Stade Olympique Retractable Roof Timeline

Honestly I dont know the answer.
I do know that demolition of the stadium is waaay out of the question $$$$$ wise.
With that the fact.
But if Quebecor/TVA/Videotron multi zillion dollar corp would get involved. With a modern new roof on the stadium.
To get Baseball MLB team back in Montreal. With Qurbecor. Couldnt the stadium be gutted. & renavated to meetvMLB Stadards. Kind of similar but i know not the exact same that was done at BC place.
Quebecor is part of a 4 million dollar arena that was funded by the govt in QC along with Quebecor. For an NHL team but currently it doesnt seem to be happeningvin the near future. So the Remparts are the only tenant right now.
???

There is a local group which includes Stephen Bronfman and Mitch Garber who have been in contact with MLB over the last little while.
There was a report out last month that an area near the Peel basin that has their eye to build a new downtown stadium.

That’s right. IF the Expos come back, they won’t play at Olympic Stadium.

Exactly. Only as a temporary location until a new stadium was complete would they play there.

Hard to understand why the governments are looking at spending another $250 million + for some form of roof so that it can be used for the occasional sporting event, entertainment show (what a horrible place to watch a show) and trade show.

And I expect TSN/RDS to be in the mix more than TVA/Quebecor.

The Tampa Rays are worth approximately 1 Billion US now or 1.25 billion Canadian . The least valued franchise in MLB . Add a stadium into the mix and the hill to climb is quite the task for a team that was not loved the last few years of it’s stay . The Old Expos franchise who are now the Washington Nationals are valued at 1.67 billion according to Forbes .

With a possible 250 million in over all revenue it’s quite the undertaking . The Jays made 274 million but bought in at a much lower value .

Not saying it won’t happen but I see a National Hockey team in QC before a MLB team in Montreal . The hill is much less steep to achieve the goal of profitability and is less a gamble .

Interesting that the Bronfmans owned them from 68 to 90 then gave up on them and now wants them back . They were not successful CFL owners with the Concordes and Als .

Stephen Bronfman worked for the Expos in 1986 . I wonder if it’s one of those district plans that includes condos etc… that is driving the interest for a stadium and a franchise .

Lastly the Jays and Expos found out outdoor baseball stadiums in Canada reduces the chances of good attendance during the years the team is mediocre . It’s just too nasty here for a longer period of time to watch a slow sport that can last hours .

If they renovate Olympic stadium it’ll be a football/soccer stadium, should be renovated like BC place so can block off the upper bowl, possibly have alouetts move back into there… who knows but MLB attendance has falling in the past few years so putting a new team in a 50,000 plus stadium would be a waste of time, it’ll be better to be used for grey cups, cfl playoff games, vanier cups and maybe an MLS cup game… who know, but if Montreal gets a baseball team there better off building a baseball stadium made for it then using an old stadium that wasn’t build for it in the first place

Hey thanks for the info everyone.
Its good to a solid group leading the charge for MLB back in Montreal. As well as already looking at a site.
Agreed tho for sure the stadium would to have the ability to be enclosed. & some sort of roof that is retractsble seems to be wat MLB is looking for now.
That would really give a real good pitch to get the Rays out of that Stadium & Tampa / St Pete.

As far as NHL in QC they have done everything the NHL has asked for.
It still Baffles me that the NHL Continues beating a dead horse in Phoenix with Coyotes.

As for Olympic Stadium they cant tear it down. Its unusable half the year with the dangerous roof.
BC place set up & its renos looks like potentially the best option.
Opposed to the short sighted plan to throw on a rectractable roof just for WC. then wat

If Olympic Stadium can some how get a safe roof in. It would ensure the Blue Jays games at the end of Spring Training would not be in Jeopardy at the end of March.
Even the potential to expand it for a week of 5 or 6 games to end Spring Training with the potential to play a couple different teams in a 2 - 3 game series.
Baseball fans in Montreal may be more confident to secure tickets early. Knowing the games are secure

The one thing that I assurly agree with that a new roof would be a HUGE success for the City would be a GC.
The 2020 & 2021 Grey cups will be played in Regina & Hamilton.
Two very awesome modern stadiums but both will be outside.
Second Regina is certainly a hard destination to get to. As well as lodging issues for the regular mass of GC followers from all over Canada.
Hamilton has some similar issues. With enough lodging that is close to Tim Hortons.
As well as really not great access to the stadium.

