Stala shows he’s like fine wine, getting better with age

Dave Stala...leads the league in touchdowns... Stala is on pace to break the all-time Ticats single-season record for touchdowns (15) held by Tony Champion (1989) and Ron Williams (1999 and 2000).
[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/575365--stala-shows-he-s-like-fine-wine-getting-better-with-age]http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/5 ... r-with-age[/url]

Stala has 6 TDs so far.

If only he could have stayed healthy and played like this when he was with the Als !

Contrary to popular perception, wines actually have a peak age and then go into decline.

Just saying.

Wha? He had his only 1000-yard season in the CFL with the Als. He hasn't matched those numbers since. I'm glad he has so many TDs, but Brian Bratton has 4 TDs and just a bit less yardage than Stala but nobody's talking about Bratton in this way.

Two 1000 yard seasons so far: 2005 and 2010.

http://cfl.ca/roster/show/id/324

My apologies, and I stand corrected, then: he did hit 1000 yards last season. Good for Dave. But my original point still stands: he had one of his best pro seasons with the Alouettes. And he'd probably still be an Al were it not for the injuries that kept him out of the lineup for a few years. I'm happy to see Stala thriving in Hamilton, class act.

Nice try fella but you don’t get off that easy.
You come on our site,on a thread about our hometown guy and what a great season he had and wrongfully trash him.
When you are proven wrong you still claim him as a precious alouette.
The alouettes arrogance is becoming unbearable.
When Calvillo retires next year we will see how well they do without him.
The only thing you are right about is that Stala is a class act, and represents his City and his Team with integrity as only a Hamiltonian could.

Uh, I never bashed Dave Stala. I (erroneously) stated that his best season, statistically, was with the Als. One of your fellow members corrected me, which I acknowledged. Like I said, Dave Stala is a classy guy, and a good receiver -- the Als cut him loose because he wasn't able to stay healthy for a few years after that 1000-yard season. I'm not 'claiming' him as an Al. He is a Tiger-Cat, and he's thriving as a Tiger-Cat, which is great.

You need to relax and stop taking any post from an Als fan as a threat or a put-down. :wink:

+1

Your perspective is appreciated here, D&P, as an objectively rational voice.

+2

I for one didn't feel you were trashing #88. I also appreciate your perspective and find your posts well thought out and well presented.

I was wrong by saying you were trashing Stala, I instead should have stated you were trivializing his accomplishments as a Ti-Cat and only acknowledging his accomplishments as an Al.
Comparing his stats to the great Bratton.
Wondering why we are not talking about Bratton on a thread about Stala was questionable.
You were proven wrong and fessed up but you still stated your original point still stands, which I took as it didn't matter, it was his season as an Al that was the only season to be recognized.

By the way I don't take any post from an Als fan as a putdown, just this one.

Friend, I feel like we've gotten off on the wrong foot here. I was in no way trying to trivialize what Dave has accomplished in Hamilton. Initially, I was only trying to point out to my fellow Als fan (tony) that Stala actually played very well in Montreal when he was healthy -- injuries are the only reason we cut Stala loose. I was wrong about the 1000-yard season thing and I apologize for that.

Re: Bratton, I just found it a bit odd that the media (not you guys, and I should have made that clear) has been lauding Stala so frequently when there are guys like Bratton who have comparable stats and who aren't even getting so much as a mention. I'm not taking a single thing away from Stala. I like the guy a lot, and when he signed on in Hamilton, I wished him all the best (except against us, LOL). He's the kind of player whom it's impossible to hate even when he's scoring a TD on you. Having said that, I now realize that bringing up Bratton in a topic devoted to praising Stala, in the Cats forum, was inappropriate, and I apologize for that too.

Ockam and a1exander, thank you for the support. It's always a pleasure to discuss football with passionate and knowledgeable fans, even though we root for different teams. :slight_smile:

I appreciate any time someone on this forum admits that they have made a mistake and apologizes for it. But I appreciate even more the (occasional) intelligent discussions that appear on this forum. And thank you for your contributions to those. Some of us have noticed, and welcome your posts, even if we do wear different colours on game day.

(And at the risk of having another thread hijacked...) As for the difference in the media attention between Stala and Bratton, it probably comes down to Stala being a non-import. For an import player to lead the league in one manner or another is no surprise. But when a non-import does it, it's news and the media jumps on it.

Also, as you said, Bratton's stats are almost as good as Stala's. Said another way, Stala's are better that Bratton's. So there. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Yes, Stala is like a fine wine. And has a lovely finish, to boot. (Pun intended.)

Thanks, friend. :slight_smile: My thinking is: if you can't admit a mistake on a message board, what does that say about your self-confidence and maturity in real life? :smiley:

(And at the risk of having another thread hijacked...) As for the difference in the media attention between Stala and Bratton, it probably comes down to Stala being a non-import. For an import player to lead the league in one manner or another is no surprise. But when a non-import does it, it's news and the media jumps on it.
You're probably right. Also, the media only has one or two Als storylines (Calvillo and the records, Richardson & Green), so they're less likely to pick up on good things that less-publicized players are doing.
Also, as you said, Bratton's stats are almost as good as Stala's. Said another way, Stala's are better that Bratton's. So there. :P :wink:
Ha, touché! :)
Yes, Stala is like a fine wine. And has a lovely finish, to boot. (Pun intended.)
I really like how Khari is scheming to get Stala open in the red zone. Glenn is obviously very comfortable finding Dave when it's time for a major.

Disciplineandpunish

Thankyou for your response.

I did not understand that your post was directed to tony and it looks as though I completely misunderstood your post and obviously took it the wrong way for that I apologize.

Thanks for this post. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

It's always nice to see a guy like Stala succeed. We need more NI receivers like him in the league.

Anyone who's ever been to a Grey Cup knows we're all one big happy family.

Stala had a lot of injuries earlier in his career. Now he's healthy and finding great success. As a fan of the game, it's great to an elite NI skilled player. His celebrations are great too.

Polska :thup: