Sportscentre or Sportsnet Connected?

Yes jay, Sportsnet can't just rely on a one team approach with the only Canadian baseball team the Jays to make them be "important". No chance MLB expands again to Canada, the Jays are out on their own and TSN has all 8 CFL teams, soon to be 9 plus all the NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL and other stuff Rogers does have as well but Sunday night NFL football is TSN and I think Monday night NFL is as well, correct?

Rogers needs to diversify much more than Bell Globe Media does, plus Bell Globe Media has more non sports media than Rogers. I have to think maybe Bell Globe Media could buy out Sportsnet at some point come to think of it. If they wanted to. And Rogers doesn't even need Sportsnet to make money, of course, they made it in the cable biz first and foremost and wireless. Sports is not even their main product at all, more just a branding thing.

They do show more then the Jays in terms of baseball plus with Mlb network coming soon that could give Rogers a boost there are many baseball fans in Canada and there not all Jays fans there are fans of many teams.If you look at the last few years Rogers as added things such as cycling/tennis/auto racing plus they have Nhl/Chl/Nba/Mls/Epl and your right about the Nfl my point is Sportsnet is not all that bad i think Sportsnet will be around for years to come i doubt they wills ee it.

No question Jay Sportsnet is not all that bad, they are good, but when you're talking cycling, that's a niche thingy here in NA, what you want is NFL football and right now I'm watching NFL playoffs on Bell Globe Media.

And now watching the 49'ers and Pack - on Bell Globe Media.

Very good point about TSN not slaging other sports and teams like the Jays during sportsdesk. Watching Rogers take cheap shot after cheap shot at the CFL becomes hard to watch and then hard to take Rogers as a non bias broadcaster

Agree flutie. Was reading on a Buffalo Bills forum from a Toronto Bills fan discussing the Toronto Bills games and the CFL, this guy mentioned that Rogers hates the CFL. I mean come on, if it's that widely known that Rogers hates the CFL then they really must think the CFL is some real threat to them in some odd way and makes them look small and about as non-classy of an outfit as you can get.

I’d really like to find out why it seems like Rogers hates the CFL. My only guess is that the CFL’s only tv contract is with TSN, which is owned by Bell.

Can’t see that as the reason since Sportsnet keeps saying they have no plans on bidding on the CFL TV contract when it’s up.

Maybe they see supporting the CFL as an admission that they will never get an NFL team for Toronto.

With still only 4 games a week it will be hard for the CFL to bring in another network. That is why at this time it is more important then ever for the CFL to add the elusive 10th team. The CFL should be blunt with Rogers and let them know that if they can help to get a 10th team up and running then that 5th game each week will be given to Rogers even if they show it on the score. With the CFL being more popular than ever in Canada a 10th team creating a 5th game a week would make the CFL that much more popular with direct revenue coming in that just a decade ago they never thought could be possible.
Kind of if you scratch my back I will scratch yours.
A good start would be for Rogers/MLSE take the Argos off the CFL hands so that Mr Brayley does not have to own both the Argos and Lions and the CFL will no longer have any worries about how stable the Argos will be as owning and running the Argos would barely be a blip financially for Rogers/MLSE and can promote the Argos right along with the Leafs, Toronto FC, the Jays, and the raptors. Right now you can only buy Argos merchandise 10 times a year at home games. The other for franchises adds another 200 games a year at which Argos merchandise could be on sale. A sign of good will as well as an image change for the better as almost every CFL fan is bitter with and dislikes Rogers.
The CFL can then assist a new franchise to get started.

Good read steve. Hard to believe that this weekend with 4 NFL playoff games Bell Globe Media had them all and Rogers zilch. Yikes, I though Rogers had more clout/resources than that. They have to be able to compete on that level but seems they just can't. :o

Rogers needs to do something major and soon or else they really will be apparently no. 2 to Bell Globe Media albeit it's getting more apparent as each day passes, obviously.

Another problem with Sportsnet is they don't have a national NHL contract - just regional - even on Sportsnet One.

