Soliciting Opinions....

I've been watching football for a very long time. Longer in fact than most of the people on this forum have been alive. Over that time I have noticed a marked decline in the frequency and quality of up-field tackling by defensive backs.

When I attended camp, and I played d-back, I was taught to make contact, wrap up, and drive through to drop the man. He would drop because a person can't run without legs. While growing up watching the game I took my instruction from the pros who had learned the fine art of tackling and tackling well.

When I look at the game today I don't see any D-backs with the first clue as to how to tackle. Many seem to think that slapping a guy on the shoulder as he runs by will make the guy drop. Doesn't happen often. What I do see is D-backs trying for big-hits. A D-back can have a receiver in his sights and the receiver bounces off the hit when all the D-back had to do was lower his shoulders and drive himself in.

Colleges must be getting away from teaching tackling in favour of teaching hitting as that is what drives TV ratings. I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing some dull colour man explode in delight over one big hit but never mentioning the 3-4 hits that missed. Tackling seems to be a dying art. Are their any other old-timers who share my view?

Too many egos and head cases out there now 2m2s, guys who would rather suplex a player than wrap him up, agree with you fully.

...very interesting observation 2much, and I agree with your theory to a certain extent except for one factor that I can't say for sure is a reason why we see DBs miss tackles but I'll toss it out there anyways...

...most DBs are imports, and those that aren't imports still mainly come from the NCAA, and it could be that the wider field in the CFL allows simply too much lateral space for ball carriers to navigate...it is effectively too difficult to line a player up for initial contact versus doing so on a NFL sized field....Maybe....

....I know that my son's coaches, both HS and Community ball, have taugh the fundemental of wrap and drop tackling, but during the heat of the game a lot of the youngsters simply forget the basics, but at this calibre you'd think the fundementals are a given....perhaps not...

Watching my Grandson's Bantam team, his coach teaches them to go low and wrap up those legs. He uses that same line, "No matter how big he is, if those legs are wrapped up, he can't move!"

I'm a borderline racist, did you guys know that about me?

...care to complain TIMH?...i'm all eyes...

I recall his post said something different about 20 minutes ago...

An admin changed it.

What´s crazy is that this is a football forum and I'm using it to write all sorts of racist opinions and remarks that have no business being here. I'm treading close to having my IP banned on this site because I can't keep my sad opinions on race relations out of my arguments.

…perhaps it did Dust, but do you see him complaining about it?..nah…

I just got home from work and was tired and confused...

...I just got to work and am tired and confused....

I am at work and confused!

...the only real confused person here is TIMH who cannot seem to type properly through the eye holes in his white pointed hooded head covering....

Thanks Red, now I have to go find a towel to clean up what I spit all over my keyboard.

:)

...sorry about that Dust...

...TIMH, zero tolerance for that kind of bull.crap....do we understand each other?...(that's really a rhetorical question, I have serious doubts you will understand what I mean but I am obligated to offer you the opportunity to respond that you know your behavior was out of line)....

He’s done this stuff before, Red…he’s often posted ill-thought out comments based on race, therefore tagging him with a label no one wants…

If we were talking about disadvantaged Black QBs, you guys wouldn´t be telling me this.

And they call us red necks in Alberta! :lol: :lol:

...if we were talking about disavantaged QBs and you brought race into it then yes I would be acting the same way...

...if race was relevant to the issue being discussed then logic would dictate that it is part of the discussion...your bringing race into this thread was not relevant to the issue at hand and therefore not tolerated...

...if the thread was say about 'why are there only so many black coaches in the CFL?' then obviously race will be part of the discussion, how could it not be....if int he process of discussing the issue a poster took that issue to an extreme or intolerable place then we come down on that poster pronto....it's not a hard thing to work around...

Before you start talking about a lack Black coaches in the CFL, consider that Blacks are overrepresented when you consider the percentage of their population.

If you want to bring in Quotas for black coaches in the CFL, might as well do the same for White DBs, tailbacks, and imports as a whole.