Statistics Show Als Defense Poor

Like most fans I have perceived that the Als have a poor defense. To look at this from a statistal point of view,the Als have the second worse pass defense in the 8 team league. The stats below rank pass defense stats.

Team Ranking

Ave Yards Given Up Passing Per Game 6th
Ave Yards Per Pass Given Up 7th
Fewest Ist Downs Per Game Passing 6th
Lowest % of Passes Completed 7th
Fewest Passes Completed 7th
Average Gain Per Pass 7th

The above are negative stats For example, a team that gives up the lowest yards completed would rank 1. The Als defense against the pass averages 7 meaning that Hamilton were the only team to do worse than the Als. The Alouettes defense line scores well against the run. It was second in QB sacks and statistically the defensive line looks OK from a statistical point of view.

In summary, using statistics gathered fron cfl.ca, the Alouettes rank second to last in pass defense in the 8 team league. These stats would support the many comments posted on the cfl.ca site which are critical of the Als pass defense.

Very true but you did leave out the stat that is ultimately used to determine who wins and who loses...

PTS given up - 2nd

The opposition WILL get yards. Just keep them out of the end zone. Als offense will also have to be firing on all cylinders and keep long, sustained drives going.

Exactly, with the Als exceptional 1st quarter production. Teams abandon their running game an pass against the Als.

Not to mention how improved the pass rush was this year. You have to pick your poison, when there is a lot of real estate the Als bend and give up the dink and dunk but as they get to the red zone it works in their favour.

Having a healthy Couborne in the lineup will help the Als run the ball when they need to. Imoh gets good production but he is not as punishing a back as is Cobourne.

The problem with this approach is that it keeps our offense off the field far too long. At some point, your D has to make a frickin stop. No ifs, ands, or buts.

The pass rush is improved, but it’s been negated by the fact that our pass coverage has become atrocious. If you give receivers an open release off the line of scrimmage, it is pitch and catch for a top QB like Ricky Ray. You have to jam those sumbitches at the line and disrupt the timing of their routes, but in order to do that, you also have to have the cohones to play your receiver close. Since our DBs are terrified of being beaten over the top and our defensive coordinator, who is also our secondary coach, has seemingly never heard of the term ‘press coverage’, all we can do is watch as the other team dinks and dunks us all the way down the field and then scores.

Don’t be fooled by the points against stat, which was padded by many games against poor East division teams with lackluster offenses. League-wide, we are second-worst against the pass, which astonishingly means that we’re worse than at least one team that didn’t even make the playoffs.

Well, fact of the matter is we are playing the Eskimos next Saturday and did manage to hold Ray the last time they were here.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Go Als!

True. All I'm saying is this dosen't make them the 2nd worse defense in the league. Pass coverage became "more problematic" when Randy Drew went down and the Als being assured of the division spent the last third of the season experimenting.

In a one game elimination, it comes down to making plays. In 2002 Woodcock made the play that won the game. Last year Payton fumbled the ball at the goal line if I remember well and that lost the game. It comes down to making plays, both teams will surprise their opponent as much as possible. I feel the Als have more playmakers then Edmonton. They are playing at home, they are healthy and well rested. Edmonton just played in horrible weather traveled back last night and then have to travel to Montrreal and play a game at 9am Saturday morning. There is no excuses why the Als should not win this game. I think they have the heart and the belief in each other to accomplish this.

I agree with you HfxTC, but I think Edmonton may come to Montreal earlier than Friday, to get use to the time difference...Hopefully not, though :lol:

That's fine then it hurts their preparation and even if they come a day early that won't make up 3 hours time difference a week after dealing with one hour time change :slight_smile:

If I am Trestman. The "word" to my defensive coordinator is : Maker sure you get to Ray and get to him early.

I dont mean to nit-pick but it would be 11AM

My bad...Thanks

If our D can't deal with a single injury, then we aren't in any better shape. Drew is our best cover DB, I grant you that, but to me, the 'experimenting' during the last third of the season didn't amount to anything. What, precisely, were we experimenting with? Different coverages, schemes, formations? All I saw were players shuffled in and out of the same defense. I didn't see any experimenting. On second down, you could almost guarantee that we'd drop into a soft zone that would be picked apart by every offense we faced. You could also guarantee that we'd vacate the middle of the field and fail to account for any receiver on the flat, so that no matter how much yardage was needed to get the first down, the opponent could usually achieve it by running straight up the middle for 15 yards without a single Als defender in sight (Burris) or dumping a pass to a receiver or running back in the flat (everyone else). We couldn't knock down passes, we couldn't win contested catches, we rarely got INTs, and were often beaten for big gains or TDs at the worst possible times. I'm not trying to be bleak here, but I saw this crap again and again and AGAIN. No change. No ability to adjust at halftime. Just the same old soft coverage and schemes a 5-year-old could figure out.

It's a disrespect to our personnel, because they're better than this. We have lots of quality talent on the defensive side of the ball but they aren't being utilized properly.

In a one game elimination, it comes down to making plays. In 2002 Woodcock made the play that won the game. Last year Payton fumbled the ball at the goal line if I remember well and that lost the game. It comes down to making plays, both teams will surprise their opponent as much as possible. I feel the Als have more playmakers then Edmonton. They are playing at home, they are healthy and well rested. Edmonton just played in horrible weather traveled back last night and then have to travel to Montrreal and play a game at 9am Saturday morning. There is no excuses why the Als should not win this game. I think they have the heart and the belief in each other to accomplish this.
This I agree with. It does come down to who makes the plays. And if we're going to beat anyone, it would probably be a young Edmonton team with an up-and-down defense and with an offense missing (thank God!) Jason Tucker, Alouettes Killer. That being said, Ray looks to be in a zone right now, which historically has always been bad news for the Als. In order to win this game, our offense is going to have to score a lot of points, because I don't think our D is good enough to win us a tight, low-scoring game against one of the top QBs in the league.

I think Montreal getting they're butt kicked in Edmonton was a good thing. Now Montreal knows Edmonton CAN beat them, so they won't go in thinking it's gonna be a cakewalk. Basically, if you stop Ray, you stop this entire Eskimo offence. That's why the front 4 is gonna have to have a huge game. Football, begins with the lines. If Montreal can get in Ray's face, force a quick pass. I don't think Montreal's 40-4 win over them was a fluke, and I believe they can have a similar game. It comes down to who wants it more, and I think Montreal is gonna be defending home turf at Grey Cup.