Stamps sign Aussie Rules kicker but Non-Import?

As a fan and season ticket holder with the Stamps, I will be watching the try out of Aussie Rules kicker Scott Crough, with interest. I question however how he can be considered a Non-Import. I would seem like the CFL is making the rules up as it goes along.

According to news sources, the CFL deems him a NI because he has not played Professional Football before so he can be a CFL NI, would that not mean that every US college player could be a non-import. Would that not also mean that Canadian who have played in the NFL cannot be non-imports? Not to mention that he is indeed a professional football player. Also was he paid anything in his NFL try-outs, if so would he again be an Import?

In reading the rules information on CFL.ca the only reference to NI is as follows:

"A player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate of 7 years prior to turning 15 or if he’s a Canadian Citizen, was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of 5 years prior to turning 18."

Does anyone else have information to back up the Non-Import criteria or is the league truly, making it up as they go along.

Nonetheless it will be interesting to see him play.

Go figure... The least they can do for letting Jones breach his contract :smiley:

I asked the same question a while ago in ths thread,

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72377&start=0]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72377&start=0[/url]

...maybe it's due to his Commonwealth Citizen status?! :lol: ...Queen Liz said 'make it so'...

...in all seriousness, Hail Hufnagel for utilizing this apparent loophole, I've never heard of this before...

It's not a loop hole. This rule has been around for years. This is the response I gave in the thread that PiCat gave the link to:

The CFL website doesn't have all the rules, regulations and By-laws listed. The CFL By-Laws indicate that an import player is defined as:

Section 8, paragraph 6:

(a) A player who has received training in football outside of Canada by having participated as a player in a football game outside of Canada prior to attaining the age of seventeen years. (b) A player who has received training in football outside of Canada by having participated in a football game as a player outside of Canada after attaining the age of seventeen years, but who has received no football training in Canada prior to attaining the age of seventeen years.
One of the definitions of a non-import in the By-laws is:
Section 8, paragraph 7: A Player other than one referred to in paragraph 6.
Those definitions have been around for many years (prior to 2002 from what I've found).

Well the IMP/NONimp status is strewn with details, but in essence import really means "American". That's why Dave Ridgway was from England and was NI. Same with Jan Carinci. He came to Canada as a teen from the UK and so was NI. If either of these players had emigrated to the US in their youth instead of Canada it would be a different story.

It can also have to do with where you played your high school or teen minor football. Like Ben Cahoon playing his teen years football in Alberta(?). Even though he was totally US born he was NI.

So yea, it can be a bit weird sometimes.

In Aussie, Rugby is the name of the game. I have been to several games in New Zealand There is no forward passing but the passing is to receivers who must be behind the one throwing the ball. The attacking team, after catching the ball ,advance forward in V formation. The returner has the option to pass to the one nearest him, who then can run or throw the ball to the next nearest him. The two guys who play on the outer part of the V formstion are usually the fastest ones on the team. The players wear no padding- they score as we do- if successful in crossing the opponents line scores a Try (our TD) and can kick the ball while advancing- scoring when the ball goes between the posts. Its a rough game as defenders tackle as we do.

why you giving us a rugby lesson. This has nothing to do with the topic.

Thanks for the info PiCat/Blue Blood. The information given in the article simply confused the issue. Going by what was said in the paper every US college player should have been eligible for NI status as it said the rule was you couldn't have played pro.

Thanks for clearing it up.

As for Aussie Rules and Rugby, it depends which part of Australia you are from. In Victoria, Aussie Rules rules. :cowboy:

FootballYouBet: I thought it might be of interest to someone. The Als signed an Aussie in the 60's who failed to make the team.

Should one be able to secure Knighthood irrespective of nationality, could that count too? :stuck_out_tongue:

And was there any good story as to why that Aussie did not make the team? Or did he just insist on Aussie Rules? :slight_smile:

Yea but can he kick?