Stadium debate begins...

Renovate Ivor Wynne, or build a new stadium?

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - The president of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats has dropped the gauntlet.

Scott Mitchell told today's mayor's luncheon the 77-year old Ivor Wynne Stadium must undergo 40 to 50-million dollars in renovations in the next two or three years.

If there isn't a commitment to those renovations, the Ticats would be forced to look at constructing a new stadium.

That would require massive dollars from all levels of government as well as the public and private sector as well.

Mitchell says a new stadium would be a multi-use facility large enough to host a Grey Cup, Commonwealth Games and concerts.

There's no debate. A new stadium is not going to be built. Who would pay for it? I don't see any level of government putting up the cash unless they had something like the Commonwealth Games already locked up.

Ivor Wynne will continue to get band-aid renovations until the place is literally too unsafe to host games.

Its a debate that needs to happen. Why pour millions and millions of dollars into a stadium that is so old. The band aid approach can only work for so long.

depends , what does 50 million get you in renos nowadays?

or tear down IWS and close Cannon and use scott park , brian timmis and IWS site as the new location.

How many stadiums have been built in Toronto in the last 77 years?

I think we are due for a new stadium at this point. Nothing too crazy, just a nice, modern facility.

I think short of IWS crumbling what PC45 has stated is how it's going to be.

Money builds infastructure and there will be no money unless there is more than just the Ti-Cats needing a stadium.

"If there isn't a commitment to those renovations, the Ticats would be forced to look at constructing a new stadium."
I see Scott Mitchell's statement speaks for all Ticat fans.
Oh I see what he means now.... 1) the stadium seating isn't up to par with other CFL of NFL sites. (Name a better stadium for veiwing football in N.A. - you can't. Inside Ivor Wynne, they say every seat's a good one.
2) Might be trying to convey Ivor Wynne is becoming delapitated and will eventually fall apart. (I have never heard that before. The north stands were rebuilt in 1971 and there have been extensive renovations over the years. So if using the 77 year old staduim cry, it isn't valid. It's solid.)
3) Ivor Wynne can't host a Grey Cup. (The '96 Grey Cup was perhaps one of the best ever. Did they think they would sell out with the A#r%o# in the final anyway? This is Hamilton!!!)
4) There will be increased attendance in a new complex. (I have not experienced larger attendance since i have been going dating back to the early 80's) 5)There will be a better atmosphere in a modern comlex. (There is no better atmosphere than Ivor Wynne. With a new stadium you get the perimeter track for track and field events which moves the stands back 10-15 yards away from the field. Look at Commonwealth in Edmonton, the Big O, or the Roger's Centre. b.o.r.i.n.g. Besides I.W. has streets like Melrose, with solid homes, tall trees and lawns full of cars on game day. It's the experience that counts. Welcome to Ivor Wynne stadium, the place where you can reach out and actually touch a Tiger-Cat.)
Why do executives with visions of dollars in their eyes always try to ruin a good thing? Then always #%@% up. Look at T.O.'s stadium or the Big O.) Long live I.W. and the traditions that keeps me going back and feeling like part of the game experience!!!!

Welcome to Ivor Wynne stadium, the place where you can reach out and actually touch a Tiger-Cat.) Why do executives with visions of dollars in their eyes always try to ruin a good thing? Then always #%@% up. Look at T.O.'s stadium or the Big O.) Long live I.W. and the traditions that keeps me going back and feeling like part of the game experience!!!!
I think you're missing the point. What I got from the interview is that Scott was starting the debate of...does it make economical sense to pay X-number of dollars to fix IWS or does a new statium make sense. I dont think he was pushing for one way or another.

I got the point. He's threatening to do build a new one if he doesn't get fincial backing for renovations. He's implying there's some kind of crisis to get this renovation done. He's a paid executive with too much time on his hands.

I'm not sure thats the case synthcat, I'm pretty sure it's been known for years that Ivor Wynne would need renovations by the 2010 timeframe but that nobody has done anything yet. I don't think he's trying to portray this as a crisis, it's just reality he's talking about.

Mayor, Ticats make new stadium talks a priority

September 27, 2007
By JOHN KERNAGHAN
The Hamilton Spectator

A new home for the Tiger-Cats will be a top priority once the current budget process is completed, says Mayor Fred Eisenberger.

The stadium situation was set out starkly by Ticat president Scott Mitchell today. He was speaking at the Mayor’s Luncheon.

“Where do we play?? Mitchell asked after outlining a decision that must be made in the next two or three years.

Ivor Wynne Stadium is declining rapidly and would cost $30 t0 $40 million to rebuild.

Mitchell said the city can go that route and have a limited-use facility or consider a new stadium capable of housing more events.

Eisenberger said he’d like city staff to start examining options, including an inner-city location, as soon as the city’s budget is ironed out.

I really don't think the taxpayers are going to go for this after the expense of the Red Hill Creek Expressway just being completed....

The next order of business is to replace all the inadequate storm sewer pipes that are causing more and more serious flooding.....if this city catches the tail end of a hurricane right now with 6-8 inches of rainfall (and it's happened), there will be a disaster for sure......

.....all the development on the mountain has added way too much pressure on the storm sewers down below and they are exploding at an alarming rate.

Dave and Maureen Sauve will tell you what happened to their Tim Hortons store/mini head office for their stores on Kenilworth twice in succession last year due to storms.....it wasn't pretty.

I would urge Mr. Mitchell to give a longer time-frame like maybe 5-6 years.

Hey, I'm all for renovations. But, where did you get the "renovations by the 2010 timeframe." Threatening to look at building at brand new stadium is a threat. Not sure who made Scott Mitchell god. Anyone know?

haha, well, I think we are playing with words at this point. Characterizing something like this as a “threat” is going a bit overboard to me, thats a loaded word. “Reality”, “threat”, however you or me want to characterize it, he just expressed the reality that the Tiger-Cats can’t play in Ivor Wynne for too much longer without renovations (the only alternatives being moving the team, folding the team or building a new stadium).

As for the 2010 time frame, I’m not going to go digging through old Spectator’s, but I distinctly remember an article in 2000 saying that Ivor Wynne would need renovations to keep it structurally sound within the next 10 years.

Only believe half of what you hear and only part of what you read...... or something like that. lol But remember the words "hidden agenda" its more common that you think. profit Someone always seems to get kickbacks for something or other.

i dont care how close to the game you are id rather sit in a new stadium than ivor wyne anyday.

Roger's Centre is only a 50 minute drive. Go there. Football sort of becomes like wathing cricket. But hey you might like cricket.

So You would Rather Sit Behind a Track Like in Edmonton.

I would Not .. I Want IWS Fixed..

If She could rebuilt to her Glory Days

We Be the Envy of CFL

Good luck in trying to convince councillors and the Mayor that pumping $50 million into renovating IWS that will be used perhaps 10 times a year is a good financial decision.

Time for a multi use stadium.

BC Place built in 1983 cost 126 million
Skydome cost 500 million in 1984, however if the cost of SkyDome in 1984 is adjusted for inflation, it would be roughly 1.05 billion CDN (2006)
BMO Soccer Stadium in Toronto with 20,000 capacity cost 69 million.
Have any idea of what the cost of a 35-50,000 seat football stadium with press and corporate boxes would cost today?