Sportsnet article belittles CFL salaries

For the life of me , I will never understand Rogers - they constantly attack the CFL , a Canadian Institution (free enterprise ) when they are a Canadian Company ( Rogers ) PROTECTED by Federal Laws from big bad American companies , and they (Rogers) want to bring in the NFL to kill the CFL.

I guess I just don't understand NewAge business practice.

Rogers....lol the @@@holes of Canada lol ....if you buy any of there products ...shame on you...you are not a true Canadian yup said it will stand by it...said before in past posts rogers costs Canadians jobs ....

fyi if you want to watch the nhl for free and never pay a cent to rogers it available with feeds from the internet from Europe....This I expect will become more and more pop in the future ....time for patriotic Canadians to wise up and just turn of Rogers ....just turn it of and not go to website....limit money from advertising just saying

Hmmm - Which network covers Canadian tennis stars year round including the Rogers Cup and Davis Cup and Federation Cup matches - (not just ESPN feed of the four majors)? Which network carries the CHL and CIS? Which network had at least a few Canadian team AHL games and did a great job at covering the outdoor game at Ivor Wynne Stadium a couple of years ago between the Marlies and Bulldogs? Which network at least hosts some of their Sportsdesk shows from Vancouver with more a western Canada focus than TSN which many in some parts of the country call the Toronto Sports Network? Which network just recently showed the wonderful documentary 'Home and Really Far Away' on a Nunavut hockey team? Which network at least primarily has Canadian based talking head shows all afternoon - even if you don't like them like Tim and Sid and Bob Mckown and Hockey Central while the other network has similar shows but also features daily ESPN shows that NEVER talk about anything Canadian?

Look - I agree Sportsnet does not give the CFL the amount of coverage it deserves - but that is the trend on sports network these days. They play-up and hype things that are their properties and spend less time on sports that they don't own rights to. Hockey fans in the USA have constantly trashed ESPN for their lack of NHL coverage ever since the NHL went exclusively with NBC and NBCSN down there. That's why I have always said I think the CFL blew it a bit going exclusively with TSN. I think one game a week they should have gone with Sportsnet - and immediately the you would have seen more CFL coverage there.

True , But TSN does not nationally and verbally Trash other Canadian sporting venues.

Who gives a rats rectum what Sportsnet thinks, it's a whole lot of sour grapes.
And to think which is sad, the President is Keith Pelley.
You would think he would tell his on air staff to at least respect the league if nothing else.

Well surprise surprise, Travelpat coming to the defense of Rogers Sportsnet. :roll: :roll: :roll:

TravelPatB wrote: That's why I have always said I think the CFL blew it a bit going exclusively with TSN
Did Sportsnet blow it by not giving any Blue Jays games to TSN? Personally I couldn't care less if Sportsnet covers zilch about the CFL or whatever, I don't watch Connected or whatever their news program is. They are totally irrelevant to me. Even if they carried a game here or there their coverage of the CFL wouldn't come near TSN so I still wouldn't watch it except for when a game is on. I just don't need Sportsnet.

Rogers Sportsnet is the minor league of Sports Broadcasting in this country. They have vastly inferior talent that they employ (with the odd exception) and they of course know this. They're doing everything in their power to belittle the CFL and of course TSN to make them feel a little bigger and maybe better about themselves.

Someone could just easily point out the massive failure and money losing venture that the Bills in Toronto series was and that should quiet them up a bit.

How any CFL fan could let Sportsnet off the hook on this is beyond me. Screw Rogers and Sportnset, they’ve done nothing but denigrate the CFL for years and I’ve had enough of it. “that’s the trend on sports network these days”. I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean. Get your head out of the sand dude.

