Stamps' Murphy piques Bombers' interest

If John Murphy is a candidate to be the next general manager of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers — and it appears he is a front-runner — he says his current employer, the Calgary Stampeders, deserves the credit.

The Stamps’ assistant director of scouting was interviewed by the Bombers late last week, and according to a Winnipeg Free Press story, Bombers coach Mike Kelly and president Lyle Bauer came away impressed.

“Honestly, I’m in that position because of the opportunities the Stampeders have afforded me,? said Murphy on Sunday morning, as he was in transit from Mobile, Ala., to El Paso, Tex., for another post-season college all-star game. “From (director of player personnel) Jim Barker, (owners) Ted Hellard and John Forzani to give a younger guy the opportunity (prior to the 2007 season) to prove himself, and then again last year to work with the staff Huff (coach and general manager John Hufnagel) put together — if I’m going to do any interviews or things like that, I’m very well-prepared for them based on interacting with those gentlemen on an everyday basis.?

Murphy, 36, has various connections in U.S. pro and college football circles, and is highly regarded among scouts. His company, Next Level Scouting, produced detailed reports on all 32 NFL teams in addition to CFL and NFL Europe teams. He’s also written online scouting pieces for Yahoo! Sports.

He played a role in securing the signings of Stampeder stalwarts such as Charleston Hughes and Brandon Browner.
Horsemen’s assistant scouting director in running for Winnipeg GM post

The Stamps granted permission to the Bombers to speak with Murphy late last week about the position left open by the resignation of Brendan Taman, and the two sides met in Mobile.

“All I’ll tell you is we’ve talked to a few teams about a few people,? Bauer told the Free Press. “Those people include some with CFL experience and some without. They’re all good candidates that bring a number of different assets to the table.

“I would say we’re down to three candidates right now. And I will tell you that two of the three would never, ever show up on your radar.?

Murphy would love a crack at the Bombers’ job, but his fallback position — returning to the Grey Cup champion Stampeders — is terrific as well.

“This whole thing is win-win,? he said. “It’s a great learning experience, to get a chance to speak to Mike and Lyle and (director of football operations) Ross (Hodgkinson) in Mobile a few times. I look forward to it either way. I think it will be a very good future, no matter how things turn out.?

I believe Piggy youbrought this up a week ago

....according to the local media...and tsn.....Murphy has been hired..... just not official yet... a big positive for the BigBlue.... :thup: :wink: