Staying in the 'Peg: Bombers, Schoen agree to one-year deal

WINNIPEG — Just a few hours after inking a new deal with their star running back, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers agreed to terms with their All-Star receiver Dalton Schoen.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2024/02/06/staying-in-the-peg-bombers-schoen-agree-to-one-year-deal

WOW, announcements of both Schoen & Brady sticking with the Bombers. Super Fantastic. Time for a celebratory beer. :beer: Or 5 :beer::beer::beer::beer:

5 Likes

As usual the media are taking all the fun out of free agency. It used to be something exciting to look forward to like Christmas morning. Now they tell us everything a week before the announcements can even be made official.

Ok Hervey. The ball is in your hands. Schoen is off the market. Better keep Tim White. Or fumble.

Ok, now I am suprised.

We NEED to draft well this year to have some depth on the roster. I don’t think we bring in any Dline or Oline help in FA now.

5 Likes

Geez. Go out for a nice lunch break with buddies & all kinds of news. Yeah, I’m a bit surprised. That’s a lot of money invested in 3 Receivers & a RB. But, hey, everybody has a strategy & if it works out in the end then you don’t have to answer to anyone.

Wonder how the D’s are gonna look - lot of heavy artillery on the offensive side of the ball.

1 Like

Worst case scenario it’s a morph of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Miami Dolphins. All the firepower in the world in the summer, and all the flaws revealed in the winter. Gonna be a fun ride! :grin:

3 Likes

You’re probably right. A key question that remains is whether they will be able to re sign Ricky Walker on the D line. I think many teams would be happy to have him. The Bombers reportedly made him an offer some time ago but crickets since then. He’s at least seeing what the market has to offer.

2 Likes

Probably a - we sign you and we lose him, or we sign him and lose you - so if you split the difference and each take a little less we can manage to keep both of you.

I knida figured Olivera was not leaving - it was just putting the puzzle together to fit other guys they really wanted to keep in.

Thats probably the same for a lot of guys - finding market value vs what they are being offered.

2 Likes

Amost 1/4 of cap wrapped up in 3 players… Bombers whats up? Lets see the books

1 Like

[quote=“Hometown_Fan, post:5, topic:90669”]

Ok, now I am suprised.

We NEED to draft well this year to have some depth on the roster. I don’t think we bring in any Dline or Oline help in FA now.

3Downnation made an interesting observation regarding that OL you mention With the sudden retirement of Richmond who was the perceived replacement, that leaves a Micah Vanderpool as the lone OT on the roster. Richmond only made 2 starts in his 3 years in Wpg &

“'was slated to earn near the league’s minimum salary in 2024 and, per sources, was unwilling to return to Winnipeg without a new contract.”

Depth indeed, Hometown!!!

Yup, we need it. A it’s looking like draft is our best option.

1 Like

Only significant losses for talent rich Bombers were OT Hardick & oft-injured DL Jackson Jeffcoats. Hardick was a no-nonsense, physically imposing cast member that most CFL defensive linemen were unable to move against his will. Hardick’s deficiency was brain-power. He was often fooled by swim moves and certainly had little to no ability to contain a perimeter rush.
Jeffcoat was top notch. Classy & physical but the wheels had begun falling off. His cost was getting too high, too! Demerio Houston was the 3rd guy who they let walk to Calgary evidently because they refused to jack him $20k.
Problem with replacing these guys is mostly the US TV league in the spring taking a flock of good players (mostly under-sized, under-powered) off the market. Could be a solid o-lineman, defensive end, ferocious corner, etc. the Bombers will have to make do without.

Houston was a gun-slinger who made bail most of his efforts. Occasionally ravaged for major yards. Bombers will try to train & deploy a systems player in his absence - in keeping with their wide zone defensive strategies.
The biggest hill to climb might be on d-line. Old Blind Jake doesn’t have much oomph to his game, Willy J still has range and skills in his pass rush but not much oomph and the guys Bombers have rotated in on d-line follow the pattern. Lots of clash, not much in the way of results. Need to find a Betts or the like or opposition QBs will have a field day as the Bomber rush will be timed with a calendar, not a stopwatch.

1 Like

There’s that. The Bombers have had pretty good success drafting OL. The problem is finding National OT’s. Dobson & Eli were both interior guys as were guys like Desjarlais, Couture, Chungh etc. But this draft the OL takes up half of the top 10 prospects & most of the top 20 so there’s that.

The Bombers have run into what I call the “Bladek” problem. After 3 years he wanted starter $$ but LaBatte re-upped. So in 2020 Bladek left, with buddy Blake, & Shepley went south .LaBatte never played again & the Riders are still trying to recover - enter Hardrick. Richmond has been paid the minimum for 3 years, sees his chance but what do you pay him? He’s barely started. So the other question is, if you’re not sure he’s ready after all this time, what was the backup plan all along? The questions on Richmond surfaced among the media last year when nobody was sure Bryant was coming back.

You’re absolutely right about the OL & DL. Is Jeffcoat, or worse, Walker leaving?

Yeah, it needs to be an area of focus. Not splashy but very necessary.

My hypothesis is quite frankly it could have been a “win now” mentality and don’t worry about back up plan now. Not ideal.

Losing both would be borderline catastrophic. I expect Jeffcoat is out, hopefully freeing up cap for a couple younger players with upside, maybe a late FA addition of an older vet as well.

1 Like

Looking at down-roster receivers, I’m inclined to think they let Bailey go. With the rest of the division stronger than before at KR, it seems a priority to keep Grant. Canadian depth like BOO is important, too.

1 Like

There are still lots of players available. If, at the end of the day, you see virtually the same squad as last year how happy would the fans be if we see the same result? The Bombers issues are more on D IMO.

Steinberg on Dec 27 had his top 10 games of 2023. The Bombers featured on all 3. The GC game, the Dustin Crum game & thirdly, the Labour Day game. Every game featured the Bombers dropping leads late in the games & losing - the 1st two in spectacular fashion. Having a top notch QB, a trio of receivers who may have been the best, the top RB in the league & solid OL is great. But what about the D?

Schoen has a one year deal worth $230k

Oliveira has a two year deal worth $230k, $240k with a $1k bonus

2 Likes

Absolutely right. I just don’t think it will be a big signing to fix it. It has to be smart moves with skilled developing players to fill gaps. Risky but everyone else in this league does the same thing.

1 Like

BTW, there’s no Santa Claus…Merry Christmas. I got you socks.

1 Like