Speedy B now 4th in Tiger-Cats career TDs *UPDATE*

Hello my old friends. Who’s having fun in 2019? ??

UPDATE STATS 08/13

Current Top 9
Earl Winfield - 87
Garney Henley - 56
Tommy Grant - 54
Brandon Banks - 52
Dave Fleming - 50
Ronald Williams - 46
Gerry McDougall - 45
Rocky Dipietro - 45
Archie Amerson - 45

Brandon Banks TD Breakdown
34/receiving
7/punt return
5/rushing
5/missed FG return
1/kickoff return

ORGINAL POST 06/29

After another stellar performance last night, Banks is now all alone in fifth place on the Tiger-Cats all-time touchdown list. He currently sits at 47, and God willing he will likely end up second all-time behind Earl the Pearl.

Unbelievable achievement for a true Hamilton legend. This season he already passed Archie Amerson, Rocky Dipietro, Gerry McDougall and Ronald Williams.

Amerson will always be my childhood hero, but Banks easily slots into second on my personal all-time favourite list. We’ve been lucky to watch him play his entire career in black and gold, let’s hope he gets the big one before he hangs them up. Sadly Earl never got that chance, and even sadder I never got a chance to watch him live. How do you rank the three? Moreso wondering how people compare AA and Speedy since the Pearl should be tops on everyone’s list who got to see him play.

Bonus fact: After returning his fourth career FG against the Blows, Banks is currently tied with Earl Winfield for all-time return TDs with 12 … Idk when he’s going to pass him with the reduced role, but you just gotta believe he’s gunna capitalize eventually. UPDATE MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Edit 2nd bonus fact: Speedy is also 2nd behind Winfield in all-time yards with 11,443. That puts him just 3335 yards off first place, not sure if he’ll get there but this one is more realistic than the all-time touchdown record.

Let the good times roll eat em raw ?

That’s only about 3 seasons worth of receiving yards and even less time if he gets more All-Purpose yards. He will probably break Earl’s record in 2021 if he can stay healthy.

That’s true.

I think most impressive is how quickly he’s caught up. He’s only been in the league for 6 seasons counting 2019, plus four or five games in his 1st season. Also, he was only used as a kick returner for the first few years & he’ll likely catch up to Winfield after 8 yrs in the league. That’s impressive.

Winfield, Dipietro & Amerson are some of my favourite players over the years. I have a mini football signed by Amerson (among others) that I got at one of the gatherings they used to have at Gage Park after training camp.

Trivia. Banks and Winfield each have “only” one KR touchdown. Winfield, with far fewer opportunities, never a missed FG touchdown.

As Winfield was the primary receiver for most of his career Banks won’t match his rec TDs or yardage…

But as far as overall impact, imo, they are mirror images of one another .

I’m glad we managed to hold onto Banks every time he was to be a free agent (I don’t think he ever made it to free agency, I think we always re-signed him prior to it). It would be very strange to see him in any other colour than black n’ gold.

I’m also grateful that Jones pushed him into the forefront of our offense. I always though Austin underutilized him. I think we all did, except for Austin.

We’ve kept a really solid core of guys for the past 5 years. Banks, Tasker, Lawrence, Laurent, Masoli… These are all great players we’ve managed to hold onto. Now we’re developing new guys to fill in the spots around them, instead of relying on other teams scraps. The guys we did pick up have all been huge contributors so far…D Wynn, Van Zeyl, Adeleke and Murray (welcome back!). The only question mark is Tuggle, since I’ve seen him beat a few times this year, and I still miss Dean.

Back to the topic of Brandon, it’s also been cute seeing his son on the sidelines in his Lil Speedy jersey. He seems to really get on well with the team, always talking and dancing with the other players. Despite what some may say about Banks not being a team player, I think this shows that he (and his son) do enjoy being a part of this team, and I expect he’ll spend his whole career here.

Austin: The lone obstacle in making Banks an every day receiver that everybody demanded.

The myth that refuses to die.

Truth is, Austin tried desperately to inject Speedy into the receiver roll but he kept dropping the ball.

Truth is Austin used Banks on returns and less than handful of packages. Everybody was fine with it. EVERYBODY.

The notion that everybody was clamouring for Austin to turn Banks into every down receiver and he stubbornly refused is 100% bollocks.

With great respect for Earl and all the other outstanding TiCats on that TD list,

Garney Henley will always be #1 on my list, considering he played as a DB for most of his career and both Offence and Defence as DB and WR in his early years

