Stala not used enough?

I am quite confused why Dave Stala is not being thrown to more, he has great hands and is willing to put the body on the line to make a catch. Instead it seems the passes are all going to Williams, Fantuz, or whichever RB we are using this week. Myself, I would put Stala well above Fantuz who seems to drop or fail to put any effort into catching two out of three passes. I think he is still dreaming of the NFL, but whatever he is doing he doesn't seem to be worth $200K a year.

Does anyone else see this the same way? There is a reason Dave was called MR. SECOND DOWN last season.

The group I go with have been saying this most of the year. I think we will find most fans agree with the fact that Dave is not used enough.

Also, his TD celebration on labour day was AEWSOME!!!

IMO, Stala should be starting, while Giguere sits until further notice.

I agree 101% that Sticky should be starting and used more often mainly because of his proven dependability and work ethic, and if I were to choose between him and Giguere, Stala, hands down!!
I watched Giguere in practice and the look on his face is “when is the NFL going to get me outa here” Don’t feel comfortable with this guy yet, maybe he will prove himself in the future. In my opinion, Fantuz is great in the open but when he knows he’s in tight coverage, it think he turtles up whereas Stala is willing to take the hit. I know Fantuz got rocked a few games ago, but that was the exception.

There's already been a few other threads about Stala not being used enough. Unfortunately, Cortez likes to play guys that drop the ball regularly and under perform.

You mean guys like Fantuz? he looks like he’s going through the motions. Not getting open, dropping balls, putting one arm up to try to catch a ball, we expected a lot more from this guy.

Yup. Very disappointed in Fantuz so far.

Giguere also looks uninterested and lackadaisical.

Stala doesn’t get the play time he deserves.

Essentially, our Canadian Air Force is grounded. :frowning:

Everybody in the CFL knows Stala runs good routes and catches the ball.
Everbody except Cortez.
Giggy is so useless, half the time the opposition doesn’t even cover him.

Ok, I thought it might just be me. I think Stala will be asked to be moved next season so he can play regularly, and if he is traded I hope he comes back to Hamilton and score five touchdowns against them. :thup:

No keep Stala he’s a clutch receiver. Giguere is a rookie and he has looked promising, he’s no Chris Williams give him another year. Ditch Fantuz and his big salary, he hasn’t looked good at all.

Stala’s contract is up at the end of this year, I believe. He signed a two-year extension back in 2010. Whether that was two plus an option or one plus an option, I don’t know.

I’m not Fantuz’s biggest fan by far – guy always seemed self-involved and overly cocky for my taste, has a bad habit of berating his QBs when a play goes bad, and goes offsides way too often for a veteran receiver. All that said, do you really want to cut him loose and watch him reignite his career somewhere else? He won’t be unemployed for long. There have been so many issues on offense this year that it’s hard to pin everything on Fantuz.

I have a feeling that his cost to performance ratio might turn most teams away. He is nowhere near the player he once was before he left for the NFL. He might eventually sign on with another team but for a much lower salary. I would definitely keep Stala over Fantuz.

Have no idea how Guigerre starts over Stala?
He should be your 2nd down go to guy.
Also, have we abandoned the screen pass? Seems that Colbourne is open every time coming out of the backfield when we're in the red zone and Burris fails to spot him.

Cortez is supposed to be some game film analyzing guru but the situation still hasn’t been corrected. Cobourne has been wide open a couple of times in the red zone and Burris didn’t see him. You would think that they would work out this deficiency somehow.

If Chris Bauman can find team after team to sign him, Fantuz would be unemployed for about four seconds. And let’s not forget the salary that Tillman gave Bauman in 2011 (in the neighbourhood of $120,000/season). Fantuz might take a pay cut from his salary now, but he wouldn’t be playing for much less.

Ditching Fantuz would rank among one of the most short-sighted decisions this franchise has ever made. He’s just 28 and has a lot of good football left in him. Sure, he’s having a bad season, but that happens to a lot of players. Also, before he got injured against Calgary, he was starting to put things together. No way the team should even contemplate letting Fantuz go.

Fantuz may be snapped up as a released player, but he has little trade value at the moment.
Cut him next year if he doesn`t preform, he can play for less elsewhere & star for all I care.
He was a free agent, no loss.
Giggy though, he is a product of the NFL, and must be judged by the same standards as those NFL cuts.
He sure as hell is not keeping up his end in the NI part.
Best case scenerio for him is to watch Stala get it done.
Makes my blood boil seeing a HAMILTON boy like Stala sit on the bench because there is a new sheriff in town.

Is this the sheriff you speak of? :cowboy:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/400-927-427-1-four-color_super.jpg

If Chris Bauman can find team after team to sign him, Fantuz would be unemployed for about four seconds. And let’s not forget the salary that Tillman gave Bauman in 2011 (in the neighbourhood of $120,000/season). Fantuz might take a pay cut from his salary now, but he wouldn’t be playing for much less.

Ditching Fantuz would rank among one of the most short-sighted decisions this franchise has ever made. He’s just 28 and has a lot of good football left in him. Sure, he’s having a bad season, but that happens to a lot of players. Also, before he got injured against Calgary, he was starting to put things together. No way the team should even contemplate letting Fantuz go.
[/quote]
Fantuz: 41 Catches, 580 yards, 14.1 avg, 26 yrd long, 4 Tds

Bauman would have been in heaven with these numbers.

Fantuz has had a couple issues with drops and fumbles, but Williams has also had the same issues.

He still has a shot at 1,000 yards. The last few weeks he has really been invisible and has barely been targeted. They need to get both Stala and Fantuz more involved. The last 3 weeks, the go to guy seems to be Grant, who can’t hold onto the ball.

Also, age is an issue here. Stala is in his early '30s, Fantuz is only 28. Do you really want to hitch your wagon to a 30-something possession receiver? Stala's game might decline very soon.