Speedy takes a paycut

Obrigado - I'm not sure that I agree that the position Banks plays should be the determining factor in his money value to the team. In general, one doesn't want to overpay for any position but when you have a players like Speedy who has played very well for most of his Ticat career, shortening the field, scoring return TDs etc. ( certainly occurred more in 2015 than last year) I don't think you want to limit him to XX dollars - within reason of course. If the coaches/GM feel his contribution is valuable to the team then I don't have a problem with him being paid more than what might be considered normal "market value" provided that it fits well within the SMS i.e. doesn't hurt the team at other positions. The expectation of course would be that he continues to produce at a high level that justifies the salary.
Having a set "pay scale"- if you will - for various positions doesn't allow management to reward players for the value of their contributions.

Nothing wrong with us disagreeing on this point - that's why there's a forum for discussion. :slight_smile:

All good points there is exceptions to every rule salary caps make it all more difficult to navigate

And let's not forget about his contributions on offense. His speed and elusiveness has proven most valuable.

I am underwhelmed by his contributions on offence to be honest. Speedy has avg just under 300 yards receiving the past 2 seasons and under 60 yards rushing. Pretty pedestrian like numbers. It is the return game where Speedy adds his value.

I found the discussion with respect to Brandon's perceived "drop off" in productivity from 2015 to 2016 to be interesting so I looked into it.

If we add up all his "touches"; punt/kick-off/missed FG returns and receptions we get the following on a per game basis:

2015 = 8 touches per game for a 13.79 yards per touch for 110.33 yards per game. A TD occurred on average roughly every 4th game. (5 total TD's in returns & receiving)

2016 = 9.44 touches per game for 16.28 yards per touch for 153.63 yards per game. A TD occurred on average roughly every 2nd game. (7 total TD's in returns & receiving)

So Brandon had an 18% increase in yards per touch from 2015 to 2016. Also an 18% increase in touches per game. He produced 39% more yards per game. And finally had a 33% increase in TD's per touch.

I found this interesting with what appears to be the majorities conclusion both here as well as on other sites, that Brandon's productivity had dropped off from 2015 to 2016.

Over the past few seasons, Kent has had to be judicious in using Banks between offense and special teams, so not to wear him out.

That may account for his stats in that area not being so illuminating. But, he seems to come up with big plays when there.

And he did that with other team’s defenses being more aware, and last season with Chad Owens in the same huddle.

Furthermore ...

The mention of Chad Owens in this thread, not in a comparative manner to be clear, got me thinking of a comparison.

During CO2's record breaking season of 2012, he had a total of 252 touches for 3863 yards. On a yards per touch basis, that equals 15.33 yards per touch. If you recall, Brandon's last season was 16.28. That's over 6% more production in yards per touch. But the REAL difference is in TD/Touch. Chad's was 6 TD's over 252 touches or one every .024. Brandon's was 7 TD's over 151 touches or one every .046. That's 94.7% more TD's per touch.

I found that interesting.

With now knowing Speedy's very good stats provided by FG69
Speedy's paycut would be more based on off field issues than on field issues

And as Josh Smith pointed out in a recent article, injuries to Zach Collaros over the past couple of seasons hasn't helped....

Stats are tricky little numbers.
yes his yards per touches were up in 2016
BUT
BB had 14 less punt returns in 2016 than in 2015
AND
10 more kickoff returns in 2016 than in 2015

When he avg 9.6 per punt return
22.6 per kickoff return
the yards per touch is not very relevant.

Stats are tricky little numbers.
yes his yards per touches were up in 2016
BUT
BB had 14 less punt returns in 2016 than in 2015
AND
10 more kickoff returns in 2016 than in 2015

When he avg 9.6 per punt return
22.6 per kickoff return
the yards per touch is not very relevant.

And i am not a Banks basher. I am glad he is a Cat and we don't have to face him but i think the pay-cut was more about his on-field than off field.