Stade Olympique

Its all good if they renovate the interior as well. Lighting, Multimedia, Sound, Big screen. All of it is rotten and obsolete.

Very true Tony. If the history of construction projects in Quebec is used as a guide:

-When they say $250-$300 million, it will actually cost $725 million;

-When they say completed by 2023, it will be completed in 2029.

Sad, but true…

By way of comparison, the Roughriders built their new jewel of a stadium for $278 million.

And the roof being completed in 2029 is not a problem. Kavis will have completed his 10 step plan by then and we can have a playoff game in the Big O.

It appears the city has listed the Big O as a 3.5 billion dollar asset... Basically, the city uses it as collateral to borrow money...

That will be part of their next two year study. Sometime after 2029.

;D

Follow that up with investigating any possible corruption that may have taken place.

Then it will be Critically important that Kavis performs a forensic 28 layer matrix anal it ticks.

Step one: Hang Joe from a crane with a blower to test wind resistance while a snow making machine blows on the roof.

Quebec City's new arena came in under budget so there is hope for the new roof on Olympic Stadium staying within budget as well. I think Montreal plans to refurbish the entire dome and tower(which has been completed or in the process) over the course of the next several years. Once this happens, Montreal will probably see a couple of Grey Cups within a short time frame.

They have to do a restoration indoors as well. The Jumbo screen still uses incadescentlight bulbs. and the cones drivers of the speakers are rotted through. Last game I attended you could not make out ONE word coming out of these things. Sodium lighting… I can only imagine how much power is needed to power that stadium up.

Can’t say I pay a lot of attention to the Quebec construction industry. Olympics were famously over-budget (one part being the unions being on strike for almost 1/3 of the time between start and end of construction) but not aware of projects in the last 20 years that had the escalations you describe.

This video shows the type of technology that is being looked at:

As a very long fan of the Als, I do hope I will still be around to see the Als Grey Cup win at the Big Owe.

C’est une enveloppe de 250 millions qui a été réservée, mais le coût de ce toit pourrait être en-deçà de 200 millions. Seulement, il y a des sommes à dépenser pour monter le cahier de charges et les conditions d’appel d’offres, sans compter la négociation des enveloppes brunes… :wink:

If they get the roof eventually I would hold the playoff game there like they did before the holes . You want the event to be special ; to fill all those seats . I would not put another regular season game there unless there was a conflict with PMS .

I can't see them not putting new seats in the big owe they are well over due for a change .

It would be a nice improvement if they put in some new seats in PMS as well .

I can’t see the Board of Governors agreeing to CONSIDER a gid to hosting their flagship game at the BigO till that roof is in place. 2025 at the earliest.

There is also the issue of the rebar holding the concrete in the spines o the stadium that have also been called into question. They went dark with that so who knows where that is at?

It will take at least six years according to this article

Yes, they are doing restoration indoors over several years.

Highlights in the article include

When it comes to the Olympic Stadium, everything is big.The invoice associated with its renovation is accordingly.Taxpayers will pay as much as $ 400 million in 20 years to bring the entire park up to standard.

This total does not even account for the roof to be redone, an additional bill of at least 150 million.
After 40 years, the Olympic Park, a behemoth worth 4 billion if it had to be rebuilt today, needs love and must be brought up to standard.If there are no setbacks, the Olympic Park will be beautiful as a whistle for his 55thbirthday in 2031.
The gigantic construction site began around 2010 with a round of work of 100 million.The most visible aspect of the first phase is the refurbishment of the Olympic swimming pool and sports center.The end result is successful.Mr. Taillibert, 90, appreciated it, it seems."He was very moved because his volumes are respected.He said that for him it was one of the most beautiful sports and aquatic centers, "says Labrecque.
A second round of work of 100 million has been authorized for the years 2016-2021.
The money will be used to repair, repair and upgrade the Montréal tower and replace the funicular, which has reached the end of its useful life.Work at the thermal power plant, the repair of concrete slabs and work on parking will also be done in this phase.
The new funicular should be operational no later than the spring of 2019. The renovation of the tourist hall and the observatory at the top of the tower will take place in 2020-2021.
After 2021, it will be the turn of the Stadium to undergo a makeover: sound, LED lighting, refurbishment of toilets, replacement of benches, fenestration, renewal of the sound and video control and modernization of mechanical ventilation subsystems and electrical power supplying the offices of the Regroupement des organizations de loisirs.
What doesnotincludethe 400 million bill

When all is said and done we are looking at a tidy sum of at least $600+ million for renos including the roof although that sum included the above-mentioned aquatic centre, sports centre, tower and stadium. No mention of replacement of the general seats which I believe are almost entirely from the original incarnation of the stadium 40 years ago. Those are in desperate need of replacement. If that’s not included in the above expenses I’m sure that will be another $20 million. I think Edmonton had to spend $12 - $15 million to replace all their seats.

Nice to see they are refurbishing the whole thing. Unfortunate that it is done over such a long stretch because when you get to the end its time to renovate other stuff, so the thing never has that brand spanking new feel everywhere but its logical to do it this way financially.

$600 million would sure built a really nice new stadium.