Stadium Envy

The Riders stadium is a beauty. The fans deserve it that's for sure and you won't be seeing any empty seats anytime soon. Now if Calgary could get some new digs as well :frowning:

If this season ends poorly you will see empty seats…waiting list for season tickets or not.

There has been a hell of a run…the team turned around in 2007 and won, that boosted season tickets for a couple seasons as they made a few GC appearances…then it was the ‘new stadium coming’ in combination with 2013 GC…nobody was giving up a chance to attend that. Then it was people wanting to be there for the last season and now so many wanting to be in the first year of the new stadium. Don’t kid yourself…there are a lot of people that are on the fence win or lose…losing would just make it worse. of course in a year or 2 another hosting of the GC will be announced (likely 2021 or sooner)

Any stadium under 30,000 for the future, maybe 20 years. Look forward/ahead

YOU pick, Montreal its coming, Ottawa its going, Toronto holding OWN.
You pick.
Attendance this week.
Montreal 18,728
Winnipeg 30,165
Ottawa 24,347 but sold out. ouch!
Sask 33,050

Lets double salary cap for better players and games and entertainment. More TV revenue.
Lets see mini cities compete or collapse again..

If it happens, it is a long long way away.

We are building a new ring road and LRT extension.
Lots of $$$$$$$$$. is going to that.

The Mayor ( who I despise ) and I agree.
We need to focus on the priorities .
A new stadium is not a priority.

What you outsiders are hearing and reading is talk, drawings and concepts.
^^^^^ do not make the decisions.

Nothing more.

Winnipeg's expansive stadium was built on the cheap - and in the wrong place (U of M bog).

What Winnipeg needed (and what the poor taxpayer could afford) is a slightly larger version of Ottawa (26,500 to 28,000 w/ expansion to 35,000 for playoffs or Grey Cups) @ 140 to 160 million - not clocking in @ 240 million + counting - plus massive interest pymts + regular breakdowns in the infrastructure.

Relying on notorious Wpg financial criminals like D Asper, having an early Alzheimer's premier (Selinger) give Asper free run (bringing in Hop Sing as architect) now is coming home to roost. You got a CEO who's turned into a veritable bus-boy, continually worried about getting fans in and out of the stadium located in the worst possible place!

Having an all-Canadian mgmt. team is a valiant idea - but the ceo now runs the transportation & toilets dept., the Gm Gomer Kyle is vastly inexperienced hiring & deploying effective scouting (particularly down south) & the coach, while a celebrated cdn. player is in way over his head as a professional football coach. Despite all this Wpg can still round up crowds of 30,000+ to witness their team getting eaten alive by a group missing 1/3 its primary roster. Its called running on goodwill - & goodwill can be turned off like a tap!

If Miller (who's not really a football man but more a slobbish troll who was allowed to roster on inferior teams for 7 to 9 yrs . . . . continues to feign unrelenting support for Gomer Kyle & Mike O'Shea the program will be playing before 17,000 to 19,00 diehard lemmings - winning 3 to 7 / season & rapidly defaulting on its long-term mortage payback!

Still time to bring in veteran hand like Sgt. Bilko (Jim Barker) instead of being top bus-boy for Wpg Transit, fixing toilets & making untenable guarantees for escaping the facility!

As long as people can get in and out in a few hours. People crave about going to Buffalo for example from Ontario, driving 3 hours each way and waiting on the on/off ramps from the highways which adds further hours, it’s basically a whole day affair that seems to work for many, just so they can drink in a big parking lot, have some beers and a BBQ and toss some play football around.

As well, I doubt there will be stadium issues with crowds like the Hillsborough disaster in England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

But hey, it’s the Canadian way to complain Lyle, I think it’s part of our overall genetic makeup as Canadians. I’m guilty as well though, believe me. :smiley:

Also, my toilet keeps on running after I flush it. Can you send one those toilet fixers to my house as I’m sure they are experienced and know their stuff if they can fix stadium toilets. :wink:

I e-mailed Wad Miller about your toilet problem - he said his days as ‘The Flying Plumber’ are over; he recommended you take your hand off the handle at some point!!! lol

Lyle, that would require me think, to take my hand off the handle, and I'm not always too sharp at the thinking game, well some might say at any rate. :wink:

nice article thanks you