Stamps head into an off-season of reflection

REGINA — The bad part of being involved in a game of the year candidate is that only one team can win.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/11/29/stamps-head-off-season-reflection/

I feel sorry for the team, great game, hard to lose that one....some of their more obnoxious fans, not so much(no names here, you know who you are :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

2 Likes

Ain't no shame for the loss, it could have gone either way. hope this dispels all the bravado of one team being so extremely better than the other team. Pretty sure the players know better than the fan(s) who kept making that claim. BO has been one of the best ever QBs the CFL has seen and he played hurt/injured all season and came up JUST short of a victory on a very hard fought and very close game. He will be back next year in Cowtown unless HE is looking for change but i cannot see that

The toughest thing about playing or watching any team sports is, their is only one winner at the end of a game. Coach Dave Dickenson must call the right plays and have his team execute them in their final drive. Rene Paredes missing 3 field goals would of changed the outcome. The Riders were determined and totally outplayed the Stamps on Special Teams.

Bo didn't have a good first half but he didn't cost them the game. Uncharacteristic special teams play by Calgary cost them the game along with Lemon's undisciplined penalty.

1 Like

Entertaining game involving two closely matched mediocre teams playing bad football and making many errors from start to finish. But at least it was entertaining.

Errors or just really really good D?

As is with any sport, a win is a win and a loss is a loss .... Leave it up to the fans to either accept it as it happened or not

I'd say errors, two of Cody's INTs were poor passes, the third was Shaq Evans not running the route CF wanted him to run. BM were just poor throws under no pressure. D Dick made an error going for the 3rd and 1 1/2 after the second INT, gave up momentum and field position. Second half was better, but how do you not send out the hands team for the kickoff in your own zone, and the Riders captain also gave the ref the wrong option at half time. It was a game filled with errors, missed tackles, breakdowns, and surprisingly 4 missed FGs. Riders play this way against the Bombers, and it will be another slaughter. Biggest question and probably a prop bet is if the Riders will actually score a TD, I think it's been 14 quarters since their last one vs Bombers

1 Like

Yup, I am expecting a Bomber team playing at capacity plus for intensity.
As to the errors, when have we ever seen flawlessly executed games. It always comes down to not making too many and not making them at the wrong time. Or hoping the other team does not hurt you too much when you make them...and hurt them when they make them... Looking forward to Sunday

1 Like

That was a great game to watch. No matter who won the game...the CFL is back. Calgary has been the toast of the league for a long time. They deserve their props. I have no issue saying that, being from Winnipeg. Give credit where credit is due. If every other team put forth a professional product like Calgary does each and every year...then they'd have the right to boast. Arrogance...pride, such unCanadian virtues. But the talk that comes out of Calgary? I've got no problems with that. And if the Bombers happen to go on a 3-peat Grey Cup run, maybe we can toot our own horns a little bit louder, too. It's all good. If you're going to sing it, then bring it!

3 Likes

Breaks your heart. Paredes misses but he is overwhelmingly money in the bank. So no criticism at all. Please come back next year. Hufnagel, Dickerson, Mitchell - winning combo. Keep building the team. Stamps 2022.

2 Likes

I do not think that you can just brush off the mistakes as bad plays. Some really good defence in that game. I would also like to shout out to Craig Dickenson coaching decision at the half to try that short kick. Very O'shea-ish! That was a game changing moment. The Riders scored a TD shortly after and I think that play needs to be recognized in this game. It was really BIG!! Great coaching.

2 Likes

This game was a capsule of this Covid season for these two teams, which team is gonna show up; the preseason kind of team, or the polished, every aspect of the game team firing on all cylinders. It was an entertaining game, but kind of like watching two Putz's going at it. Play at this level against a polished, firing on all cylinders (even the kicking is now competent) team like Winnipeg, good luck.

1 Like

[quote="Brian_Woods, post:14, topic:75158"]
...his game was a capsule of this Covid season for these two teams, which team is gonna show up; the preseason kind of team, or the polished, every aspect of the game team firing on all cylinders. It was an entertaining game, but kind of like watching two Putz's going at it. Play at this level against a polished, firing on all cylinders (even the kicking is now competent) team like Winnipeg, good luck.
[/quote]teams make mistakes in play off games ... Even in non covid seasons... The team that makes the fewest mistakes and compensated for them wins the game... One team won one team lost attributing the win or the loss to poor play is totally wrong . I have never seen a team win any game by playing flawless football .. kudos to the team that better overcame adversity and never quit because they made a few errors ...never saw BO and the rest of the
Stamps quit did you

My comments are in no way a reflection on the play of these athletes' playing this game, but follow the game long enough, seeing missed assignments, the missed tackle on the kick return TD, the missed field goal, the 4 interceptions thrown by one QB, the field goal hitting the uprights, the second and short's turning into 3rd and long, these are things that drive coaches crazy. And all the good things that were done, the three interceptions by one player, the fine 2nd half drives by both teams, the great defensive stands by both teams, they get lost in the final outcome. Make no mistake, I would never bail on the Stamps ( just as Rider fans never bail on the Riders), never have, this is a fine, very well run organization, but they had a winnable game, and they lost it. I'm looking forward to next year just like every other fan whose team is on the side lines.

1 Like

Exactly, that game could have just as easily been a rider loss or a stamps victory depending how one sees it. I know that you know that too and MOST fans see it that way too...only a select few would not be so enlightened

I can see Maier wanting a change. If he wants to start next year he's gotta get out of 'Bo Town'. How do you guys keep churning out these starting QB's? We have to horse trade them off of other rosters in last minute 'miracle' trades. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I was wondering who would be kicking off. Sask kicked off the first half but it was not clear if they had lost the toss or deferred. I was very interested to see if Sask would be kicking off from Calgary's side of midfield or if Calgary would kickoff from their 18. I figured that if Sask would kickoff that they would very likely do an onside kick to make use of those free 25 big yards. However it shook down, Sask ended up kicking off again and they indeed did the onside. They certainly have the kicker for it. AC Leonard caught it but if you notice who was standing right next to him (bumping into him in fact) was the Duke - Mr-Hands-Team himself.

The one that made me pull my hair out was Shaeffer-Baker dropping the TD wide open in the back of the endzone in OT. C'mon, man. That forced the defense to go out and make a stand to save the season.

1 Like