Speed, which Al is the fastest?

I think I am opening a can of worms with my question. I have been watching the Als for several years, and I have also been reading the papers and these boards.

I am not sure how to start on the topic, so I will do the best I can.

On TV the last 2 years, Etienne Boulay looked like a rocket. It was clear to me that he had special speed. He gave me the impression that he could cover and run with any receiver (Canadian or American). According to the "Journal de Montréal", when Etienne had a tryout with the New York jets, he ran a 4.3 second 40 yard dash. If true, that is AMAZING!

Most of the US recruits from US colleges at the cornerback or receiver position (the fastest players) do not run that fast. 4.3 speed is the holy grail of speed in football. I beleive Etienne can do this, because I have seen him run. He is a rare physical specimen. Remember when Matheiu Proulx replaced him at safety when EB was injured... Proulx has good skills and instincts, but he cannot run like EB.

But, despite that, I read (I think in these forums) that Andrew Hamilton was the fastest player at the Als camp last season. OK, so how fast was he? And if he was that fast (better than a 4.3) howcome he never played a single down last season?

Another player that looked to fast to be true was Richard Karikari. I remember 2 or 3 years ago, Jason Tucker (who is a speed demon himself) in a game against the Als, catching a pass along the sidelines and running for half a mile, but not scoring a TD. Karikari, came up behind him, caught him (it was a straight sprint) and grabbing his shirt for the tackle. Karikari closed the gap and stopped him! I also thought Karikari had freak speed.

Then again, the RDS guys said Watkins was faster that season...

Do any of you guys have an opinion on this, or a stopwatch?

Here's how they shook out at e-camp in the 40:

Boulay--4.46
Hamilton--4.48
Karikari--4.72
Proulx--4.62

To answer your question about Hamilton and his roster spot, he spent the 2007 season getting bigger and making the adjustment to pro ball. Don't hold that against him. Many CIS players do the same and go on to good careers in the CFL.

On the roster right now, I'd bet Brian Bratton, Aslan Davis, Mike Imoh, and Randee Drew could match the 40 times posted by the players you mentioned. Before his injury, Bruce Perry could've given those times a run, too, and you wouldn't want to be the one trying to slow him down at the end of the sprint. he's a load.

"Here's how they shook out at e-camp in the 40:

Boulay--4.46
Hamilton--4.48
Karikari--4.72
Proulx--4.62

To answer your question about Hamilton and his roster spot, he spent the 2007 season getting bigger and making the adjustment to pro ball. Don't hold that against him. Many CIS players do the same and go on to good careers in the CFL. "

That's the same e-camp where Hamilton pulled his hamstring while running his 40 and didn't have a chance to finish one on one drills.

It was reported that Hamilton ran the second fastest time at Rookie Camp last year, behind Eddie Montgomery with a 4.32. Amazingly, along with great speed, he supposedly put up very impressive vertical and broad jumps. At camp on running back Andrew Hamilton, Jim Popp was quoted saying that:
"He does things that most people can not do."

I personally just want to see what the hype is all about...Is this kid really this fast? After being placed on the practice roster for the whole year I want to know if this kid's a bust. He was known for his speed at Eastern Michigan, Delaware State and Concordia. So let's see what he's got! Let him return or if he has hands use him in the passing game. But with speed under 4.4 you should be playing. So the question is, why hasn't he played a single down of football?

EYEINTHESKY

What hype? Guy is a project. Track Speed and game speed are two different things. Athletic skills provide a good foundation but there is more to earning a roster spot on a football team then running track. Blocking, technique, off field involvement. Personaly from what I've seen when he was at Concordia he wasn't hitting the with pro calbre power.

I always thought Watkins was the fastest. Never noticed how quick Boulay was. I knew him more for big hits than speed. I wish him the best in the NFL, make a good FS, but I would not be upset at all if he re-joined the Als.