So why was it not a safety?

Mtl vs Wpg 4th Quarter.
Montreal punts
Wpg returner is on his 3 yard line, the ball bounced off his chest then rolls into the endzone where he jumps on it

Mtl was giving a rouge instead of a safety!

Why?

You have to possess the ball and bring it back into the endzone. WPG never possessed the ball

1 Like

It was a fumble and a live ball

It is but still not a safety.

Its was even Dunnigan indirectly said it was(there's another 2 points)

Article 3 – Safety Touch
A safety touch is scored when the ball becomes dead in the possession of a
team in its own Goal Area, or touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in
Goal as a result of the ball having been carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise
directed from the Field of Play into the Goal Area by the team scored against,

you cant fumble if you don't have possession

Incompetent refs

Don't think so. I've seen this play multiple times and it's always ruled a single. It's a weird quirk but it's definitely the way it's called.

They didn't fumble, it just became a live ball when it was touched.

1 Like

AR: Team A kicks to Team B. B1 attempting to catch the ball on Team B’s 3-yard
line, fumbles it and is tackled with the ball in possession in the Team B Goal Area.
RULING – Rouge (ball deemed to have been kicked into Goal Area by Team A).

1 Like

So the rule book is wrong?

ok
Have a nice day

I gave you the example from the rulebook you posted. Here it is again:

Page 30.

AR: Team A kicks to Team B. B1 attempting to catch the ball on Team B’s 3-yard
line, fumbles it and is tackled with the ball in possession in the Team B Goal Area.
RULING – Rouge (ball deemed to have been kicked into Goal Area by Team A).

5 Likes

If the returner touches the ball but fails to control it, it is ruled a muff. A muff becomes a live ball and is only considered a fumble if the kicking team recovers the live ball. In any case, possession is never assumed on a muff and therefore no safety touch can be awarded. This rule is consistent between Canadian and American football and is probably a hundred years old.

3 Likes

Why would you be quoting from the 2017 rule book???

and nobody had gained possession after the kick so nobody fumbled

Ok no-body fumbled!
Then this does not apply

The rule says fumbled into the goal area.....and seeing how it was not fumbed

It was otherwise directed into the endzone and was a safety

I think on that play, the ball is considered to have been directed from the field of play into the goal area by the kicking team, not the team scored against. That's why it's a rouge.

If it bounced off you....you directed it into the goal area.

It makes no sense, if an Alouette recovers it, its a fumble but if it bounces backwards into the endzone and recovered by the receiving team the touch never happened?

There is some vague overlap between the rouge and safety wording, but I believe the interpretation is that the ball is directed into the endzone by the punter, even if the ball touches a member of the receiving team along the way. That's why it's ruled a rouge.

The way the rule is worded...
If I catch a punt on my 5 return it to the 25, get hit, fumble it and it bounces back into my endzone where a team mate recovers it, its a rouge!

Does that make sense?

The rule I quoted takes care of that problem , carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise directed from the Field of Play

It is a bit odd, but I think the safety is meant for when a team scrimmages the ball and then ends up downed in their goal. Though the rulebook doesn't clearly define it this way.

Since the punt-returning team didn't scrimmage the play with possession, the play you describe above is a rouge. It would be nice if they clarified that overlap and vaguery in the rulebook, wouldn't it?

the rule says "ATTEMPTING TO CATCH THE BALL, FUMBLES IT"

not

Catches the ball and runs 25 yards before fumbling it.

Not sure what you're arguing, are you saying you'd like a rule change? Sure you may be on to something.

But they didnt make a mistake. The situation I provided you is literally exactly what happened.

1 Like

My two cents could be wrong .

The issue is the ball is live on a punt or kick off after being touched by the opposition then wobbles into the end zone and recovered the ball is still considered kicked into the end zone for a rouge **versus the player having actual possession of the ball in the field of play after receiving the kick and then backing into the scoring end zone with the ball for a safety on a kicking play .

They would have determined the possession of the ball and the act of bringing into the end zone did not happen therefore not a safety .