After having 2019 in Calgary followed by the 2020 & 2021 cities.
The Mass of GC followers would be chomping at the bit to get to a Major City, with easy access for travel. Easy access to the stadium. Plenty of lodging. Indoors in a warm setting eluminating the issues that Edmonton had in 2018.
Plenty of places for teams to set up there traditional team centrals.
Plus its A huge Party city for fans with so much going on.
Add teaming the Vanier Cup up with the GC with a EXCELLENT likely that Laval will be in it.
Imagine the influx of Major $$$$$$$ pumped into the city.
Especially after the previous GC in Toronto bust in 2016 at BMO.
and the 2018 thru 2021 locations.
It could really be massive

Here is another thought. The year before the roof at Olympic is set to be put in.
Take the current roof off & have Olympic host the New years day Winter Classic.
Not the Hertiage cup. The Big one.
Two of the orginal 6 NHL teams.
Montreal & The New York Rangers playing each other on New Years day in Montreal.
WOW!!! Can you imagine that!
Prelim games that week.
Remparts vs Ottawa 67s two of the top draws in Major Junior Hockey & nearby.
Ahl Game between The Marlies & and Montreals Laaval Rockets.

Many of the rumours include the current owner coming north and “Montreal” ownership being a partnership of some sort … if not, the current public ownership group is expected to add BCE (Bell Canada Enterprises) to offset Rogers ownership of the Jays and the related TV/radio rights … if you know anything about Expos history, Brochu/MLB spent several years depressing interest in the team so that it could be sold (the only way Brochu could get the money from Charles Bronfman’s gift of 7% ownership) and moved (MLB’s goal).

Roof will likely be removed more than a year in advance as there will be additional construction before the new roof is installed … but still a good idea for whatever timeframe the roof is off.

Make it the Leafs or Bruins for the New Year’s game.
Think one of those two teams would be more interesting.

If thats the case this is bad news for Canadian football .

The Jays are the number one reason the Argos are irrelevant .

The huge money needed to fund a MLB team will exhaust the sponsorship required to keep this enterprise afloat during the CFL/MLS season especially in the Montreal area .

The ALs really came alive during the time the Expos starting falling and then leaving . It’s only due to incompetence that they still do not thrive and to a smaller effect the Impact .

The Big O can be torn down, just not with an implosion due to the subway system underneath the facility. It would have to be dismantled piece by piece, resulting in a demolition cost of $500 - $750 million. With such a prohibitive cost I guess various levels of leadership feel it would be more sensible to spend $250 million on the roof, and hopefully, another $250 million or so on various other renovations - new seats, revamp the concourses and concessions, upgrade the lighting, locker rooms, electrical and air duct system.

It’s a substantial amount of money for a facility without a regular tenant. Outside of the 3 - 5 matches for the World Cup, I suspect they will attempt to bid on two Grey Cups within short proximity of each other (3 - 5 years apart). Since it sounds like the roof will not be finished until 2024, expect a bid for that year’s game, followed by another bid between 2027 - 2029. We may see more stadium concerts there vs. Parc Drapeau once the renovations have happened alongside, a few games per season from the Impact, Als, and some motorcycle/monster truck shows. Perhaps an annual week long winter festival and some trade shows like BC Place has to extend the usefulness of the facility.

I like the idea of the bruins alot. As for the Leafs. I was thinking an orginal 6 With Montreal Hosting a U.S. team.
A Montreal vs Toronto game would lend itself more to the Heritage.