Staying in the 'Peg: Jefferson inks one-year deal with Bombers

[quote="WeGotTheCup, post:18, topic:75942"]

Playoff $$$ and a Gargantuas ring doesn't hurt either.

To bad there will be no more rings

Ohh Good one, ouch!

You could have three good ones for that money. Winnipeg only knows how to pay.

His 2020 salary of 265K you refer to is irrelevant, Mack. Outside of bonuses paid out before the season was cancelled, nobody got paid anything so if you want to go there then Winnipeg saved 265K. This year he was paid 205K in real money & the Bombers are paying him 20K more for 2022. As for Sewell, yes he was prorated but the CAP also was for 14 games. So the net result vs the CAP is the same. I’m using the 18 game salaries as a basis, assuming this season is 18 games.

So Sewell’s salary was $135K but for your presentation it looked better at $109K. Point being Walters will find a way, all teams won’t look the same in 2022, and the money that needs to be spent to sign someone will be sent. It looks like the Stampeders lowered the bar for starting QBs, so maybe Zack gets signed for less than what most on here think.

I seem to recall you guys talking up how everyone is glad to play in Winnipeg & will take one for the team to keep everyone together.

Hey Kenny, Kyle here. I know you topped the receiver charts but, you know, take one for the team so we can 3peat.
But, Kyle, Willie & Jeff, got raises.
I know, Kenny, that’s rough. But think of ME. I still gotta pay Zach & Adam - he took a big cut last year.

The bar’s been set. What was it? A dozen All-Stars. Yeah, all glad to to take one for the Bombers. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Ok Stop… now take a deep breath…
Now write that all over again, but this time in English please.

1 Like

Fair enough, Mack. I used the 109K in error. So Jeffcoat was under 135K. He may have been under 109K. I don’t know. Just reported that Hardrick got $150K making him up with the highest RT’s in the league. We haven’t even got to the other 2 All-Stars on the OL. The 1st time All-Star is saying he wanted to stay or he could have gotten more on the market. So that’s what Bomber discounts look like. Hey, I got a raise putting me up there with the best paid @ my position. But, just happy to be here. The point everyone has been saying all along is this - the players are all looking at raises after 2 Grey Cups - AND all of the big signings have gotten them to put them near or at the top of their positions. Do they deserve the money? Yes. But what everyone has been saying is exactly what’s happening. It’s going to be a fun free agency this year.

Bonuses were paid in 2020. My guess is the Bombers paid everyone in order to keep the team together while Wade pushed his dome plan.

Bighill and Harris retire. That’s my prediction anyway

Then we see how good the Bombers head office is. My guess is not very good. Built a team on free agents

I hope they don’t so they don’t have excuses for not making the playoffs

Hey the best players should get paid the most, I predict far more busts in other organizations than Winnipeg. The current regime has been able to fill gaps with entry level contracts (Nichols, Alford, Jones, etc), I’m more than confident they’ll do it again. Coaching staff is the most solid in the league, it’s a pleasure to see all the comments on here on how players are performing at a different level in Winnipeg than they did on their team. Just waiting for Biggie so we can “Let’s Go Baby”, one more time.

2 Likes

:laughing:… are they actually?

Jefferson has been dominant in Edmonton and Sask now Winnipeg

Pretty sure Bighill won defensive player in BC.

Harris was good in BC.

Stanley Bryant won OL of the year twice in Calgary.

Who has actually elevated their game in Winnipeg?

WJ has hit a new high in Winnerpeg. He even dissed sask last year, saying how WPG is way better with better fans.
Bighill was thought to be over the hill by BC, like Harris....but they both still had MVP years in them. Bryant was a brutal mistake by the Stamps to let him go.

1 Like

Money talks

Darvin Adams, Winston Rose, Zach Collaros, Nic Demski, Mike Miller.

Off the top of my head , in reverse, both Labatte and Chungh were all stars in Winnipeg and haven’t played at the same level since they left.

1 Like

Nonsense. I just posted on the Jeffcoat thread what Doug Brown said about their recruiting philosophy this week. On defence, yes they do pay more for their linemen and linebackers and they have the best in the league. In the secondary they pay less and recruit more than anyone in the league, and are also the best. Two different approaches that mesh and have been successful and doesn’t necessarily result in the highest payroll overall. Interesting approach. It works for them right now.

1 Like

Demski is average even on the Bombers.

Rose was good before.

Collaros has been a good qb. His only knock is staying healthy.

Who is Mike Miller?

:laughing:.

Keep throwing on the hate…just shows the envy. Mr. 4 Cups

2 Likes

Only a couple of jaded Rider fans would consider Demski average :laughing:
Rose was a young up & comer leaving BC, Bombers saw his potential and he reached it here. Who’s Miller, LOL!

1 Like