Speedy Banks tests positive

When is the last time our team has had a positive test before this?

I stated in a previous post that they over paid for him .l was attacked for my comments. Now everyone is all over him for one mistake.give him a break!

The league has only had an official drug policy for a few years, and prior to this year the policy was not to disclose positive results to the public or suspend players for a first offense.

We drafted a player in the last year or two who had a positive test in CIS, but apart from that, there was no disclosure of positive tests prior to this year.

In short, this is the first disclosed positive result, and the public hasn’t been informed of any positive results from prior years.

Abuse of steroids became widespread in football starting in the 1970s, and it would be naive to believe that the CFL and the Ticats were not affected. The fact that the CFL didn’t have ANY drug policy until 2010 means that any player who wanted to use peformance enhancing drugs prior to 2010 could have done so with impunity. I’m sure we can all think of many players we suspect were abusing steroids or HGH, though without evidence, naming players could open the door to lawsuits.

It's very disappointing hearing Brandon Banks was caught testing positive to drugs in the CFL but many football players and high ranking athletes and Olympians have been caught so why would Brandon or any other athlete be any different?

It happens, it's apart of our society, to throw it under the carpet and say it doesn't exist in everyday life is just living in a dream world other than reality.

Drugs are used and just about every kind, when you consider that some off the shelf allergy or pain medicines have just the right mix to put you over the edge in testing, never mind Steroids or other more harmful drugs it's no wonder why many get caught or in non testing cases sometimes don't.

The big part of doing drugs is first recognizing the fact that your being harmful to yourself, your health and than the effects that has on your family, friends, job, team mates and so on.

It's a mistake in life and it's important as fans that we recognize what Banks has done and that he came out and apologized and made a mistake.

When Brandon gets back to playing football from his 2 game suspension we could all show him some true Tiger-Cat fan support and forgiveness.

GO CATS GO!!!

Banks made a mistake. We have all made dumb choices. He will be back, extra motivated.

When it comes to football, this team hasn’t tested positive all season.

Former Ticat longsnapper Matt Robishad (spelling?), back in 08 or 09, was busted at the US border with a crapload of steroids in his car. Not sure if he was ever tested.

Well said! I agree. :thup: :thup:

When you mentioned off the shelf medications it reminded me of rower Silken Lauman who had her Olympic medal stripped several years ago (2008 maybe?) because of a positive test and the “guilty” drug was a cold medication!

That being said, Banks knew what he was taking and should have made a smarter decision but as “of course” commented - we’ve probably all made dumb choices or mistakes or done things that we later regretted in our younger days - for those of us who have lived a few decades! :smiley:

Everyone deserves a second chance and Austin is willing to do that for Speedy B but he’ll have to learn from this mistake. Here’s hoping that this embarrassment to Brandon makes him realize that taking ANY drug is just not worth the temporary pleasure that it may bring.

That wasn’t Robichaud who was busted , it was another longsnapper, Jordan Matechuk who was busted on his way to Training camp in 2011 and was immediately released by the team after the incident.

[url=http://www.yorktonnews.com/sports/local-sports/jordan-matechuk-s-cfl-story-reaches-happy-return-1.1645821]http://www.yorktonnews.com/sports/local ... -1.1645821[/url]

Well isnt this fucking lovely. Smh

I guess the long snappers blend together in my mind. I’m pretty sure that Crawford, the current snapper, replaced Matechuk, no?

Send his ass packing.

I’m not ready to cut him some slack yet, I am PO’ed over it. the timing, the selfishness, the stupidity.
I will get over it, but right now I hope that Kendial Lawrence has the games of his life for the next 2 weeks.

At least we know why he is called "speedy"!!

:rockin:

WTF is wrong with you people. The man made a mistake, he apologized. He is not the only one playing poorly. Maybe point a finger at the crappy blockers he's trying to work with.

He should get another chance. For all we know, he really didn't know a recreation drug would get him trouble like this. Maybe it was the performance enhancing one. Was it smart, no, should have he have known what was on the list, yeah. But hey, who hasn't done something at a party or elsewhere that they've regretted. I'm sure he'll smarten up after this.

His crappy blockers drove him to drug use?.. Lol jk

Hope Brandon is getting help with his drug problem.
Everyone deserves a second chance for sure ,I think Brandon you have had a few so I hope you are dealing with this.
So many people in the world on drugs!

No it wasn’t Crawford it was Kevin Scott who was our LS who replaced Matechuk. Scott was here for a few years (11-13)before signing on with his hometown expansion Ottawa REDBLACKS as a FA for the 2014 season. Crawford replaced him and has been here ever since but he also was on the team in “13” but only dressed for 4 games that season. That’s probably where the confusion is when it comes to our recent history of guys who snap long. :slight_smile:

Speaking of Kendial Lawrence

Has anybody else wondered how ironic and convenient it was that Austin just happened to sign him 2 week ago ? I mean if as Banks said and admitted that he knew two weeks ago about his fate and getting suspended then it would also stand to reason that Austin knew as well two weeks ago about the pending 2 gm loss of Banks to a suspension when he signed Kendall Lawrence as a ready made replacement for the team in Bank’s absence. It all makes sense now as at the time I couldn’t quite figure out why we would’ve signed Lawrence in the first place when we already had Banks and weren’t really in need of another kick returner but were in need at other positions on the team due to injuries.

Anyway’s I agree with Grover on this one, I am at present also PO’ed at Banks for all the same reasons as mentioned above…BUT I will in time get over it , but honestly at this time I’m just shaking my head at how unbelievably STUPID Speedy could’ve been to think he wouldn’t have eventually been caught with a random drug test and it makes me wonder just how many times before this one did he dodge the bullet by not being tested.