State of the League Address 2022

That’s the way it should be.

TSN and CBC did have a partnership from 1997 to about 2007.

1 Like

I believe he meant Thanksgiving in October.

According to Ambrosie, when asked about the schedule, he indicated the timeline for the next season will remain same as this season eventhough they have the option of moving the season.

1 Like

That’s correct. You noticed the NFL is on CTV while the CFL remains on TSN.

Of course I meant Thanksgiving in October as I was talking about the CFL and the Grey Cup. I don’t understand the US reference.

It’s too bad that they aren’t moving the season up next year. I believe that would get widespread public support similar to the switch to Saturday playoff games.

As I am out West I don’t know how the weather is in the Hamilton area this weekend. I have heard a lot about the blizzard affecting Buffalo and don’t know how it is affecting the Hamilton area. One year from now the GC will be there in and around this weekend. A Thanksgiving GC would mean that blizzards aren’t an issue.

1 Like

For the Grey Cup in Vancouver we have the president of the BCFC Junior Football wanting to get the Canadian Bowl along with the Vanier Cup together with the Grey Cup.

With a October Grey Cup that you want that won’t be possible.

I also assume and understand you’re not big on U Sports or Junior Football but I do care as I am involved in football through officiating.

Sure. Start in May and you could be done by mid October. I do like the winter playoff games but I’d gladly give them up not to have to read comments on this site from anyone saying they’d rather watch NFL regular season than CFL playoffs on a given Sunday.

Are we keeping the CFL draft in May or move it to March/April?

Drafting a player in March only to lose the same player to the NFL draft may not be wise.

That’s why they have the draft after the NFL has theirs so they have an idea of who can they draft.

As for fans preferring to watch the NFL over the Grey Cup, they weren’t CFL fans to begin with but will gladly come to this forum and nitpick this league from time to time.

You have to sell the new fans in the history of the CFL through an NFL films type programming.

Larry Smith was approached about this when he was commissioner but for some reason he didn’t go for it.

Also need to bring back CFL Traditions and Road to Glory (hopefully I have the correct name)

That’s another thing that holds back the CFL. No talk about history.

2 Likes

It might rain during Thanksgiving as well and it can be windy.

We live in a age of Global Warming.

Tough to predict.

No I don’t think Junior Football is a good enough reason to continue to compromise the competitive integrity of the CFL and cost them many fans like November Grey Cups do and you know my reasoning on that.

To be clear, however, I do care about Junior Football. I don’t know a lot about it but try to follow Dave’s postings on this site. My problem is that I don’t have the time to watch it so I am not overly familiar with it. I support anything that helps Junior football but am also realistic.

By that I mean that the ability of Canada to produce professional football players is finite due to infrastructure and population and the ceiling in my view is not that high. Canada is a relatively cold hockey first nation and global warming won’t do enough to change that. I also understand from this forum that the Vanier Cup has not been played on the same day or weekend as the Grey Cup for some time anyway so I don’t understand why moving the GC to October would make any difference.

1 Like

It’s not tough to predict that it won’t be winter in any CFL city on Thanksgiving weekend. If the globe warms enough to make late November Grey Cups viable in the prairies in 50 years it can always be moved.

I don’t predict that would happen as I believe that October playoffs and Grey Cups will attract more fans in person and on TV so no one’s would want to move it.

1 Like

It did wonders when it took place in 2011-2012 did wonders for U Sports mind you that they took place in BC Place and the SkyDome (still refusing to call it by the other name).

U Sports is restricted by the school year so they start around Labour Day (maybe a week earlier for Ontario) play only 8 games compared to 12-14 games in the NCAA big advantage for development and finish up at the end of November.

They don’t issues with playing in these conditions (This year’s Vanier Cup sold out or close to sold out in London, Ontario.

It’s about celebrating Canadian Football, you’re too fixated on integrity, kind of tells me this one like the 108 before it have no integrity as they take place in the elements which, whether you like it or not, is part of football for years.

You’re constantly nitpicking at times may tamper with fans enjoyment as they don’t necessarily want to keep hearing about it from time.

I do apologize if I ended up maybe offending you as you’re really passionate about you viewpoint.

Enjoy this game and nitpick afterwards.

It may work or maybe it won’t.

Maybe the next TV deal may allow that to take place unless TSN extends it again.

Sidenote the NHL deal in Canada also ends in 2026.

Would this benefit the CFL financially if Sportsnet bids on the CFL or is the NHL the bigger prize for the two networks leaving the CFL picking up leftovers.

I’m just responding to you, not nitpicking. I guess if you keep arguing the same thing I will respond with the same thing.

1 Like

There is no question that the NHL is the bigger prize.

1 Like

New cfl

Going by this This years standings and playoff results

1. Winnipeg
    2 BC Lions. ( bc wins the 3 game series over Calgary )
    3 Calgary
    4 Argos
    5 Montreal
    6 Hamilton

Playoffs
Winnipeg gets the buy to the CFL Final 4
BC get the the buy to the cfl final 4

Semi finals
Calgary vs Hamilton in Calgary
Calgary say wins

Toronto vs Montreal in Toronto
Toronto wins

Final 4
Winnipeg vs Toronto. In Winnipeg Winnipeg wins

BC vs Calgary in bc Lions win

Grey Cup
BC vs Winnipeg
Two best teams in the league

To the commissioner

Ignoring the off field problem with the Argos is going to come up one day and leave you with no team in Toronto . The owners are going to wash its hands with the CFL and nobody in there right mind is going to buy them . You must get yourself involved with the Argos to get it going again because if they leave nobody in Ontario is going to care . and the League will fold . So stop pretending everything is great heading in the right direction when it is not .

Definitely CBC, in the 60’s CTV then back to CBC and I believe CTV did have some games in the 90’s and the turn of the century but not sure on that one.

That’s the fun of it :sweat_smile:

I think in the long run your way may win out.

Until then I will keep defending my viewpoint.

Too bad we can’t settle it with a game of flag football.

Play with my family most of the time as QB.

How’s your throwing arm👍

1 Like

Who do you believe TSN will win out or Sportsnet will keep the NHL with the right to refusal or match?

Whether you volunteer or get paid for your time thank you for being involved in the youth of the country.

2 Likes

Doing my best to promote my sport of Canadian Football.