Stamp signing to be announce in a few weeks time.

Ted Hellard on the Fan960 mentioned that the Stamps will make announcements of signing in a few weeks. The Stamps will have four QB's at camp. He also said the stamps signed two receivers and a D Lineman at a Houston Try Out Camp. The Stamps said they have signed these players but do not like to release the information until April. February and January is not a good time for football announcements.
He mentioned also that thre or four teams will play over the cap. The reason for this is that it will be difficult for these teams to meet the cap this year and possibly the next year. The fines will be place and teams are still trimming rosters but he figure this many teams will not make it. Calgary will not be one of those teams. Go to the Fan960 to see if you can listen to that interview. Scott Exkles was named to the front office as Vice president of football operations. Son of Bobby Eskles in BC. He has held senior positions in the NFL, XFL and the CFL.

...thanks for the update '05...we'll look forward to this news...4 QBs sounds great, lets hope there's a diamond in the rough in that bunch....

Alki Smith, Henry Burris and who is the question? But we will have to wait and see. :lol:

Have you guys given up on Gessner as a long term project?

Gesser is done yes we gave up a 1st rounder for him. Thanks Matt Dunigan!

Gesser didn't impress me much the little I saw of him.........but thought he at least had more potential than Wimprine. The one who really did impress me was Joshua Harris, would be curious to know whatever became of him.

It will be interesting to see what way Barker et al choose to go; do they bring in some young QBs as future prospects or bring in someone who actually will challenge Hank for the #1 spot? Depends I guess on how they think Hank will react to competition. For some QBs it may make them better, others may get into snit. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Gesser got a little playing time for Utah in the AFL last weekend when the Blaze were on their way to a blowout. He looked sharp, but has lost even more weight. At this point, he'd have a hard time surviving a season outdoors.

Another back-up from the Stamps' recent past, Danny Wimprine, is on IR for my hometown New Orleans VooDoo. I've covered a couple of practices for Arenafan.com but haven't had a chance to ask him what happened with his release. I heard he showed up out of shape at camp last year, but he had to look better than Danny Mac.

You are right I think Wimprine did get jobbed. I was funny they would release this kid after only playing what two games and then have the old timer and Corley as thrid string. Was a deal made that cost Wimprine the job? Something does not add up. Gesser was not a CFL style QB where as I think if Wimprine stuck he just might have done well. Great attitude and had a strong arm. Lacked experience but you do not get that playing just 2 games. I believe Smith will be the guy with experience and two youngins will be brought in. Corley and D Mac will not make it here this year.

Spergon Wynn would be a good guy to have with some experience. The offence in Toronto was bad - not Wynn's fault. Maybe even Brad Banks?

Banks I hear is either re-signed or about to re-sign with Winnipeg.

As for Wynn........I'd pass if I was in charge. Remember, this is a guy who was 4th string in Winnipeg, behind Tee Martin and Russ Michna; if you can't beat out Tee Martin for a job as a QB, better look for another line of work. And yes, Toronto's offence isn't the best, but good heaven's at least Allen, Bishop, and even Crouch could get that offence out of their own end; when Wynn started against Montreal last year he could not even get them to the midfield stripe all game.

Ted Hellard on what is happening?
A question on GSG stated the Stamps were not doing anything? And Ted's reply is below>

First we will have over 32 new players at our camp in the beginning of June..we completed a mini camp in houston several weeks ago and will have a mini camp in late april before our main camp ...we are at present completely full with our 68 camp positions although there will be some more additions before camp after our mini camp in april....Lets see now we ended the season with 46 players and have released at least 10 players over the off season that would mean 32 new faces at camp with extensive competition at virtually every position including quarterback...We have signed one of the top canadian receivers thru free agency in Thelwell ...this allowed us to change the ratio on our offensive line with the signing of garrick and other import lineman, we will have a minimum of 10 .... I repeat 10 import Linebackers in camp most with nfl experience...we have tweaked our backfield by signing two solid canadian fullbacks...we will have a minimum of 6 new defensive lineman in camp all have been tested in houston and we are extremely excited about what we have seen...we also have workouts with 4 qb's in houston and will workout 3 more at our mini camp in april...3 of the top ones will come to camp along with Hank.... we have signed at least 4 new players who will compete with our existing players in the Defensive back field.. all with nfl experience...Now have we blabbed this news all over the place like other cfl teams no...as time nears after our mini camp in April we will begin to let the information out on these players....By the way who intercepted the most passes in the cfl second half of last years season??? I will bet you cant name him and I will tell u he has less than half a year experience in the league...my point some of the best players that come to the cfl you dont know who they are...signing veterns for the sake of veterns is not always...even often the best strategy..this is especially true in a system with a cap...and oh ya least I forget we now have the 3 and 6 pick overall in the upcoming draft and will have a potential shot at our last years first draft after the nfl draft.

