performance on Saturday night, it would be criminal not to do it again. I honestly believe we’re watching the beginning of Rourke’s ascension to superstardom. I honestly believe we’re watching the next face of the CFL.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/27/steinbergs-mmqb-a-superstar-is-born/
1 Like

Before the league crowns Rourke as the next king I’d like to see him do his stuff in Winnipeg against their D in a hostile environment in the cold…two comfy home games against two non-lethal opponents isn’t really a test now is it…

1 Like

I think we should enjoy Rourke's skill all we can. If he continues to play even clowe to what he has shown I'm sue the NFL will come calling with a big contract offer!

2 Likes

Very impressive and exciting to see what's happening in BC.
Yes, its early and we don't know if this will be the beginning of a great career or not but that could be said of every great QB.
Personally, I wish him all the best (except when he is going up against the Blue Bombers:)

I'm a believer in Karma. I kind of shudder when predictions get too bold.

1 Like

I believe in something else but yeah, that’s exactly my reaction too…

1 Like

Kind of agree. It's happened before in BC - twice in the last 2 decades. Jennings 1st season as the starter in 2016 he went over 5200 yds passing, 27 TD's 15 INT's. Printers in 1st full season as starter in 2004 over 5000 yds passing, 35 TD's 10 INT's. The fact Rourke is Cdn makes this a much bigger story but there's no guarantees.

1 Like

I'm one willing to give Rourke the benefit of the doubt. I see on Twitter, Bomber fans are all saying he's probably a flash in the pan. It will be a barn burner when the two teams play in a couple of weeks. Only then will we know for sure. Despite the doubts from Winnipegers, my bets are with Rourke.

2 Likes

Well, you may be right BUT BC is 1st in passing & rushing vs the Bombers 8th ranked passing D in yds/game & only Hamilton has given up more big passing plays. BC is 2nd in yds/game allowed rushing vs the Bombers yds/game which is 5th by virtue of running more than anyone. They get a combined 3.8 yds/carry. And they will be playing on 4 days rest in Vancouver after playing in the East next Monday. The good thing for the Bombers is Burnham is out. So they're dealing with 2 time changes going east & west. We saw what happened to the highly favoured Riders this past week. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I counted at least 4 total busts in the Argos secondary for touchdowns
That being said all the excitement in BC is refreshing and lord knows this league needs it
Thumbs up to lions ownership for doing a great job also
It’s a long year and the more film they get D coordinators will adjust
Should be fun
Go stamps go

1 Like

[quote="Bigreded, post:10, topic:78845"]

I counted at least 4 total busts in the Argos secondary for touchdowns
T

The beautiful thing about that was Rourke nailed them on it, saw them happening & made them pay for it. That's what we're excited about.
1 Like

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m excited for Rourke and the potential, I just wouldn’t be equating him to the CFL equivalent of Conner McDavid just yet…

…and it’s nice having BC being competitive again….I was appalled at watching Reilly the Crash Test Device last few years…

2 Likes

He's still under the NFL radar. The NY Giants had him in tryout camp as a receiver. No wonder why the Giants are a mess of a football team. They can't recognize QB talent when they have it

1 Like

Hubris by the Greeks is probably the more accurate term here: an excessive pride whereby the hero falls from grace. The fault, however, lies with the media, not with the young quarterback whose early success has flashes of future thrills. :star_struck: :maple_leaf:

2 Likes

The BC offensive line was terrible the last two seasons (2019,2021).

You could have put Tom Brady behind that line and he would take a severe beating.

Thank goodness for the Claybrooks era to be over after that disaster of a 2019 season.

Exactly, PP. He always found the right guy to throw to. How many time has Glen Suitor showed /commented on a replay where the qb doesn’t see a wide open receiver?

2 Likes

It took many years for Canadian talen to be recognized by the NFL and those players who made it as regulars seemed to be kickers or O Line'ers. And the America First thing is so prevalent that in any given year Canadians make up under 30 NFL positions any given year. So considering how long it took the NFL to accept Afro American coaches an q backs.. do you really think an NFL team would accept anything other than a home bred boy as a QB ? There would be bedlum in the streets !
Geez Louise say it isn't so

The desire to win can't be overstated. They would probably just call him an Ohio Bobcat & leave the rest under the table. :grin:

1 Like

And to complicate things look at the fact that there suddenly appeared on the horizon a QB Carson Wentz from a small almost unheard school, North Dakota state. N. D. by the way has the winningest record of almost any US college bar none. Bit they play in the Missouri Conference a league for smaller colleges. I don't even think they have an NCAA designation as in Div 1,2,3 etc.
So there was a great deal of curiosity about Wentz and NFL colour men made it a topic during Eagles games. So Wentz is now considered a bust but he opened the foor for Missouri Conference teams, especially N.D. State to get a look. So 49er's took a chance and drafted that schools QB Trey Vance.
If it took that long to accept smallUS schools how long before the league would accept a Canadian at the almost religious position of QB ? Maybe if the kid played that position successfully at a big US school ie: South East Conference, he might get a look as a backup.. maybe. God Bless America !

The Giants can't draft a QB. They haven't had a good one since Phil Sims

1 Like