Spending cap coming for Football Operations expenditures

Again…evolve or die. It is the way of the world and an expression for a reason. What they did 50 years ago means little and is a sad sack way of looking at it. Don’t be that guy who lives decades on the past and felt it wasn’t broke so don’t fix it… because 2 to 3 decades ago this league was dangerously close to not existing

As said before… the rosters used to be half as big and no replay in black and white was fine and player played both ways…it worked to but changed. It sounds like you want this to be the Canadian Junior Football League with a professional sticker on it…guess what…if you want to sell the league it needs these types of things because it creates a better product. Saying otherwise is just playing silly bugger… …or are you actually trying to sell that less is more in the world of professional competition and that a lower level of coaching is better or even just as good?

"Not, I wish I had fewer tools to prepaid for the game, and less game like practice, as I feel it would really polish things up "

Seems legit

Understand a coaches cap in terms of it relating to the players cap .It needs to have a sliding scale .

It creates an equity and a buy in for the players .

It also needs to be a rational like the roster that any new positions required in coaching admin and higher end positions that skew the cap need to be removed in order for the average to be increased as that higher end salary does not give a true salary average for either party . That any new positions required in the interest of the league need to be added in the new collective and are not automatically included to any cap without bargaining for an increase .

I don't believe mini camps , scouting should or need to be policed or ever should be .

This prerogative to find the best talent and be better prepared should NEVER be discouraged with any attempt to curb expenses as this is a necessary evil that should be encouraged and not discouraged at the pro level . Why make this a nanny protective playground ? This always should be a dog eat dog it creates a competitive hunger that can save a teams season and allow the fan to see a quality replacements with football being a VERY high turnover and injury laden sport .

I do believe that the commish has plans to increase revenue and this should be his primary concern but I do understand coaches expense should be at a equal level thru the league and should be similar in scope with the players but the head coach and the QB or face of the team should have a separate cap on a sliding scale that increases thru the term of the collective .

My two cents .

These are businesses with 15 to 20 million dollars in revenues, basically small to medium size businesses and that will not change,paying multiple “managers” 500 and 600k is not feasible. That is REALITY. Braley has been trying to sell his team for two or three years and he can’t get anything of value for his investment. Why? Because there is no money in owning a CFL team. Bob Young has done everything right and he can’t turn a profit worth mentioning.

Having staffs half the size and as expensive as the on-field talent makes NO SENSE.

When I read things like the owners did this without consulting the public I’m the one who thinks people are playing silly bugger. Why would the league and owners consult the public about managing their private businesses?

I’m glad the league did this, it was long overdue and it will help stabilize the league, attract owners and make expansion projects at least worth discussing.

As for the quality of play, it won’t change much because the athletes are the ones performing and most of them would likely tell you they want less coaching and more freedom.

I agree with some of your staff expenses HFX but maybe Braley or Young already realize that to own a football team with such huge rosters that necessitate a large turnover expense also require a competent number of scouts that find those necessary replacements and they should be free to invest whatever they want in keeping their fans happy with quality replacements .

Being a fan in Ottawa there were no and I mean no replacements due to ownership in prior years with RR or renegades and you saw the result . It was not a pro team and the fan no longer bought into the quality of play . End result the team was gone .

Somethings require a protective balance and other items should have an incentive to spend wisely without a ceiling . Not everything should require approval by the league .

These owners are usually business acumen adults who own teams not children .

IMO, in order to increase the players salary cap, they had to cut/cap spending elsewhere - coaches.

It didn’t make much sense to cap players salaries then spend like drunken sailors on coaches. The hypocrisy clearly was noticed by the PA.

This sets the table for an increase to the salary cap as well as a goodwill gesture to the players by removing the hypocrisy of capping their salaries but not coaches.

More pay to players may or may not increase the quality of players and thus, improve the on-field quality despite having less coaches.

I tend to agree with drummer on this.

Clearly it is not “REALITY” because they are paying that and not folding…and they have been paying top end GMs and HCs that for the better part of 20 years…The lower end of the scale has come up, but the upper really has not moved a bunch in years.

Braley wanted 40 million…pulled his team off the market. From what I have heard, the real reason is he wants a chunk of the expansion fee as he feels that is going to go down.

“NO SENSE.” You seem to be in the vast minority on this one.

No…they shouldn’t have to consult public on this…at all. It still doesn’t mean it is a super solution. I don’t love this move, but I do get it and understand intent.