Thanks Ted!

You're welcome!
…………………………………………………. __ . ……………………
……………………………………………….../’: : ,---.„………………… ………………………………………………../|,-‘¯¯(o)_,----,,,_……….. ………………„~*¯¯?,………... ………( (o),,_/ ¯ : o : : :o -, …... ……………../ : · :(“,.~;*’¯¯¯?, (_,-- ``?~,…. : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : …..
………….....| : · :,/,-*~;~··-„,/ (‘ )/· ,….,/` : : :_„„,: : : : : : : : : : : … …………….| : · / ,/`,-- ’`c,---„1 ‹’`--(_ ,/ / : : :,/` · · ): : : : : : : : : : : |… ……………..) : µ’` . (c) `¯ . . ·`), . ,-~`.. : : :| · · '?, : : : : : : : : : : :/… ……………/` ,/_~-, .`;;`„-„,__,./, ```/……. `: : · · · · `*-.,_ : : : : : :,-‘ …. ……………`-/¨;--;~’ `?*-=,=-_`? ,) ,/`……….`› : `, · · · · · · ¯?~---,--`……. …„„………__, · ‘, · . . . `„_,/ ,/;-;_ ……. /` ` | ./ · · · · · · · · „-“………… .( :·`,-~*`¯ · · ·`¯` `~--~*~---~;/`,-~*```*--, `1` / : | · · · ,---~*?`…………… . ·:··:?*~-,,„„____„„,.-~?`¯¯¯¯/ / · · · · · ‘,) , / : :| · · · ·…………………. …`?’~-,„„„„„„,,~‘ . ( · · · ,.
| | · · · ·, „„/ ,/: : / · · · · ·| ………………..
…………………….??? · · ·’~;-,„,,_)?-‘ : : / · · · · · · | ………………..
……… (*?-,„,-?¯¯?-;„· · · · · · , /'``,-~?¯: : : :/ · · · · · · |.……………….. ………. | : :(,;-===-„, ,· · · ,-| · ·/ : : : | :,/ · · · · · · ·| ………………..
……… . : :, · · · · \ · . ·)· / · / : : : :~,
· · · · · ./ …………………
………… ,~.,_„,.-*\, /,/„/ ,/ : : :’;-.„ : ¯-, · · · /,…………………..
…………..,,?| : :-,„_„))’" ·,/_„,~ · · ( · , ,)· ·,-; ’,……………….. ……………..- : : : ~----~* / · · · · · · · · “?~? ·/ ·( _ :)………………
…………. ,.¬-,-- : : : : : : : : / · · · · · · · · · ·,,-“…..’-„,-‘………………. …………..| |: :*: : : : : : : :_/ „____„„„„,---~*……………………………
…………./ / : : : ~-„„„„„,.;;,,.--…………………………………………. …………| | : : : :|¯ : ,/ ¯ …………………………………………………. ………….,,_,„./---~………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………………

http://www.cl.psu.edu/images/banner-content.jpg

The way it's written, doesn't sound like the owner of a sports team!!

Wasn't it Byron Parker (is that the name? He played for the Argos) that had the most second-half picks?

Also, why is it so bad to release football news in Feb and March? Just because it flies under the radar a bit?

I guess they figure tha tannouncing signings as they occur is not as valuable as announcments amonth away from TC. My opinion is that if you wish to market your poruct dod not market seasonally. Any story you can get for your team through the lean months help. I hate to do this because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But look at the NFL they relaes info daily. True they have 4 times more teams then the CFL. But they keep their fans interest year round.

Very true Red. You can always find recent news about the NFL, and I don’t think it’s simply a matter of them having 4x more teams. Again I’m not sure if the lack of CFL info is because the CFL doesn’t provide it, or because the media ignores it. Obviously with the Stamps, it’s because they don’t provide it - and that seems to be a concious decision. It’s not one I agree with, but I suppose they have their reasons. I would like to see more off-season news, but maybe they figure a large bunch of news right before the season starts will give them momentum heading into the time that counts … ie, the season, which is when the profits are made after all.

Well, the Stamps had no problem announcing the signing of Singh right away, instead of waiting for the end of April ...