Do you guys actually watch Sportsnet or read the on-line articles. “they constantly attack the CFL” ??? seriously, can you actually quote ONE article where Rogers attacks the CFL?? Then you bring up the usual patriotism/flag waving thing, that Rogers in not Canadian because they want to bring the NFL to Toronto…lol, very pathetic guys.
Just look at the Sportsnet link below, over 10 positive stories about the CFL. You guys complain because ONE writer does his job and expresses his opinion and points out the low salaries.
How many threads on here turn into the usual Rogers bashing?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/

With Godfrey , and the gang at Rogers (Phil) and their groups (Liewikie) here in Toronto since 1979 , their clear objective is to bring in the NFL and remove the CFL right out of Toronto - sorry CFLGAL , that is pathetic Canadiana!

The “Sportsnet Staff” pointing out in minute detail that the CFL is insignificant due to it’s “petty” salaries is not exactly a glowing recommendation of the league NFLGAL.
and why construct an infographic detailing how truly meager the entire CFL cap is compared to all other sports/stars?

To further denigrate and dismiss as a pro league in the minds of the public. That’s why.

Do you believe Sportsnet would publish articles such as this had Rogers held CFL broadcast rights?
of course not.

and for a Canadian company that lobby’s for (and receives) territorial and anti-trust protections in this country, it is with great hypocrisy for them to publicly disparage a 150 year old Canadian sports institution while pursuing membership in a foreign league that will create irreparable harm to the CFL.

Yes, and as well it is disrespect for the fine athletes that play in the CFL that their skills and efforts are not to respected due to the salaries. I guess Rogers should be sure to take off that channel from their offerings of channels that are showing the National Basketball League of Canada where the salaries are much lower than the CFL's. Has Rogers ever showed any pro sports on their channels where some of the athletes make less than what is earned in the CFL? Oh, I'm sure. They are a phoney two-faced sports network that isn't worthy of my time to watch their sports news.

And not to mention that by playing in the CFL, players skills are being demonstrated for those that might have NFL aspirations. Ask Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, Joe Theissman, Cameron Wake etc. what they think.

Please show your disrespect for Rogers where they can see it. CFL money demands add up to little

I've heard as many good discussions about things happening in Canadian sports including the CFL on Tim and Sid or Prime Time as I do on any TSN programs outside of their actual game coverage. More than once in the off season I've turned on the TV in the afternoon and caught interesting discussions related to CFL things from stadium discussions, free agent signings, the Argos/BMO/MLSE discussions on Sportsnet on either Tim and Sid or Prime Time - in the meantime what was on TSN and TSN2, darts, poker and a couple of ESPN shows that cover nothing but NCAA basketball and the NBA with the odd brief mention of the NHL. Never anything Canadian - Monday through Friday afternoon - every week of the year.

Believe me ever since I had to move to a home office to take care of my Mom and have the TV on in the background glancing up when any interesting discussion comes up I can tell you that every weekday afternoon if Canadian sports and Canadian teams are what you are interested you are much more likely to hear something of interest on Sportsnet than TSN every single weekday afternoon.

I'm not defending Rogers - I'm just telling you what I see and hear flipping back and forth between TSN and Sportsnet channels every single weekday afternoon.

Agree 100% TravelPatB … I share your experience & sentiments/opinion on the matter.

TravelPat,

I do agree with many of your observations. That said, what compels Rogers for instance to not list the CFL on their headers on their website? NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, UFC, World Cup, Cycling... The CFL is in the "MORE+" section listed after Junior Hockey, Sportsnet U and Soccer. This for the 2nd most most watched TV sports property in Canada. TSN doesn't bury the Jays like this even though they have no access to the Jays.

I agree Rogers has some on air talent with editorial pull who respect the CFL. Tim & Sid, McCown, Brunt etc. But whoever is in charge of the overall branding definitely has extreme malice towards the CFL.

It shows itself on the website, with articles such as the one highlighted in this thread, with the decision to pull the Argos championship banners and deny them a fair schedule at Rogers Centre and with the attempt to appropriate Toronto for the Bills and NFL.

The CFL hidden under the more plus option speaks volumes, remember ROGERS has lost all broadcast rights to the NLF as well, yet dont bury them. Some one who’s calling the shots ( Phil Lind, joke he has the order of Canada ) that has mandated this intentional malice towards the CFL.

Yup… Agreed

bang on. :thup: