So.... Which Overtime Rules do you Prefer?

The results of both of those NFL Divisional Champs games prove yet again that the Canadian ruleset makes for a fairer, more exciting game. I much prefer the old school two 5 minute OT halves that the CFL had, where all phases of the game were present, than the current “shootout”, but even that is better than functionally leaving it up to a coin flip, as per the current NFL rules. Unbelievable that PI is not challengeable in the NFL! That one was so blatant!

As for the challenge rule, I’m fine with unlimited challenges until you lose a challenge. And when you do lose the challenge, the book gets thrown at you - delay of game penalty, plus loss of timeout(s),plus loss of the right to challenge any further calls that game. That coach better be damn sure he’s right before throwing that flag.

100% agree. I’ve been banging on about this for years. Unfortunately no one in power is listening to us!

So I guess the coin flip should be on sports centre as it was a key play in the game .

The NFL version of OT is like the NHL having one team on a power play then the other to quicken the end of the game . Then the first team scores and wins the game . Then argue there penalty killing team should have stopped them .

Pretty much the same .

There are two separate teams in football unlike hockey . Some would argue three with special teams .

Both should be allowed to compete right to the end .

The Patriots defence were having trouble stopping the Chiefs late in the game and should have had to stop the Chiefs offence in response to the Pats offence scoring a TD .

Don’t care how long it lasts but both should get an equal opportunity to play the game when it matters the most . The fans were cheated . Especially when both defences looked tired and beaten in the 4th quarter .

Well put.

Like the CFL’s/NCAA’s OT better. Having the team starting with the ball already in scoring range adds to the drama.
Just wish the CFL would go back to 4 potential OT periods instead of the current 2.

Actually, I’d rather they do away with OT altogether during the regular season. I don’t understand why some people get bent out of shape if the game ends in a tie. Both teams earn 1 point (that’s what it’s there for). Have OT only happen during the playoffs and the GC. Prefer 2 five minute halves and then the shootout if still tied.

The CFL. Unless somebody can come up with a better one that makes sense. Haven’t seen one yet.

Two ten minute halves. That worked fine for over fifty years. There was no good reason to change it.

:-\

NFL - it’s not real football and only scrimmage ball when you eliminate parts of the kicking game entirely.

I like how it is right now, for before with the coin toss it was flawed and favoured the team winning the toss and gave them a shorter field to play to win.

Now it’s either touchdown on that first drive or play on as it should have been all along.

The format in place now in the NCAA and CFL originated in American high school football in Kansas go figure.

I liked how the CFL used to have it until a few years ago just fine.

This debate has taken place many times over the years on this site.

I agree with this take too and feel the same also for the NCAA as it was until the 1990s.

It’s as if so many here claiming “fairness” of the current format forgot how the CFL used to do it before they came up with the current format only a few years ago. ::slight_smile:

No one had a problem with the old CFL method until a game where Hamilton was playing Edmonton. In the first OT half Hamilton kicked off, but intercepted a pass and drove for a touchdown before time ran out. Then Edmonton had to kick off to start the second half, and Hamilton ran the full five minutes off the clock. In spite of the fact that Hamilton completely dominated in OT, some people saw this as somehow unfair, and the following year the shootout was introduced.

I agree.

Precisely! Borrowing a system from U.S. high school football really rankles me.

:frowning:

I would go with 2 possessions each, and then FG shootout Wendy’s kick for a million style.

So override all of history based on the experiences of a few butt-hurt fans? If you can’t stop the run, your team deserves to lose. NO and bad decision if your theory is correct.

I read here from some when they made the change, and we debated it fiercely on this forum, that a key driver was TSN.

The media like to have a guaranteed shorter game in the event it goes to overtime.

Don’t get me wrong: I don’t know if that was the reason for the change. I’m just saying no one ever complained about the overtime format until the Esks lost that game.

This is precisely why the NFL is talking about this. The Saints, and to a far greater extent the Chiefs’ fan base, are simply mad that their team lost, and instead of blaming their team, they blame the rules, or the referees. Give this a while and the debate will cool off.

The most “fair” overtime is the shootout style. The debate here is whether “fairness” should take priority of eliminating kickoffs and (unless something goes horribly wrong, and even then, probably not) punts. I would keep the shootout, but with a few modifications. The team that wins the toss gets the ball at the 55 (or the goal line KO). If they score, the other team starts at the 55 (or there is a kickoff from the goal line if you really want to keep kickoffs). If they do not score, the other team gets possession where they normally would. This puts the special teams back into it, and even the punting, while keeping the game shorter to reduce injury risk

No, it’s not going to happen in the NFL. Most NFL fans cannot stand the NCAA format and oppose any changes after recent changes were made to the format for the better.

No, it’s not “fair” when you eliminate the kicking game and it’s also not real football. It may as well be a glorified practice scrimmage, which the new hip overtime format you support is in fact.

If you are going to propose an alternative format yet retain kickoffs in overtime, I say give the kicking team at least the option to kick-off or not to the receiving team. If they choose not to kick-off, the opponent gets the ball at the 35.

In this way the direction and wind can be a factor as well during the coin toss as it is remains in the NFL for outdoor games.