Stadium site not even Hamilton's decision

From today's Spec

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/674725

[b]Games debates will have to wait

Host corporation will decide venues[/b]

Excerpts:

"Hamiltonians can debate all they want about a new stadium site, but the final decision on venues for the 2015 Pan Am Games will be made by a host corporation that hasn't yet been set up"

and

Borowiec says the province, federal government, City of Toronto, Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee will have seats on the board of the new Games corporation due to be set up before the end of the year.
"It will then be negotiating venues, finalizing plans, hiring staff and organizing volunteers."

and

"quotes chair David Peterson as saying: "Things change once the bid is won. Venues can change for various reasons, according to needs of municipalities and sport federations."

So, officially, Hamilton hasn't "won" a darn thing yet........everything could change.

Mayor Fred is really looking like he's been kept in the dark about a lot. And here he's all happy he purchased the Rheem site?

...the fun begins again..... :roll:

Well if thats the case maybe we'll get lucky and not get the stadium after all. No, we couldn't be that lucky. We can build a better stadium for less as illustrated by the many links to other stadium projects so losing the games would free up the $62M to do it right

Figures, we get the short end of the stick! :frowning:

No our taxes won't go up for a bad stadium. How is that a bad thing?

So, it turns out that Bob Young (and his people) has been the only one thinking smart here as he's already scoped out 6-7 sites.........Mayor Fred? 1 (which has already lost a $25 million dollar naming rights sponsor)

This is kind of funny because it appears City Council won't even get a vote on the site after all.

My suggestion to the Mayor?........let Bob Young do all the due diligence on the sites (even if it's a dozen) that make sense and stay out of it, especially given this new revelation today. I can see Hamilton losing this stadium very easily if this venue selection committee senses any shenanigans or problems with various factions within Hamilton (council or community). They won't wait for legal battles in court to get resolved either.

That would be wrong Deer. There are 62 million reasons the committee will listen to city council. As well the city has control of the building permit process. If its built in Hamilton city council has to agree to it

Well, perhaps we were all asleep, thinking Hamilton has the stadium in the bag when this was written......

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/671988

"While Young is still excited at Friday's Pan Am win and businessman David Braley, an early proponent of the bid, is "higher than I usually get," the reality of Games' development is a sobering backdrop.

Often, venues change location and even city from the bid plans to the final product. Vancouver 2010 is a prime example, with the skating oval originally slated for Burnaby ending up in Richmond.

That's a $180-million jewel that will become a huge sports excellence, recreation and wellness centre after the Games in February.

But if Hamilton fumbles this hand-off, Pan Am sources say two nearby municipalities would be eager to step up.

So, really, all that's been won so far is Toronto hosting it........the Pan Am venue committee will chose the sites,and/or communities later...Braley is correct......this is very sobering so we shouldn't get excited yet. That $62 million you spoke of could come from any community.....Burlington?.Oakville?.Mississauga?

Burlington and Oakville, not a chance
Mississauga maybe

I can only hope. $60M would be better spent to do this independently with $50M from the private sector. We'd get a better stadium it would not cost a nickel more and we wouldn't be saddled with useless costly to maintain facilities like the velodrome and practice track

Maybe this is far fetched but why not throw Toronto in the mix as well to get the new stadium although Mississauga probably more likely or maybe Vaughn which is a big soccer community, and maybe the Argos end up partnering in. If Braley is involved with the Argos and Pan-Am bid?

Far fetched but as said, it's still not decided yet where it's going.

AKT... is there talks about building a stadium wthout the games? I never heard so..maybe i missed it
Won't that cost you tax dollars anyways? who's to say you'd like any design someone else comes up with... leave it to the city to back it you know where it's going to end up? yes thats right on the land they already purchased for that purpose.

But i am doubting that without the games will come a new stadium.

Maybe you should give it a chance .. after all its not too hard to place some stands around a rectangle

$62M is not going to build much either way.

As I understand it, the stadium called for will seat 15 thousand, wheras, the stadium we need to build in the end must seat 30 thousand.

Is anyone else concerned that there is an enourmas amount of room there for out of control cost overruns, in getting a stadium enlarged from 15 to 30 thousand?

I'm not architect or designer but to me the main cost is getting the stadium with all the dressing rooms, offices, concessions etc. at 15,000. The backbone is all there then. Adding another 10,000 or so seats shouldn't be a huge issue as this will be designed in the original plans and all a go, that is if it's done in 2 stages the stadium that is.

Actually yes there was a contingency plan to do something about a football stadium if the Pan Am bid failed. Mayor Fred didn't expand on that thought but he made it quite clear within the past month that patchwork repairs to IWS stadium was not an option and a plan B was being developed. He said they had the same $60M earmarked for the project so it won't cost a nickel more or a nickel less than the Pan Am option. Yes I am opposed to spending the money but more importantly if we are to spend the money I don't want to see future costs that can be avoided by selecting the most versatile site and the design that won't render it unpopular. There have been literally dozens of stadiums built for US colleges in the past decade and many of those are in the 25-30 thousand range coming in under $100M. Yes it can be done without the games. I've posted at least 6 better than the proposed one. One thing is sure, the stadium site will end up on city property. There are several options besides the Rheem site that fit this requirement.

Mayor Fred is really looking like he's been kept in the dark about a lot?
What?

Somebody has been living under a rock, and it's not Mayor Fred. :roll:

The process all along has been, first, a Pan Am Games bid committee

chosen for their expertise in that process.

and, secondly, a new Games corporation

consisting of individuals selected for their expertise

in negotiating venues, stadium design, finalizing plans,
hiring staff and organizing volunteers etc.

who will sit on a board which will be set up in a few weeks.

I really hope there are no other people reading you post who are so far out of the loop
that don’t know the city considered several other sites or you would be dangerous.

The Airport Lands, the city’s 2nd choice, another downtown site
and Confederation Park just to name the more serious ones.

This is kind of funny because it appears City Council won't even get a vote on the site after all.

My suggestion to the Mayor?

…let Bob Young do all the due diligence on the sites
(even if it’s a dozen) that make sense and stay out of it,

That process is over.

The bid committee was always going to hand off
the Pan Am Games to a Games Corporation.

especially given this new revelation today.
This may be news to you, but not to people who have carefully followed this process.
I can see Hamilton losing this stadium very easily if this venue selection committee senses any shenanigans or problems with various factions within Hamilton (council or community).

They won’t wait for legal battles in court to get resolved either.

Cool! That`s your opinion, but it would be nice

if you had kept your facts straight about what Mayor Fred knows,
and what he doesn`t know, about the process and what he done.

Yeah ron, there's nothing new here. This is the process.

It's not like we're losing the games

On that we agree

"ronfromtigertown wrote":

[i]"I really hope there are no other people reading you post who are so far out of the loop
that don't know the city considered several other sites or you would be dangerous.

The Airport Lands, the city's 2nd choice, another downtown site
and Confederation Park just to name the more serious ones."[/i]

No Ron, what's really dangerous if for you or anyone else to honestly believe Mayor Fred has more than one site in mind. I stand on my statement. Fred has one site, don't kid yourself. He (and by extension, the city) even purchased it and has been trumpeting it exclusively.

He's the mayor, not absolute dictator.