“As for the quality of play, it won’t change much because the athletes are the ones performing and most of them would likely tell you they want less coaching and more freedom.”

It is not possible for me to disagree with you more on this statement. [EDIT: No need for personal attacks]

Wow! This issue is revealing a deep fissure that exists within the league.This might
be a good time to reflect upon the fact that all 9 teams have over the course of the
last 60 years been guilty of being advantageous/stingy to varying degrees.If your
bias runs so deep that you cannot recognize this then you cannot be reasoned with.
The league is where it is now because of those actions.

I don’t think so. Unless some money fall from the sky, player payroll will be about the same, might also be reduced.

Now that your GM says it is the right thing to do, you can let it go :slight_smile:

Perhaps your thing is towing someone else’s line and letting them form your opinion…my stance has not chaged.

And yes…i understand that was supposed to be funny, but it had ample backhand in it.

No backhand whatsoever. These discussions are always for fun. Back to the topic. Football is a business, many fans forget that. The most profitable teams in the league are making just enough when you consider their rent is subsidized. (Community owned teams). The privately own teams don’t make near enough to be stable, desirable businesses.

From todays Pentons The Insiders Say:

• Definitely there are coaches concerned about this coaches (salary) cap. Really, it’s like the (Colin) Kaepernick collusion. The commissioner and owners just decide to throw out a cap without doing the due diligence of true research on how it will affect the league going forward. Support staff are being hit harder than coaches will be. (Randy) Ambrosie has never once talked to a group of coaches about anything. Coaches will leave the league, and the quality of play will suffer. Young Canadian coaches will be hurt by the capping of the number of coaches on staff, so they will not be able to get quality control jobs and grow into position coaches. Someone should ask Ambrosie if he and his staff are going to match the 10 percent pay cut (Chris) Jones and the Riders took? Do some teams have too large of staffs? Yes, but work together to find a compromise with coaches and operations. This guy just is something else. Instead of trying to drum up football in Mexico, promote our players and game more here.

• How f’d up is this coaching (salary) cap? Two of my best young coaches told me they’re going to try to get coaching jobs in the United States. If they do, I don’t think they’ll ever come back up here. What can I tell them? We all know the commissioner doesn’t give a s*** about us.

How f'd up is this coaching (salary) cap? Two of my best young coaches told me they’re going to try to get coaching jobs in the United States. If they do, I don’t think they’ll ever come back up here. What can I tell them? We all know the commissioner doesn’t give a s*** about us.

Huh! Take a pay cut and put some of it in your staff, distribute the wealth in a fairer manner.

LMAO

As for the development positions, those use to be unpaid positions, that's how Maciocia broke into the league, if they are good they will parlay that into coaching careers. And in this case if they are not good they can even turn that into a GM and HC position. Crying a river...

We can all thank the Saskatchewan roughriders for this. Unfair salary paid to Chris Jones and the money they pay scouts, forced the league to do this.

Some teams did spend too much, without major results; this being said, I did not and still not agree with this major reductions in staff and numbers. Did the Owners and Presidents wanted to send a message to the players regarding their future demands? I don't know,but it's possible.

Will become more and more difficult to hire competent personnel and teams will be more and more reluctant to sign a Head Coach or GM and even coordinators to long term deals.

I agree that Randy Ambrosie should focus less on Mexico and review this spending cap- could add roughly $300,000 and up to 2 more employees- along with the forbidding of bonuses to potential free agents, until a new collective agreement is signed.

Unfortunately, I doubt that there will be changes.

Richard

Agreed. Competition will raise all boats and with it the level of play in the league as each team looks for that edge that will take them to the top. Discouraging such practice will take us back to the dark ages when finding players was left up to the local connections the team’s coaching staff may have had through previous jobs or where they had roots in the U.S.

No thanks.

Your all good for a player cap but not for management LMAO
Ambrosie didn’t go far enough. They should have put a ceiling on HC and GM compensation.
No HC should be making 600k while the best QB’s in the league are getting hit in the head repeatedly for half that.

Waste of money and the optics are bad. You tell players you can’t pay them better but the rest of expenses goes unchecked?

Absolutely not. You definitely can’t reduce one but leave the other untouched. Raise the salary cap for players, and provide a reasonable one for management.

Right now, we have neither. After this policy, we will only have depleted management teams to go along with under paid players. Not exactly a good recipe for the league moving forward.