Start Joseph, Sunseri off the bench?

I don't want to see any player hurt because as we know it takes away from the team your cheering for. How different things might look if Durant didn't get injured. All I want is for Reilly to relize he isn't untouchable and if he decides to play like a running back he is going to get treated and hit like a running back. Make it so its not so appealing for him to run. If he gets banged up or bruised up it might make him think twice before trying it. That is not dirty but what you want from your defense. Change the thinking and the way the other team plays. It can make the difference between winning and losing.

Wasn’t it Roger Aldag in the late 80’s on a punt return or kickoff actually get down the field and totally annihilate the kick returner as he caught the ball. He was flagged 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. He admitted doing that ON PURPOSE to send a message. And I think Roger Aldag is about as Green and White as you can get.

Now don’t get me wrong Prairie, I’m not saying you take the guys head off or blow up his knees. I want the Riders to give him a hard, clean hit… And even if it’s a few steps late (not clean), that’s ok

I don’t think they mean to do like a dirty dirty hit, but there are some roughing the passer penalties for late hits worth taking…and that is part of the game.if it is early and his arm is up and you are about to hit…make it count. I am not saying take 5 steps and crunch him, I am saying that hit where it would take everything you have to avoid hitting because you are so close in and moving…risk the penalty. Just once…make him think about it a but when he decides he wants to run so much.

and BTW, IMO these are over called. too often refs seem to forget that these guys can’t stop on a dime, though it does seem to be better now than last year.

I will say this…with Brack and Ferri in there, he is taking his chances running up the gut. He doesn’t overly like sliding and those guys can smack and are lined up in the middle. Ferri might not be the answer at MLB, but I will say this…if he gets the opportunity to hand out a hit of the year candidate, he will act upon it.

It's funny/sad how it seems different qb's get treated as far as the roughing the passer gets called. Durant has taken many questionable late hits/ low hits and no flag while Reilly seems to be the poster boy for qb protection. He will make like he is going to go down but then put his head down and plows ahead. If he gets hit plenty of times the flag will fly but what is the defensce suppose to do just not touch him? that is why I think he does go head to head with defenders because he knows that there is a good chance they will get flagged and even if the defender had let up its still 15 yards added on. That is where I say you have to put an end to that happy horse sh**. If your going to get dinged for a 15 yarder make it count. It can still be a clean hit but it can be a hard hit. Knock the wind out of him a couple of times and then he may not think its so much fun to try it. If you just touch him or brush tackle there is no reson he should stop doing it. Smack him a good hard clean hit and he might see things differently.

A deliberate late hit is NOT clean. It is cheap. Cheap shots are only taken by players and teams who can’t otherwise win. If you think you need a to take a dirty hit to win a game then you don’t believe in your own abilities to win without cheating.

You can talk about Aldag but that was a different era. The game was played different back then. It was also ok to stick a finger in a QBs eye. NOBODY is ok with that these days. The game has evolved.

yes the game is about inflicting pain, but you do it between the lines, between the whistles and below the chin strap. If the rules don’t matter then bring knives and guns. Seriously.

Reading this thread and all of you actually backing up this rotten notion I’m starting to believe that everyone else has been right al along, us Rider fans really are assholes. We’re hypocrites too because you all know that if Dressler or Getzlaf gets knocked cold from an earhole while coming over the middle tomorrow this place will be a raging inferno. Anyone who denies this is a bloody liar.

Not really the same thing. This is a discussion about not letting up on hits at the last minute, not going for a head shot. If a player hits to the head (or low on a QB) I want to see that called. If a player is in tackling stride of a QB I want to see him hit the QB who is NOT made of glass.

I see nothing wrong with not holding back on a hit you were already in motion for. It is a coin flip on it being a penalty, and I am fine with that. it is the guys who are taking 2-3 steps or more and hitting that I do have issues with. When a player has already lowered his shoulder to make that impact, I say go for it. They can sometimes let up at that point, but not fully anyways. The QBs are all too often treated like glass, it has went too far. To be that close to making the hit and then be expected to avoid it without putting yourself at risk is silly, and that is the hits i don’t mind being followed through on.

I feel the same way about hits on the sidelines where a player is maybe one foot into the paint. You see that called and it is stupid.

I would never advocate playing to injure, but I will support putting something to remember and distract in a players head. I don’t want cheap shots nor late hits, I don’t mind hits that are already in motion…like I said, those seem to be a coin flip on a penalty now, and it is IMO silly.

I don't think anyone is advocating piling on or whatever if he is down or going down but like I said I have seen Reilly more then a few time act like he is going to slide or dive head first and then pull himself up and continue to run. I have also seen him go at the defender and as he gets close he will duck his head just as he about to be tackled now the defender instead of hitting him in the gut has a good possiblity he will make contact with his helmet but only becuase Reilly had put himself in that position. This is what I have an issue with as the defender always gets called for contact to the head. The legitimate high or low hits being called I have no issue with as yes they are dangerous but when the qb is almost baiting the defender into that penalty that is what I have an issue with. I say if he pulls either faking going down or lowereing the helmet you still hit him, not to the head if possible to avoid but a good solid pop to the shoulder or gut. Make him relize that if he pulls these stunts he is also responsible for what happens.

Watch Reilly carefully in the game and I'm sure you will see what I mean.

Excuses hair-splitting and backtracking. Yea I think I need to spend less time around here.

Do as you wish...I've never changed my stance on it, nor will I on this one

:thup: :thup:

Yep! I won’t change my stance either…

We’ll just have to agree to disagree with Prairie on this one.

Oh...for the record, I saw at least 4 hits by the Riders on the QB today that were EXACTLY what I was talking about and hoping for. The 2 that I recall were about 8.5 min into the first (on the play where the Esks got O PI) and the 2nd was at about 6.5 into the 2nd (I think those were the times). Both of these plays were ones where the defenders maybe coulda backed off and it was a coin flip on a penalty, but they went all-in. I loved seeing that. It was a fire that has been missing!