Stadium Noise

In Hamilton, Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto and BC, why do the PA announcers scream at the top of their lungs through the sound system in order to get the fans cheering ? I was watching a game from Hamilton on TV and I could barely hear the TSN Commentators over the noise coming through the PA system at Ivor Wynn. Are they expecting the fans to stand up and cheer for 3 hours straight ? Even when there is a long break in the game, they want the fans to " Make some noise" . It just may be me but, I think the fans know when to cheer, and when to make noise for their team. There needs to be an action to cause a reaction. Good play = Loud Cheer. When your defense is on the field you want to encourage them to make a good play. One example I have is the Taylor Field faithful. All the stadium announcer does is tell the fans what player made the play, penalties, yards gained... etc. The fans there make thier own noise and cheer when the time is right. Nobody tells them when to make noise. There is a new penalty that you can not use "electric noise while a team is in play" The team is in play once the whistle blows to start the play, correct ?

Good point Kmam. I find the announcers in Calgary and Edmonton particularly annoying, no offense to their great fans. I recall that some teams complained about Hamilton last year because they played fake crowd noise through their loudspeakers. That is about as lame as it gets.

I think every team needs a decrepid looking gopher holding up signs. That is a real winner.

Gainer does his job well, you gotta give him that.

This is definately new one. Not wanting to create excitement in a game. I often comment about how dull other stadium announcers sound. And I'm not saying this view is wrong. I guess I never thought someone didn't energetic stadium announcers. Very interesting way to look at it.

I can say I enjoy Mookie at the Stamps games. He is high energy and keeps spirits up, but now it would be interesting to see what others think of stadium announcers.

No No, I am not against excitment at games at all. I am also not saying other announcers are too dull. I am just inquiring if it is a hinderence, or if the fans like the screaming and artificial noise.

I agree, i hate the announcers doing that. Fans are smart enough to know
when to cheer. Gets annoying.

IMO the announcer should just be there to "report" on plays and penalties, not to cheerlead. That's one of the things I hate the most about the NLL, is the announcer cheerleading and even mocking the other team while the play is still on.
Granted, it's hard getting 30,000+ people to tune into the same thing without the announcer telling everyone ... (ie, everyone can hear him, at least).
At McMahon, they'll play clips of players saying stuff like "Give it up for your defence!" on the jumbotron, and even though the clips can seem out of place somehow, they're a good idea. I'd like to see more of those (perhaps a bit better done, too :wink:)

Announcers should just report on the plays and whatnot. No need to get all loud, I know if the announcer at Bomber games started yelling, it wouldn't pump me up. I know when to make noise. It seems both the prairie teams know when to get loud. And playing crowd noise through thte speakers is silly. A lot of teams did it last year (including Winnipeg).

The Bombers announcer is bad. He only does it after a touchdown of field goal. I was at the Als game and he did nothing of the sort.

What about the over anxious Canon Guy in Taylor field a few years back. I cannot remember the player but he was just about to catch a TD pass when the Canon guy got ahead of himself in the same endzone..........there he is.. wide open...touch......BOOOM!!!!..no wait he dropped the ball!!!!. I am sure the guy went to the dressing room after that to change his shorts, that was quite a few years back ,but too funny

Do you mean “The Flame” ?

oops. i meant to say that he isn't bad

There is a difference b/t the stadium announcer and the "in-crowd" personality, that does give aways and goes from section to section talking to people. The job of the announcer is to inform the fans of what is happening on the field.

Announcers should just do their jobs!

They're not cheerleaders, and the fans aren't morons.

Asking people to "make some noise" when nothing is happening on the field is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

It's kind of saying "LISTEN UP FANS, WE WANT YOU TO YELL, WE DON'T CARE IF THERE'S NOTHING HAPPENING, YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE ANYWAY, SO JUST STAND UP AND YELL WHEN WE TELL YOU, YOU MORONS!"

Announcers who do that, irritating music between plays, and ads all over the fake grass are the three main reasons I don't go to games anymore.

Went to a game at Molson Stadium in Montreal 2 years ago, managed to get a seat on the 50-yard-line (easy when you're by yourself), but left at halftime because the irritation was getting too severe.

As I've said before:

JUST LET ME WATCH THE GODDAMN GAME! DON'T TELL ME WHEN TO CHEER, DON'T ASSAULT ME WITH POP MUSIC AFTER EVERY PLAY, JUST LEMME WATCH THE GAME!!

People in sports marketing these days don't care about anyone over 40 - they just want to appeal to the younger crowd, and assume that anyone in his teens or twenties is a moron.

Fine, I'll just stay home.

f