Stadium Update

As per my season ticket holder update:

I was actually pretty optimistic that BC Place would open up before September, so I'm somewhat disappointed that there will only be 3 or 4 games there. I also read in an article somewhere that the Lions could have asked for a back-loaded schedule, but didn't due to the uncertainty surrounding the completion of BC Place. They should have done it anyway, in my opinion, but it seems too late now that the schedule should be released pretty soon.

They're going to have fun translating tickets from one stadium to the other.

yah lol seat allocation should be fun

And there we have it: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Plac ... story.html

B.C. Lions game first event for renovated BC Place stadium

VANCOUVER - Despite rumours that the renovated facility won’t actually open until November, the B.C. Lions announced today that they will be the first Vancouver pro sports team to play in BC Place Stadium, on Friday, Sept. 30. Their opposition that night will announced with the release of 2011 Canadian Football League schedule.

“This is another historic day for the organization,” Lions president Dennis Skulsky stated in a news release. “It’s our honour and privilege to host what will be BC Place’s first professional sports event under the retractable roof.”

The indoor stadium opened in 1983 with a North American League Soccer game between the Vancouver Whitecaps and Seattle Sounders and drew a full house of 60,000 fans. It closed to professional sports, conventions and flat shows in April 2010 for extensive renovations which includes a retractable roof, a centre field replay screen, new seats, washrooms and decorative upgrades. The Lions played all of their 2010 home schedule at Empire Field, a temporary facility on the PNE Grounds. They’ll begin their 2011 at the same venue.

The Whitecaps, set to join Major League Soccer in 2011, will play all of their home games at Empire Field this season before switching to BC Place in 2012. By that time, PavCo, the government body which controls the stadium, is expected to have reached agreement on corporate naming rights for the sports arena.

New BC Place will play host to Canada’s largest sporting event - the 99th Grey Cup game - on Sunday, Nov. 27.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion … z1DOkTDraP

No offense to the whitecaps, but it should be the Lions opening up the new BC place anyways. They've been there since 1983.
Can't wait to see what it looks like for a game..
60 000 people to witness the Lions win their 6th Grey Cup wouldn't be too bad!