Stadium Announcer, Mike Nabuurs

On a somewhat unrelated note, but while we've got the attention of the crew, can we get more replays on the big screen? I found a number of times last game there was something I wanted a second look at and the screen showed nothing but the live feed from the end of the play to the start of the next.

I don't mind if ads are in the way as I understand someone needs to pay for that giant screen. Suspect calls that went our way, well, sometimes you just can't get the replay prepared in time, right? :wink: A few times though I was left scratching my head anticipating the replay wondering what the use is of showing guys walking on and off the field.

I'm nitpicking of course, crew's doing a great job :thup:

Mike Nabuurs is doing a great Job! Him and Bill Kelly are my all time favourites :cowboy:

If I could suggest anything, it would be those "noise meters" at key points in the game on defence. And like someone said, maybe a shhhh when the offence is on the field.

I noticed during the Labour Day game that Jake was often letting the music continue to play too close to the snap of the ball, with the QB (for both teams) trying to call his signals.

I don’t see the need for music at all when we have the offence on the field. Let our guys get the plays clearly in the huddle. Play as much as you want when the defence is on the field. I noticed that our offence had problems with plays when the music played during our huddle. So cut the music when we are on offence, please!

I can’t remember the exact circumstance, but I recall a time in the game where it seemed like Edmonton was probably deciding whether or not to challenge a play. I was pleased to see that no replay was shown, therefore making their decision that much harder. I thought to myself, either our replay guys are really smart, or by chance, they just didn’t get around to showing that particular play.

I remember way back long ago, when Ivor Wynne still had nothing but a pixel board and challenges didn’t exist, I’d see the Jumbotron at the SkyDome and was 100% sure they’d hide the replay if the Argos got the benefit of an iffy call. I’ve always suspected we do it too but have never been as sure.

Anyway, when this is the case, I just assume its so and leave it be. In fact, if we do this, keep doing it!

I don’t mean those instances though. I don’t remember any particular play, but I just remember a few times last game scratching my head wondering where the replay was. There was even a time I thought Austin may be interested in challenging, but the replay was either not there or really late.

I’ve even began to wonder if there is a league directive telling teams not to show controversial plays, regardless of who they benefit. This is just my own conspiracy theory though.

I specifically remember looking for the replay of Collaros being picked off by JC Sherritt to see what happened, but there was none. A couple other less memorable times too.

totally agree with that!

But can he pull off the “always looks like he’s wearing a Hawaiian shirt” look even when he’s not wearing a Hawaiian shirt?

My favourite Jason Farr memory was when he was a (in over his head) DJ at Oldies 1150. That he was too young to actually remember the oldies lead to this humourous exchange:

I wanted to request a song from my youth as it was a great song from a great group, so I called their request line and spoke to Farr. I asked him to play “Momma Told Me Not To Come” by Three Dog Night and his response was:

“We don’t play songs like that”.

(Thinking about it after the call made me realize that he, in his dirty little mind, used the alternate spelling of the word come and thought it must be something off colour).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I requested Joy To The World, or something else in its place. I’ve also heard Momma Told Me Not To Come many times since then on CKOC. :wink:

All I can say Mike is keep up the great work. We'll forgive the little errors in military ranking. :wink:

Announcers like Nabuurs and his predecessor Jason farr are not my Cup of Tea

He dose good Job but it just not my Taste .

I miss guys like Norn Marshall But I know the just the fact days are over …

I like men who gave us basic info Down Distance and what happened

Collaros on Scramble 5 year gain tackled by Odell Willis 2nd & 5
Hamilton 14 Edmonton 13.

Then on to the next play.

This was what I grew up on Without the Over the Top Drivel of today .

Fans want more out of Announcer and I’ll Just have to get Use to it .

I’m sure there was no intended slight against the men and women who serve our country so bravely on a daily basis. I’m also glad Mike promised to remember the correct (Canadian military) pronunciation in the future. :slight_smile:

:rockin:

Wow, much better reception here for Mike than Tim Micalef after his first game as radio play by play man one season.
Reading this reminds me of a funny story....
He called the Cats "Tabbies" several times during his first game call.
He was masacared on the Fifth Quarter (which he hosted) after by almost everyone fan who called in.
Each caller seemed to mention ....by the way its the Ticats not Tabbies in a mostly unforgiving manner.
Poor guy, it was ackward, welcome to Hamilton. I see why he didn't stay long!
Seems to be doing ok now on the Fan590.

Wow I’m shocked!

For years I thought Jason Farr was the guy from The Score, and the guy from The Score was our PA guy. Now you’re telling me that the REAL guy from The Score used to do our play-by-play?

Mind = blown

http://images.tvrage.com/people/136/405037.jpg

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/29D1B0E7-32DC-4EC1-80CC-0B3DB21BDBF5/0/CouncillorFarr.jpg

My favourite was Bill Stirrup. Solid, professional and never got in the way of the game. After all, that's what I was there for.

I understand that times change and, with it, so has the job. It's a different world in stadiums and arenas now.

I haven't heard Mike Nabuurs' work as of yet. But, I admire his abilities, based on the number of compliments he's received in this thread.

I do hope to get a listen to it before this season is over.

I agree Bill was Solid announcer He was 2nd one I got to listen too

I know he did Bull Dogs games till he Passed away

[url=http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3416383]http://www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3416383[/url]

Hey Robofan how can you comment on a stadium announcer mike nabours thread when you have not gone to any games at THF yet

He was the Announcer last year in Guelph