Solving The Puzzle: REDBLACKS putting together the pieces on defence

CFL.ca will be previewing the 2021 season, breaking down special teams, defence and offence for all nine teams as they get set to hit the field.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/06/28/solving-puzzle-redblacks-putting-together-pieces-defence/

Wow - didn't realize that Ottawa had signed Laing and Charles, great addition to that defense with Ellis and Kanneh and Pruneau.
A great D coach in Benevides too
I think they are going to surprise in the East. The offense with Nichols and receivers like RJ Harris and returner Dedmon.
Every year Ottawa is predicted to finish last and they usually surprise everyone.

I think one of the up and coming defensive players will be De'Chavon Hayes. Excited to see him further develop this season.

Ottawa hasn't had much luck. Besides a half dozen retiring on offence, Tindall, Mason, Bolduc, Joseph & Cote gone from D. I like their LB's & really like the Laing addition. But even with Nichols & Harris on offence, the O is going to have a lot of trouble moving the ball IMO. Saunders & Sinopoli aren't there. I expect the D will be on the field a lot. There are pockets of talent there but I really can't see this team making much headway vs the other 3 in the East.

Kanneh back after making the Grey Cup saving tackle in 2016 .

Charles will be interesting to see if he can make a impact . DC Benevides has experience and should have the defence recharged .

Redblacks can't catch a break. Too many new guys on offence, too many vets on defence. I think they will have a very competitive camp. Should be lots of quality cuts from other teams as well. They have an excellent coaching staff to boot. Should be competitive.

Really happy to see Cleyon Laing and Abdul Kanneh back! Kanneh especially was a big part of the Grey Cup team, and Laing has become one of the best in the league at his position.