Stegall is BACK!!!

[url=http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Football/2006/12/12/2752935-sun.html]http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Football/ ... 5-sun.html[/url]

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers -- and their fans -- are about to get an early Christmas present.

Star slotback Milt Stegall is going to play at least one more CFL season in Blue and Gold.

Stegall is scheduled to arrive in Winnipeg today to put the finishing touches on a 2007 contract, according to a team source. An official announcement of his return could come as early as today.

TD ALLURE

While the allure of breaking the CFL's all-time touchdown mark and chasing that elusive Grey Cup might appear to be factors, Stegall has said all along that his decision to play or retire would be based solely on what's best for his family.

His wife, Darlene, and two-year-old son, Chase, live year-round in Atlanta, where Darlene runs her own business.

Stegall needs two touchdowns to break the league's touchdown record of 137, and he hasn't won a Grey Cup during his 12-year career in Winnipeg.

Stegall, who will turn 37 in January, can still play the game. He led Winnipeg this season with 79 catches for 1,269 yards and also scored seven touchdowns, despite missing four games due to injury.

MARSHALL'S PLAN: Greg Marshall has watched the CFL's coaching carousel spin wildly around him for the last three weeks.

The Bombers defensive co-ordinator must be getting dizzy, because he's still standing in the same place.

Even though the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have let Marshall know they're interested in him for their head coaching position, he has yet to be interviewed.

The Tiger-Cats are reportedly waiting for an answer from Charlie Taaffe, their No. 1 choice who is apparently trying to find a better job in the U.S. college ranks.

Marshall, meanwhile, is at home in Edmonton, waiting patiently for an invitation to be interviewed.

"They just said they'd be getting back in touch with me, and that was about it," Marshall said yesterday from the Alberta capital. "They said they'd be getting back in touch with me, but I don't know where that's going."

THE OCs: Jacques Chapdelaine has left the Grey Cup-champion B.C. Lions to become the Edmonton Eskimos offensive co-ordinator and assistant head coach.

HARD PUSH

Chapdelaine spent the last four seasons with the Lions, including the last two as their offensive co-ordinator under Wally Buono, but Eskimos head coach Danny Maciocia made a hard enough push to lure him away from the Lower Mainland.

The assistant head coaching title puts Chapdelaine in position to one day take over for Maciocia, who oversaw the Eskimos offence this season.

A logical replacement for Chapdelaine in B.C. would be former Saskatchewan head coach Danny Barrett, who played quarterback for Buono in Calgary.

Meanwhile, the Toronto Argonauts are expected to name Steve Buratto their offensive co-ordinator at a press conference today.

Buratto was fired as Calgary's offensive co-ordinator last month after the Stampeders lost to Saskatchewan in the West Division semifinal.
Next story: Windy City warriors

I bet you he breaks the TD record and then retires!

…there’s no question he will break the td. record…and maybe …just maybe get a Grey Cup ring to go with it…welcome back Milt…along side Armstrong for the whole season should be awesome… :thup: :rockin:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/papazoola/milt3.jpg

i think the bombers are a lock for a home playoff game this season.

thank you jesus! next season will be amazing.

Not only can he still play, he's still the best receiver in the CFL, IMO.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Football/2006/07/25/edmsports200.jpg

Welcome back, Milt...just as long as we understand Armstrong is the go to guy in the endzone.
Milt only gets to score one more time....

Anyway, the Bombers need to find one more steady receiver and they will be tough next year.
Assuming that o-line can stay healthy.

I don't think we'll be seeing Stegall's play improve. From here it obviously only goes down hill(including the potential for more injuries). But that doesn't mean he still can't be one of the top 5 or 10 receivers in the league next season. And if used sparingly he could even stay healthy all season long.

Good to hear Milt is coming back. Would love to see him break the record as long as it's not against the Lions.

Milt is still a great receiver and can't wait to see him next season. All the best Milt

Glad to hear the news. We all know he'll catch those two passes to break the TD record early in the year I'm sure. But, lets hope this is a fairy tale season that ends with him hoisting the Grey cup. He deserves it.

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2006/12/13/2771086-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 6-sun.html[/url]

Milt Stegall believes so much in the Winnipeg Blue Bombers that he's giving them one more year.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have so much faith in Milt Stegall that they are giving the soon-to-be 37-year-old a raise, even though they are about to enter the CFL's new salary cap era.

And maybe, just maybe, they might hook up again in 2008.

"Never say never, but more than likely this will probably be it," the all-star slotback said yesterday after officially announcing that he was returning for a 13th season in Blue and Gold. "... Me coming back (in 2008), there's basically no chance of that. I'm saying that right now, but never say never."

Bombers GM Brendan Taman, who was celebrating his 40th birthday yesterday, gave himself a lovely present by signing the CFL's all-time touchdown receptions leader to a new, two-year contract, which includes an option for 2008.

RAISE

It's believed Stegall will get a $20,000 raise this season to about $200,000 -- approximately half of which was paid out as a bonus before the Grey Cup to beat the salary cap.

Stegall said all along that his decision would be based solely on what was best for his wife Darlene and two-year-old son Chase, who were with him for yesterday's press conference.

Darlene and Chase live year-round at the Stegall home in Atlanta, where Darlene runs her own business. Stegall's mom, Betty, has agreed to live in Atlanta during football season again next summer to help out with Chase, so Stegall is back.

He would not have returned, however, if he didn't believe the Bombers have a legitimate shot at winning a Grey Cup, which is something they haven't accomplished since No. 85 joined the club in 1995.

"The team is in the right direction to make something happen," said Stegall, a 2006 CFL all-star who finished fourth in the league with 1,269 receiving yards. "I'm not just talking about making the playoffs. I'm not just talking about having a home playoff game. I'm talking about winning the Grey Cup.

"It's time for a Grey Cup to come back to Winnipeg."

Turtle Man's return also means he will certainly break the CFL's touchdown record of 137, which is currently shared by George Reed and Mike Pringle. Stegall needs only two scores to become the three-down league's touchdown king.

All Stegall really wants, however, is that elusive Grey Cup ring. Head coach Doug Berry and defensive tackle Doug Brown believe just having Stegall in the locker-room next summer will go a long way in helping a Bombers squad that appears destined to improve on its 9-9 record from 2006.

"Every fan in the CFL understands what Milt's contributions are, in terms of his numbers," Berry said. "What they don't know is what he means to me, having him here in this locker-room."

Added Brown: "I've played with some pretty outstanding athletes both in the CFL and the NFL, but in terms of just putting all the qualities of the consummate professional into one person, Milt's quite the shining example."

Although I am not a Bomber fan, it's good to see Stegall coming back to grab that record. He is an all-around class act who showed a great deal of loyalty to Winnipeg (much like Cahoon here in Montreal). I respect that. :thup:

Milt is a first class guy and the Bombers and the CFL in general are lucky to have him back. If Milt can remain healthy it would be great to see him win a Championship(I will still cheer for my team however). The question mark is him staying healthy, I hope I am wrong. Milt has a history of late season injuries and in particular it has been my observation that he tends to get injured in cold weather(I have brought this up before) I think if you were to check it out, the majority of his injuries have occured in cold weather situations, which is not totally unusual.

Best of luck. I'm hoping for a Eskimo - Blue Bomber final, with Steggal winning the Grey Cup MVP in a losing cause.

I always figure if you're going to dream, do it in technicolour.