When he retired in 1975 he was 40 yrs old and still playing at an elite level

Henley’s career spanned 16 years from 1960 to 1975, all wearing the black and gold of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. If you were making up an all-time CFL team, you would be hard pressed to leave Garney Henley off the team. His career started in an age where players routinely played offense and defense and Garney played both defensive back and wide receiver with a bit of running back thrown in (50 carries in 1962). By the mid-sixties, with increased roster sizes, teams had settled into having well defined and separate offensive and defensive units, and Henley played mainly defensive back. As a defensive back, Henley was named an Eastern All-Star and All Canadian for an incredible eight straight years from 1963 to 1971. Henley was consistently among the interception leaders, with his best year being 1970 when he picked off 10 opposition passes. At the same time, Henley was often used as a punt returner and twice led the East in punt returns. In 1972, with the team needing help at wide receiver, Henley was switched back to offense where he won All-Eastern and All Canadian honours. Career wrapping up? While he didn’t earn All-Star honours for them, Henley’s best years offensively came in 73 and 74 when he caught 40 and 41 passes respectively. In fact, in 1973, Henley was the team receiving leader, beating out another Hamilton legend, Tony Gabriel. Not bad for an old guy. It seems fitting that in Henley’s final year in footbal in 1975 that he split his time between offense and defense, catching 21 passes and making 4 interceptions. Henley was named the outstanding player in the East in 1963 and again in 1972, also capturing the CFL’s Outstanding Player award for 1972. Henley was elected to the CFL Hall of Fame in 1979.

https://www.cflapedia.com/Players/h/henley_garney.htm

I recall thinking many times in the late-Austin era that the “packages” Banks was used on were a little odd, as they mostly involved short routes where he’d get tackled quickly rather than deep routes that took advantage of his speed. But I probably wasn’t clamouring for more. He dropped a lot of balls in those days.

I probably saw more “clamouring” on the board in 2016-17 (pre-JJ) to bring back Bakari Grant than I saw to use Banks more as a receiver.

And I’m pretty sure I saw more criticism of Banks than praise.

I don’t know anyone who has ever called Ronald Williams Ronnie. Ron perhaps, but never Ronnie. :wink:

His mom?

Lmao I have no idea why my mind has him memorialized as Ronnie Williams but that’s what I’ve always called him… I was five years old when we last won so I didn’t really get to watch him play only memories from watching the 99 Grey Cup 1000x

Maybe one of the commentators called him that during the broadcast? Guess I’ve gotta go sit down for viewing 1001 :v:?

Just kidding I’m gunna take your word for it, and likely continue to call him Ronnie since I’ve never known any other way

My other question I wanted to ask, does Speedy B get on the wall of fame? What about CFL Hall of Fame? I’ve thought for a long time he should be on the wall of fame, but now HOF may he attainable if he ends his career with a couple more 1000 yard seasons plus 20-25 TDs. Sounds crazy but anything is possible with Banks. He’s only 3443 yards off Allen Pitts for fifth in all-time yards from scrimmage, 3765 yards off Milt for fourth, and 5103 yards off Geroy for third. No idea where Earl sits but he’s close to the top five for sure.

It’s a damn shame he doesn’t go down in history as the man who won the Cats a Grey Cup on a last minute punt return … Taylor Reed ?

Sorry, bad memories let’s remember we are 3-0!

My other question I wanted to ask, does Speedy B get on the wall of fame? What about CFL Hall of Fame? I've thought for a long time he should be on the wall of fame, but now HOF may he attainable if he ends his career with a couple more 1000 yard seasons plus 20-25 TDs. Sounds crazy but anything is possible with Banks. He's only 3443 yards off Allen Pitts for fifth in all-time yards from scrimmage, 3765 yards off Milt for fourth, and 5103 yards off Geroy for third. No idea where Earl sits but he's close to the top five for sure.

It’s a damn shame he doesn’t go down in history as the man who won the Cats a Grey Cup on a last minute punt return … Taylor Reed ?

Sorry, bad memories let’s remember we are 3-0!

I think Speedy B has done enough to warrant the Wall of Fame. If he continues for 2 or 3 more years (and especially wins at least one Cup) at the same rate he is going that would be a CFHoF career.

I have an “away” autographed #16 jersey. He is a phenomenal talent. When he signed it I asked him if he was called Speedy at home. He said no, his mom always calls him Brandon. “I don’t become Speedy until I get to Canada”. I told him that is a great thing. 8)

I sometimes wonder how much a player’s ability to catch depends on who’s throwing to him. Could it be that Banks just had difficulty catching passes from Collaros due to his throwing style (spin rate, trajectory, speed, accuracy, whatever), but has no problem catching Masoli’s throws?

In this specific case I’d chalk it up to the following…

• banks had limited reps at WR.
  • culture on the team was at an all time low, and BB is a very emotional person.

However Dork is right, people slag Austin for not using him properly but nobody saw this coming. June jones had nothing to lose and only this roster to work with, and it paid off big time.

But the narrative seems to to down like we had a star being held back by the tyrant head coach. I even recall theories that KA held him back, so we could lose more games and he would have the leverage in negotiations.

Yep. That was said around here.

Dunnigan agreed with Austin’s limited use of Banks as his small frame wouldn’t take the punishment if used more…

Again, not a peep of protest out of anybody…fans…Edwards…anyone…

Risk vs Reward:

At one point in time Banks was the best punt returner in the league, why Risk him at receiver when he may not produce and get injured - blowing up special teams that point in time.

Now Banks is the best receiver in the league, why expose him to unnecessary Risk via punt returning when he could get injured - a severe blow to our offence.

He is awesome and plays bigger than his size - Who knows he could be a great Scatback or DB??

When Speedy goes into a game at DB as an emergency backup because multiple DBs are injured … and it’s a Grey Cup game … and he holds his own in coverage … then we can finally say that Speedy has done everything in the CFL that Winfield did.