Spergon Wynn-Very Impressive

Living in the Philadelphia area, I was only able to see the Hamilton @ Toronto game on a delayed broadcast, but I was very impressed by Spergon Wynn. After being pressed into service by Damon Allen's broken finger, Spergon Wynn played very well, and other than the one play when he locked onto his receiver and had his pass picked off by the Hamilton defensive back, he showed he can play in the CFL.
I know it's only one week, and I'm not going to go crazy, but he throws a nice ball (very tight spiral), made some real good decisions, and seemed to have a good feel for the game. He didn't do anything to hurt his team, and if he keeps this up for the six to eight weeks that Damon Allen is supposed to be out of the lineup, Toronto will be fine and could still be in the thick of things for the division lead.
This could be a real help to the Argos because they just may have found a solid backup quarterback who could develop into a good future starter in the CFL, especially when Damon Allen finally decides to stop playing.
One thing that really did help him alot on Saturday was that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats had no pass rush at all. It will be interesting to see what Spergon Wynn does when he faces a team with a good pass rush, and how he gets rid of the ball quickly and with some accuracy to his receivers.
Overall, a good first game for him, i hope he continues to progress and learn so he can eventually become a solid future CFL starting quarterback.

The real test will come in Week 3 on Canada Day when the Argos face the Lions at B.C. Place. Although, next week will have an interesting dynamic when Wynn returns to Winnipeg to face the Bombers.

Mongo 118 I agree with you, when Spergon Wynn and the Argos go on the road and play the tougher teams in the league, he may have a really rough time. Next week however, he has built in motivation in that he used to play for the Blue Bombers, and another solid performance will only build his confidence. All I'm saying is it's nice to see a player starting to develop right before your eyes. But with young quarterbacks, they can frustrate you by taking several steps back, just when you think they are ready to start growing and maturing. We'll just have to wait and see, but it was an impressive first step.

Yes, he went into game totally w/o warning and fared pretty well.

But situation with him and other backup or wannabee number one QBs in League in past few years, is whether they really have tools to be consistent and get job done as a starter. That eluded Michael Bishop, Marcus Brady, to a degree, Crandell, Greene and others.

Nothing personal against Spergon, but I’m betting he doesn’t make it. He had his moments with BC too but now he is gone – and Wally Buono is no fool. He never saw the field In Winnipeg, and they had a QB crisis at the time (actually, all the time, kind of like Saskatchewan). There is something else going on here.

Living in the Philadelphia area, I was only able to see the Hamilton @ Toronto game on a delayed broadcast, but I was very impressed by Spergon Wynn. After being pressed into service by Damon Allen's broken finger, Spergon Wynn played very well, and other than the one play when he locked onto his receiver and had his pass picked off by the Hamilton defensive back, he showed he can play in the CFL. I know it's only one week, and I'm not going to go crazy, but he throws a nice ball (very tight spiral), made some real good decisions, and seemed to have a good feel for the game. He didn't do anything to hurt his team, and if he keeps this up for the six to eight weeks that Damon Allen is supposed to be out of the lineup, Toronto will be fine and could still be in the thick of things for the division lead. This could be a real help to the Argos because they just may have found a solid backup quarterback who could develop into a good future starter in the CFL, especially when Damon Allen finally decides to stop playing. One thing that really did help him alot on Saturday was that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats had no pass rush at all. It will be interesting to see what Spergon Wynn does when he faces a team with a good pass rush, and how he gets rid of the ball quickly and with some accuracy to his receivers. Overall, a good first game for him, i hope he continues to progress and learn so he can eventually become a solid future CFL starting quarterback.
I Totally agree with ya. Except I live in Montreal ;) He looked great out there and I think the Argos just found Allen replacement. And Winnipeg was stupid to let him go.

With Spurgeon Wynn at QB, the Bombers will get slobberknockered this week.

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Bender/2006/06/19/1640950-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Be ... 0-sun.html[/url]

The irony is simply delicious.

Spergon Wynn, the fourth-string quarterback the Winnipeg Blue Bombers sent packing last winter, led the Toronto Argonauts to victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in a relief role for the injured Damon Allen in a CFL match Saturday.

Not only that but Wynn completed 18 of 28 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns, with one interception.

Winnipeg's incumbent QB Kevin Glenn completed 15 of 26 tosses, with no TDs and two picks, in a losing cause to Montreal on the weekend.

Guess who's coming to dinner this Friday?

"I know people are going to say, 'Why'd you get rid of him?'" Bombers GM Brendan Taman correctly predicted yesterday. "And if he beats us Friday, it makes us look that much worse. But I'm not concerned with people's evaluation of the trade."

