Statement on the use of microchip-implanted footballs on kicking plays

With the kickers complaining about the chip,
If the League doesn’t eliminate the chip(obviously they should but probably won’t),
Will we start to see going for 2 point conversions??

2 Likes

Wait a second, kickers who are missing kicks are complaining about this? Link?

Anyway, I’m not buying it. The NFL, and I think also UFL balls, are chipped and the kicking game is just fine.

1 Like

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/07/sergio-castillo-rips-cfls-new-chipped-footballs-fellow-kickers-come-to-his-defence/

4 Likes

And I’m not convinced we even have to go that far, for technology already exists to check the position of the ball carrier and then to adjudge the position of the ball whenever there is a touchdown or safety called at the goal line.

But I figure a chip on each of the tips and on the top and bottom of the ball certainly could not hurt.

Now via video on some occasions the ball cannot be seen, in which case all we have to go with is the call of the viewing official(s) on the field in real time,
and as this is thankfully not college football and the associated home cooking on that front,
I’ve been satisfied in those instances with going with the call on the field after the officials have a conference anyway these days.

There is now technology though associated with the yardage for first down that is being implemented this season in the NFL, after successful tests in the 2023 season in a few stadiums, which would seem to me capable of adaptation for the same objective. Stay tuned.

Well now I do believe them! The kickers know.

Having kicked around a lot myself via soccer, rugby, and football, indeed before free kicks or other kicks from ground, it’s common to swipe off even any mud or debris from the ball before kicking.

It just sounds to me like they either need a better design for the chip or not at all on kicking balls because there is alternative technology now at hand.

Then it would be smart to blind test the chipped balls with kickers in an A/B set-up. If the B sample do not notice and there is not a statistically signficant variation over a set number of dates, the chipped ball would be just fine.

I have to wonder if they even conducted such tests ever with the chipped balls with kickers?
@BetweenTheGoalposts @JoeyT

3 Likes

The chips are more for stats of injuries and forces applied to the human body than for calling penalties

1 Like

Could they not be like any other professional league and try to implement changes at a lower level first? It seems every year we complain about something the league has broke.

It would look way less bush league if they went to high schools, junior varsity squads, or U Sports with rule changes for a year and then bring it forth once it is tested and proven. If you give these leagues a little bit of pocket change, they might be more compliant and help out.

2 Likes

I just spoke with another player who doesn’t want their name getting out but he had this to say;

We knew about the chips in the balls for few months now, but i only know/seen video of one current CFL player who was able to get access to the balls early (only in December) and they were all curving left. Most guys were only able to start kicking the new balls at the start of camp.

The “chip” is underneath the logo, just on the side of the ball making the weight distribution lopsided.

3 Likes

You’d think that short of actual testing by players that the powers-that-be would at least verify the mass and balance of the new ball verses the old… but this being the CFL, NOTHING surprises me.

1 Like

I would love to see a pic of it Cant see it screwing up the balance or weight…and it it does…counterbalance

I am convinced that kickers could easily learn to adjust. I would like to try it sometime

If there is a balance issue and one has kicked a football as we know it in their entire lives, no it’s not an easy adjustment at all as you assume here.

I’ll happily believe Brett Lauther and others now.

It was a different issue for example, but there were major issues with the piece of crap ball used for the World Cup in 2010 in South Africa. FIFA never looked back after that disaster, and only duped people and chiefly Americans bought those back then.

Of course all that is irrelevant if they simply test the balls blindly with kickers first or simply don’t use balls with chips in them for kicking at all, given that other technology is available to accomplish the same objectives on the field.

2 Likes

Is that an actual picture of the chip used?

If so I can see your argument and off to the blind A/B test anyway.

If not, well then I don’t buy it either, but off to the blind A/B test anyway.

I have no idea…but it could be a small as that

1 Like

My opinion is take the balls out of circulation as soon as possible. So we need to wait another year before we get kicking stats. Big whoop…the league has survived over 100 years without it. What’s a small delay on innovation?

3 Likes

or they could put counter weight chips on the other three sides (so to speak)

1 Like

This same thing happened in the USFL back in 2022. I had written a few pieces on special teams back then and some of the kickers reached out.

Obviously I can’t speak to the chip in the CFL, but the Chip in the USFL K balls was 4-5 ounces, which is the weight of a baseball.

2 Likes

What kind of stats can it possibly be gathering?
They should worry about being able to present and process the stats they have before worrying about gathering more

2 Likes

That’s exactly the point. The stats that Genius thinks are relative don’t matter so don’t wreck the integrity of the game in the meantime.

2 Likes

That heavy!? I guess the UFL dumped that idea for consideration.

Really now, how did anybody think that was a great idea with a chip that heavy!?

There had to be an awful lot of bojacks on that committee who have never kicked a ball at goal or otherwise in a game in their lives.

Geez, not even amateurs take free kicks with a ball that still has a patch of mud stuck on it!

2 Likes