Sour Grapes anyone?

I've posted this little poem before, but it seems appropriate

Riders East and Riders West
They must play to see who's best.
The winner gets to stay the same,
The loser has to change their name.

Ottawa Bureau-Cats?

:lol: :lol:

PS re the American thing...was in Europe a couple of years ago. It was really EASY to spot the American tourists...they were the ones wearing the biggest Canadian flags on each and every article of clothing they had on.

The thing that made me kind of laugh were the older fans associating the Ottawa Rough Riders with greatness.
Only retirees would have ever seen the Ottawa club win and even then, they never had a dynasty; 1920s was last time they won back to back.

Ottawa also won back to back titles in 1968-69…

:rockin:

How about “Revenge”?

But lets get real for a minute: The original team eventually went down in flames...Than the Renegades go down in flames..So why don't we just call them the Ottawa Phoenix?

You mean THEN the Renegades go down. . .

Sorry geo, but it’s the offseason so it’s open season on this.

But congrats on being creative at least. Usually it’s someone using “then” when they should use “than”. . . you went reverse. Good one !

You don’t have to have lived history to appreciate it. Not everyone who buys throwback merchandise buys it because they fondly remember when their team first wore those lovely striped sweaters. Do you think that no Cleveland Browns fan under 25 appreciates Jim Brown?

Some of you sometimes come off as though you think the moment the Rough Riders folded, any evidence of their existence was hidden away. It’s not like that. Many former players are still seen in the community whether by coaching kids, in the media, or running restaurants/sports bars. Cripes, I went to the Ottawa Exhibition in 2010 because they had a display about the Rough Riders with former players fielding questions, etc. You don’t see this stuff so you assume it’s not there.

Young people here know that we had a team and that for a while there, it was a quality organization. It’s not a mystery to anyone.

Wow, who would have thought. I am old enough to have seen the Ottawa club win and I do associate the Rough Riders of the late 60’s and the Russ Jackson era with greatness. I unfortunately won’t be retiring in the near future. :cowboy:

There is no good reason why the Ottawa franchise shouldn't be called the Rough Riders. Or at the very least the decision to use or not use the name should be made by the owners of that organization, not the people who run the show in Saskatchewan. Do they not remember when Ottawa allowed Saskatchewan to keep their name? Ottawa was the Rough Riders long before Saskatchewan was. It should be Ottawa's decision about which name they choose, not Saskatchewan's. Just another example of Saskatchewan's arrogance.

I was one that felt the new team needed to be the Roughriders, I am disappointed that they will not be! It will be hard to claim the history of Ottawa football without the name. If it could not be the RR`s, it would have been easier to take if it had been because of Horn Chen, than it being the Sask Riders that prevented it.

Ottawa was first! If Sask doesnt like it, they should change their name! Sask Yahoos comes to mind

Hmmm, what sounds worse, Sask Yahoos or the Calgary Cowchuckers? :lol:

Saskatchewan Suckers
Calgary Cowpatties
Winnipeg Blews

and so many more I would think?

I think Saskatchewan Combines reaps consideration, and Saskatchewan Cowbells has a nice ring to it. :cowboy: :lol:

Or maybe the fans of Ottawa should just suck it up… first they changed their name to the Senators in 1925(for two seasons), then went back to the Rough Riders name… then that franchise folded in 1996… then they came back as the Renegades, which folded in 2005… meanwhile, Sask has been there since they adopted the abandoned nickname in 1924… they haven’t folded, and now have a stong brand with the Roughrider name… the 3rd highest merchandise sales for a sports franchise in Canada(behind only the Leafs and Habs)… Saskatchewan is protecting its brand… and nothing wrong with that whatsoever…

I stand by the people of saskatchewan on this one. This is a league of 8 teams that is trying to become 9 and hopefully 10 teams there is no excuse for having two teams with the same name there are plenty of good football team names available right now that arent taken so they can choose something else it really should not be that hard

Although I don't believe that Ottawa should go with Rough Riders and I don't believe Saskatchewan should have to change their name. I also do not think that Saskatchewan should have any say into the naming of the Ottawa team. This is Ottawa's decision and nobody else should have input unless the chosen name is offensive.

Would you say the same thing if some opportunistic franchise had taken the name Allouette during Montreals days as the Condorde?

I'm pretty sure OSEG would be able to use the name if they really wanted it and were willing to take legal action. Having said that, they would be smart to not rock the boat too much and build a good relationship with one of their business partners (the riders). From a business stand point, it makes far more sense to start with a new and fresh name.

The riders position is pretty weak IMO. However, I don't blame them for vetoing the use of the "Rough Rider/Roughrider/RuffRiders etc" name.

Thanks Sambo and besides I was saying nothin of the fact that Ottawa shouldn’t be named Rough Riders but for the record I am against it I was just pointing out the fact that that particular article was distasteful and offensive, I hope they don’t get the Rider name and I hope Sask creams the hell outta Ottawa for their first 5 years of existence to shut up A-Holes such as writers like the guy who wrote this one