Seems to us, though, the Bombers would have been better off to keep Wynn around as Winnipeg's current backups have minimal CFL experience while Wynn started some games in B.C. before Taman acquired him.

CRUMBY DEAL

Taman sent Wynn to Toronto for non-import safety Mike Crumb -- who retired instead of reporting -- and a second-round draft pick that went back to Toronto to allow the Bombers to select Canadian offensive lineman Val St. Germain in the Ottawa Renegades dispersal draft. But Taman was not about to second-guess himself.

"I'm not going to force guys into situations where they're not comfortable being and we're not comfortable with," he said.

(The Kyries Hebert situation, then, must be a completely different story.)

"(Wynn) missed half the year because of his knee (injury) and ended up being behind Kevin, Tee (Martin) and Russ (Michna) and he wasn't enamoured with coming back to the same situation," Taman explained. "So, I said I would try to move him.

"He needed a change and got one."

But since Martin didn't report and Michna was cut, chances are Wynn would have been at least No. 2 by now -- that is, if he performed like he did Saturday.

"Spergon played really well," Taman said. "He really struggled in the two exhibition games but (Argos offensive co-ordinator) Kent (Austin) did a good job of getting him ready and I'm really happy for him. I just hope that he doesn't play that well here."

Before he got hurt in Winnipeg last year, Wynn had shown little grasp of the Bomber offence and did not display the type of talent that motivated Taman to send a first-round draft pick to the Leos to get him. And that was after Wynn had lost his backup job to some guy named Casey Printers.

On the other hand, the Bombers were so high on Tee Martin that they give him every chance to prove himself last season, only he proved to be a bust.

"After 18 games, we'll see how we come out on our quarterback end and we'll see how they (Argos) do on their quarterback end," Taman said. "You know, I got the same kind of (negative) reviews after I got (quarterback) Khari Jones from B.C."

That proved to be one of the best deals he made here. But this trade has yet to be completed. Because Crumb retired, the Argos owe Winnipeg compensation, Taman confirmed.

"That's still to be determined but I'm not worried about that right now," he said.

Nor is he worried about Glenn.

"He'll be fine," Taman assured. "That whole outcome in Montreal was not due to Kevin Glenn alone but those who surrounded him, like the offensive line, too. Even the coaches took some of the blame, and those things will be corrected."

If not, there will be a lot more QB questions coming.

No surprise Wynn played well. He is just unlucky not to have much playing time in the CFL. Wynn started his CFL career with BC and fans knew how good he really is. But the BC quarterback factory couldn't keep everyone.

We saw Wynn play in BC, But with both DD and Printers ahead of him he had to be let go.

We told the Winnipeg posters that Wynn was good.....But.... as history has shown, they were more excited in Tee Martin...(is he still in the league?)

Sporty it comes down to one man again. How many times have you I said this Taman is not a good GM.

If Allen retries after this season, Wynn will be the starter for TO in 2007, IMO, if he keeps it up.

just to set the record straight, Wynn played like crap in the 2 preseason games for the bombers, so much like crap he couldnt beat out the guys who are no longer in bomber uniforms.....the bombers got crumb and Val St G for Wynn, since Crumb retired, the bombers get good old futures....so as of yet we dont know how that will be.....Wynn has had one good performance in the last 2 years.......I wouldnt be getting too excited just yet over him...

Well, he did win a QB challenge :o :thup: :rockin:

I am just wondering why in the Winnipeg press it is saying Taman was required to defend his decision on trading him for nothing. Ha ha ha

BC fans pretty much knew Wynn was a good QB and was never really given a chance but still looked good in his limited action. I said it last year that teh Bombers should have given him a chance but decided to play Glenn, Martin and Michna ahead of him. Hope he does well for the Argos.

Because the press...does not run the Bombers..Hahahahahaha...haaa, trades are made..yes red05 I would of liked seeing him, show his stuff in Bomber digs...thats life, we'll be knocking him into the turf...when the boatmen come to town..Go Bombers..

Wynn did play great - their wasn't much pass rush and he took advantage of it by cooly throwing pin point passes. Of course there have been many CFL QB's who have come in relief and played outstanding only to falter later on. Maybe the Argos are a good fit for him. We'll see.

I was very impressed with Wynn without a doubt and maybe, just maybe, this actaully makes the Argos a better team. Damn it!

:cry:

Yeah Wynn played well. I think he can repeat this week. The only thing he has to worry about is his knees :stuck_out_tongue: