STAY OUTSIDE

HEY I am from montreal and have been to the big oweeeeee or big toilet bowl many times before I moved to riderville...I had a few years of being able to spend a few nice summer nights at the new outdoor stadium at McGill stadium and hey outside is where football is meant to be...dont do it like all the big peoples say bigger is better...well 27 thousand seats is big enough and outside on a nice summer night is the place to be to watch a good old down to the last throw cfl style game..retractable or not its not the place to be...outside is trust me...thank you U2 for showing Montreal where its at and well we are building it bigger now but the olympic stadium as far as I know should be 2 sticks of boom boom to the ground...flush the bugger down the drain it came from and let the outside life begin..we are Canadians and are stuck inside all winter long anyways for the most...get outside and enjoy 'er EH! :cowboy: :thup:

So... instead of going into a completely renovated stadium with a RETRACTABLE ROOF which gives us the best of both worlds, and the new jumbotron and sound systems, we should stay at a temp venue that isn't fully covered on rainy days (which there are WAY more of on the west coast that in Montreal).

Anyone who thinks we should stay at Empire needs to use common sense. A retractable roof means closed when wet, open when dry.... don't know why that's so hard to understand. BC Place is going to be one of the best stadiums in North America after the renos.

the problem is you won't see any of the scenery like the mountains as Empire stadium

Football is meant for the outdoors! The crowd will be more lively. Nothing better than sitting in the stands when it is raining and everyone is going nuts! :rockin:

Will be weird though not seeing B.C in a dome.

Yup, soaking wet, wind blowing, Yuck! Been there done that at the Old Empire Stadium. Revisiting that this year will remind me how grateful we have it here to have a dome stadium.

We are going to have the best of both worlds with a new bc place, i think everybody right know is so use to how bc place looks and feels for the past 26 years , that is all they will remember, , when the new bc place is done it will look and feel like a brand new state of the art world class stadium. The only thing that will be wrong with it is yes you will only see as secnery goes tall buildings and the open sky ( not the mountains that empire give you) and it is way to big for cfl football for a regualr season game i do not care who is playing bc place will never ever sell out a regular season game it is way to big, but if somehow they can reconfigure were the roof can cut off around 20,000 seats ( like the whitcapes are going to do) so it hold 40,000 for football for the regular season, and then open it up to the regular 55.000 for playoffs and grey cups, then it will be owsome, but right know it is way to big and that is why you are going to get more people right know saying that they are more excited of being in a regualr cfl size stadium at 27,500 seats than looking around bc place and seeing all those empty seats.

here is what bc place is getting in renovations form what i have seen.

1. A new retractable roof ( over 100 metres of clear blue sky, opens up the entire football field bigger than you think)
  2. High def Replay Screen/ Scoreboard, like at Gm Place but bigger ( you can see it no matter were you are sitting)
  3. Concessions, ( with all high def tv 's to watch wile you are waiting in line) Washrooms, Interier, exterier, all re done and freshly painted.
    4, new club seats, new boxes, new resturants
  4. roof has the ability to block seats for any ocassion
  5. concorse all re done and freshly painted.

This is just some of the renovations that will be redone, on the outside i am sure it will will look as new as the inside.

Actually BC Place will still be a terrible stadium but with a new ‘outdoor’ atmosphere.

Lest we not forget that even if you are in the first row of the lower bowl you are still 50 feet from the sideline. Compare that to Seattle where you would be 12 feet away. Plus with the way newer stadiums are building more vertically, even if you are in the back of the upper deck you still don’t feel like you are watching from a different area code. Ever watched from the top row in the Dome? Did you even know it was Football going on down there?

Not to beat a dead horse but this is going to be a half billion taxpayer dollars spent to marginally improve the experience for the fans. - And unlike other constructions around town, has nothing to do with the 2010 Olympics. Thanks but no thanks.

If left with only those two options, I’d have no problem paying less tax and watching games at the old Empire site permanently.

[quote="YoEleven"][quote="ik17"]Lest we not forget that even if you are in the first row of the lower bowl you are still 50 feet from the sideline. Compare that to Seattle where you would be 12 feet away.[quote]

A small correction, all NFL stadiums have a 30' (10 yds) boarder around the field. 24' for the players bench, and a 6' boarder. So you're not that much further away.