I think it is a nice front for Rogers to seen as hating the CFL. The CFL was a non factor for TV before TSN took over drawing just less them 300K per game and not every game was televised Nationally. Then TSN took over on a sports network and was able to promote CFL games during other more watched sporting events. During this time Rogers tied their connection to pro football with the Bills for a series of games to be played in Toronto each year and while the CFL began to thrive the Bills series bombed. In a move to save face they began to bad mouth the CFL in Toronto on the Fan.
As i alread said they should just eat their crow and add the Argos to their stable of teams which includes 4 now that they have bought into MLSE.

Agree steve, Rogers thought the CFL would be extinct by now and Ralph Wilson passed on and the Bills easily in their hands with the Wilson family begging for someone like Rogers to take them off their hands, with people in southern Ontario willing to agree to pay skyrocket prices for the NFL in Toronto.

How wrong they assumed.

As I have written before in the Globe and Mail , Rogers board room elect persons are so far out of touch with street level paying public concerning our Canadian 3 down football game ( this is a Canadian Institution ), major Toronto newsprint constantly be little the CFL and anyone connected to the sport.
As one of the sports editors in one of our local rags publicly stated that the CFL in our city was irrelvant , well Mr. Sports Editor , you financially strapped newspaper is now looking irrelevant

Just my rant for today

Irrelevant there because the baseball nuts are scared poopless they hate seeing anything that might get some better ratings for games than the only MLB team in Canada and sooner than later realize that as Canadian football stadiums at both the pro and university level continue to develop, Canada's only significant "baseball" stadium in most people's minds, and I use that word lightly as the RC is hardly any great baseball stadium, continues to look more outdated with what is happening with baseball stadiums in the US.

You wrote such a, er, gem in the Globe and Mail? Care to point out when?

Are these Toronto sports writers anti-CFL? or is it a Toronto thing? The problems are with Toronto and the lack of interest in the Argos not the CFL in general.

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kolby-solinsky/can-toronto-host-an-nfl-t_b_1254124.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/kolby-soli ... 54124.html[/url] [url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/cfls-slumping-ratings-cause-for-concern/article2230487/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... le2230487/[/url]

Some people don't "get" what winning the national football championship of a country means with a trophy that has been around for oh, about a 100 years and how getting your name and team and city's name on such a trophy is very prestigious. Not much one can do with those sorts other than really wink. :wink:

This is very true. The one team that the now Rogers/MLSE that does not own is getting 700K a game watching on TV and are a champion of their league. Being stubborn is bad business. As everyone has heard me say it will cost the Rogers Comm/ Toronto Blue Jays and/or the Rogers/MLSE a mere fraction to add the Argos to their stable and get a champion and a team in a league that has that high TV audience for a fraction of there over all cost and give them a much better image than they are getting bad mouthing the Argos in particular. They need to wake up support and Buy the Argos. By not it is just bad busisness on their part right now from an image standpoint. The cost to run a CFL football team will be nothing to what they have gotten themselves into. In fact they may even turn profit they pay a marketing dept for the Blue Jays that can easily take on the argos as well. The own the stadium they play in. Travel cost for mote than half there games in Ottawa, Montreal, and Hamilton will not even involve air travel or hotel stays. They also add 200 sporting events on which to sell Argo merchandise that they control. Jays, Leafs, Raptors, FC home games. If the CFL can not have to worry about the Argos financial situation anymore the more likley that team ten will get in place. Then Rogers could possiblily get that 5th CFL game a week on one of their networks even if it is the Score.
UGH they hooked onto the wrong football league admit their mistake and just get on board with the Argos

Yes steve and what they also would do with owning the Argos is actually do something they might want to do, have some control over a Bell Globe Media product - the CFL on TSN. Meaning as part of the negotiations to buy the Argos, they could negotiate certain aspects of broadcasting Argo games or it might even extend to other agreements they have with other products. It really could be to their advantage in many ways.