Stamps-Redblacks trade

Mo on the Move: Ottawa acquires Price in trade with Stamps

Posted: January 15, 2015 12:00 PM
Updated: January 15, 2015 12:29 PM

CFL.ca Staff

CALGARY – The Stampeders and REDBLACKS have completed the first major trade of 2015 as Calgary has sent receiver Maurice Price to Ottawa in exchange for Jasper Simmons and Dan Buckner.

Price, a 29-year-old native of Orlando, is a three-year veteran of the Stampeders. Last year, the 6-foot-1, 205-pounder out of Charleston Southern had 34 catches for 544 yards and two touchdowns, including a 102-yard major in the season opener for the eventual Grey Cup champs against the Alouettes at McMahon Stadium.

“We see this move as a major step forward in the improvement of our football club,? said Marcel Desjardins, general manager of the REDBLACKS. “We appreciate everything that Jasper and Dan contributed to our team.?

Mo is an explosive player who has exceptional speed and outstanding playmaking abilities,? said REDBLACKS head coach Rick Campbell. “He’s a CFL veteran who knows the league, knows the game and has a big up-side. He has the ability to come in here and make big contributions right away.?

Simmons was Ottawa’s nominee for two CFL awards in 2014 - Most Outstanding Player and Most Outstanding Defensive Player. The six-foot-one, 223-lb. alum of the University of Missouri was the RedBlacks’ leading tackler in 2014 as he made 80 stops. The 25-year-old Pensacola, Fla, product also had three interceptions, two tackles for loss, seven special-teams tackles, one forced fumble and one pass knockdown in 17 games for Ottawa.

Simmons’ first CFL experience came with the Toronto Argonauts as he appeared in five games over two seasons (2011-12). In 22 career CFL contests, he has 86 tackles, 10 special-teams tackles, five interceptions, one pass knockdown and one forced fumble.

Buckner signed with the RedBlacks on Oct. 7, 2014, and dressed for two games. The six-foot-four, 215-lb. University of Arizona alum was signed as an undrafted free agent by the National Football League’s Arizona Cardinals and he spent time on both the Cardinals’ and Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ practice rosters.

As a senior for the University of Arizona in 2012, he played 13 games and made 61 catches for 773 yards and five touchdowns. In 2011, he had 42 receptions for 606 yards and two scores. Prior to transferring to Arizona, Buckner played two seasons at the University of Texas and recorded 49 catches for 529 yards and six touchdowns.

“Jasper Simmons established himself as a valuable CFL player for Ottawa last season and I believe he will be a very nice addition to our team,” said Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel. “Dan Buckner is a tall, athletic receiver with very good college credentials and I look forward to seeing him at training camp.”

Price played 29 games over three seasons with the Stampeders, recording 109 catches for 1,737 yards and 12 touchdowns. The 29-year-old Orlando, Fla., native played 10 games in 2014 and had 34 receptions for 544 yards and two majors.

“I sincerely thank Mo for his contributions to the Stampeders during his time in Calgary,” said Hufnagel. “It was not an easy decision but the emergence and presence of other playmaking receivers on our roster allowed us to make this trade and acquire two potentially valuable assets.”

http://cfl.ca/article/price-shipped-to-ottawa-for-simmons

Wow. RBs getting a pre-FA start on rebuilding the receiving core. Price is a nice get and will help them stretch the field if he can stay healthy for a full season.

Simmons a nice addition to that Stamps D as well.

yeah...this is quite a big trade. Nice. Price could help a lot in Ottawa. But Huf knows what he needs too. So probably good for them too.

...I agree it looks like a win-win trade...I can't speak for the RB's needs but I know the stamps D required some bolstering, Simmons is a great addition...and while giving up Price is big you have to give something to get something...

Agreed. I think the Redblacks needed better receivers and now they have one; good depth move for the Stamps, and I think Simmons has good potential, and Ottawa could afford to part with him since they have Pruneau and Munoz to man the outside LB spots. Don't know much about Buckner.

Oh. . .and it's the offseason, right? So I can do this:

Fixed it for ya! :smiley:

Funny, I just said the same thing on the RedBlacks board. :lol:

I really liked Jasper Simmons. He had the occasional bad game, mind you, but overall he wasn't among our biggest concerns, that's for sure.

The last game of the season (in Toronto) they sat him down to look at another guy (David Hinds, I believe) and they must have liked what they've seen out of him.

Buckner was invisible but I was looking forward to seeing what he might bring to the table this year.

Wow. So Desjardins scouts Eric Rogers and then cuts Eric Rogers. Rogers then signs with Calgary has a couple monster games and makes Price and his large contract obsolete. Desjardins then trades his best defensive player for a guy who can’t stay healthy with a huge contract, who lost his starting job to a guy that Ottawa cut.

That is some quality GMing. The future looks bright with Desjardins at the helm :roll:

How much does Price make?

I remember hearing that he makes around $180k per year, which puts him in top 2-3 highest paid receivers in the league. Don't get me wrong, the guy's a great receiver, but this is some bizarre roster management from Desjardins.

RBs need receivers that's for sure, a lot of dropsies last year. Looks like a good trade for both squads.

Yes a great move by Desjardins, that was one of the weak areas for them. They just need some protection for Burris, some kick coverage guys and a return guy and they will be contenders.

Yeah, how does Desjardins allow Rogers ( Price's replacement) get away , especially when we had the worst WR core in the CFL?

Having said that - I don't mind the trade probably would have been unnecessary if we would have known what we had in Rogers, though.

With the emergence of Int. WR Eric Rogers, Calgary no longer needed M.Price; in fact, he was not dressed/was a healthy scratch for the 2014 West final and the Grey Cup; furthermore, Rogers is probably earning roughly a third of what Price was making. Calgary had to reduce some salaries in order to give them a chance to re-sign Nat. OL Jones.

This trade should benefit both teams.

Richard

Don't pay attention to Bobby I forgot my bluegold username Digital. Desjardins didn't cut Rogers. That's the HC and the OC's decision. The OC is now out of a job... Popp had to cut Chad Owens too because Trestman didn't want him. Wally Buono cut Anwar Stewart. This stuff happens all the time.

:thup: and Simmons will want a raise next year anyway. People like to play the money game all the time. Next year Simmons might want 180k too.

But maybe we didn't appear to have it. Who knows, maybe the guy looked like crap right up to his release.

When Mass waa hired, Desjardins made a comment along the lines of the offense being more QB-friendly because the options will be obvious, instead of having to be found. And we heard a number of times that receivers weren't running the proper depth. I have a feeling that the offense Gibson ran was complicated for everyone and that's why nearly every position struggled with it. Maybe Rogers really struggled with it but feels far more comfortable with what Calgary is running.

He put 149 yards together in 3 games. That’s not exactly a career. Does not prove very much.

And let's not start carving Rogers' bust quite yet. I looked him up and he was released by Ottawa in April, not picked up by Calgary until July, and didn't get on the field until October. The Stampeders are probably just as surprised at his productivity as anybody. And I certainly don't recall a great outcry when he was let go, either.

Not really sure where the "bluegold" thing comes from or what your problem is. I just thought it was a poor trade for the RedBlacks. Give up your best asset on defense for a guy who can't stay out of the tub, with a salary that he hasn't lived up to. Yes, the Redblacks need receivers, but why not wait three weeks until free agency when Green, Dressler, Chiles, plus a few other high end receiver are available. Price would have probably been on that list too, given the combo of his salary, losing his starting job and his antics when he was scratched in the WF.

And then the part where we give salary relief to Calgary to re-sign OT Jones, who should have probably been Ottawa's top target, IMO.
I too don't see the rush in making such a move right now,especially when like you said Price could have been released.

I think it removes all the "if'"s out of it. IF Jones is even available to be targetted, IF Price gets released, IF no other team gets to him first...

I'm not crazy about losing Simmons and I'm concerned about Price's injury history too. I suspect they expect Anton Mckenzie to be in Simmons spot though. I checked the depth chart for the first pre-season game and that was where he was supposed to line-up.