[url]http://pioneerathletics.com/pdf_files/professional_football.pdf[/url]

Actually BC Place will still be a terrible stadium but with a new 'outdoor' atmosphere.

Lest we not forget that even if you are in the first row of the lower bowl you are still 50 feet from the sideline. Compare that to Seattle where you would be 12 feet away. Plus with the way newer stadiums are building more vertically, even if you are in the back of the upper deck you still don't feel like you are watching from a different area code. Ever watched from the top row in the Dome? Did you even know it was Football going on down there?

Not to beat a dead horse but this is going to be a half billion taxpayer dollars spent to marginally improve the experience for the fans. - And unlike other constructions around town, has nothing to do with the 2010 Olympics. Thanks but no thanks.

If left with only those two options, I'd have no problem paying less tax and watching games at the old Empire site permanently.

This statment makes a lot of sense but lets not judge it unless you try it. I do agree that having a bigger open roof would be great but with that type of stadium that is the best they can get. and the money they are spending is a lot cheaper than building a knew one, the cost of knocking bc place down and building a new stadium would be worth way more than they are paying know.

[quote=""dupsdell""] We are going to have the best of both worlds with a new bc place, i think everybody right [u][b]know[/b][/u] is so use to how bc place looks and feels for the past 26 years , that is all they will remember, , when the new bc place is done it will look and feel like a brand new state of the art world class stadium. The only thing that will be wrong with it is yes you will only see as secnery goes tall buildings and the open sky ( not the mountains that empire give you) and it is way to big for cfl football for a regualr season game i do not care who is playing bc place will never ever sell out a regular season game it is way to big, but if somehow they can reconfigure were the roof can cut off around 20,000 seats ( like the whitcapes are going to do) so it hold 40,000 for football for the regular season, and then open it up to the regular 55.000 for playoffs and grey cups, then it will be owsome, but right [b][u]know[/u][/b] it is way to big and that is why you are going to get more people right [u][b]know[/b][/u] saying that they are more excited of being in a regualr cfl size stadium at 27,500 seats than looking around bc place and seeing all those empty seats.

[/quote]

What is with the extra k's? if you want people to take you seriously at least read over what you put down.

Possibly at some stadiums; but next time you’re in Seattle go take a tour of Qwest Field. At the goallines the wall is right out of bounds; At the benches you’re a bit further back but still extremely close.

Amazing venue, shame about the football.

So should every stadium be redesigned to fit that mold? Look at the Superdome in New Orleans and then complain about how far you are from the sidelines. Give nthat BC Place is built to also hold baseball, you're very close to the sidelines compared to most stadiums that are multi-purpose.

I think you misunderstand from my first post. My issue is with how little increase in experience we will get compared with the amount of tax dollars spent on the project.

Either spend more to build a great stadium or at least don’t waste large sums of money to make minor improvements. Don’t forget this is your money going into it too.

i think your forgetting this refurbished stadium is not just only about the bc lions. at more than 200 events are held every year in bc place such as car shows, family fun events, concerts, trade shows etc. this improvement in facility or upgrade would bring world renowned events more to bc place such as more music concerts and other highly thought events. but maintenance would cost less. it all adds to the experience at bc place.

Regarding there are over 200 events there with the new roof? You do not need 60,000 seats for that, even the big Concert acts will still come if there were around 45,000, seats. It is still way to big for any event.

Actually, the new roof option is part of the plan to move all the 'indoor' events to the new convention centre on the waterfront. BC Place won't be seeing the same number of days of use afterwards. Only 2 things are certain in life - Taxes and questionable uses with those Tax dollars.

At Commonwealth Stadium, arguably the coldest in the land, you feel as if you're sitting in the sky and it feels great. At BC Place it's like sitting in a toilet bowl and you just want to get drunk to forget the sterile atmosphere. I've done both. If all stadiums were like Commonwealth we wouldn't even be worried about the CFL cause they'd all be full! :roll: imho

thanks for reminding us of a particularly painful subject. (alternatively we're happy for you)