So, What's Your Solution ?

A committee would need to be set up to look for replacements. As HF said there are many coaches who would be qualified. Trestman was an excellent find. But this was done by careful analysis by a 1st rate professional management team. First you need the proper Management in place to start the process. We don’t have that presently. If you think this is hot air or talk coming from gas bags you are trending on future disaster and failure. The Riders also have an excellent management team in place. Hiring friends or aquaitances is courting failure.
The rest of the CFL can see the disaster we have in Winnipeg. Other teams would not put up with the garbage that took place this past season as did with our team. I am not just talking about losing. But all the other extra activity Kelly engaged in. Can anyone imagine this nonsence taking place in Riderville. It wouldn’t go on for a month. Sadly a lot of our fans have low esteem, and low expectations but not all. The status Quo for next year is not an option.

ANDRUS…What do you think we have now.

When the Als hired Trestman: Smith, Wettenhaul and Popp each had a score card with 10 categories scored 1 to 10, they interviewed 10 canddidates and also had a firm test the final candidates for various caracteristics...

Did Taman have a say ? Did Hidahl have a say ? were the candidates tested for honesty, leadership ?

I guess Bauer should have just fired Taman as GM at the same time Berry was fired instead of making him VP of Player Personnel. At the press conference announcing Berry’s firing, Bauer “hinted” that Taman’s duties were going to change and that happened shortly thereafter and before Mike Kelly was hired. When Kelly was hired it was as GM and HC.

Are you sure Bauer could fire Taman ? Or would he have to go sell that to the Board ? :wink:

Getting board approval to fire Taman at the same time as Berry probably wouldn’t have been difficult. There were a lot of people in Winnipeg who wanted Taman gone along with Berry after the 2008 season.

Housedog, you've been around long enough to remember when Dave Ritchie took over.

It was the same thing until an unknown third string BC quaterback named K Jones took over from Kerwin Bell. The team went 7 - 10 - 1 that year. The next they were 14 - 4 and in the GC.

This is the CFL, things change over night, the Bombers are a QB away from getting there again.

They didn't have to blow it all up, if they did every year, you'd never get anywhere.

So your saying that they are one QB away from being the best team in the East ?

You are correct 100%. WE HAD DAVE RITCHIE. That says it all.

I’m saying if you blow it up now, we’ll never find out.

And he started 6 - 12 in 1999
7 - 10 - 1 in 2000

We didn’t pull the plug on him after 2 losing seasons.

A good coach recognizes good talent. The key is a good coach. We need more than just a QB.

It takes a QB, even a good coach doesn't have a chance without one.

Remember that Ritchie did not pick fights and was an excellent ambassador for the team. He did not cause embarrassment for the city, province or team. Did interviews with the press. I also heard that Ritchie held parties where players, and members of the press were invited. I thought he was a gentlemen and a wise coach. We can’t say the same for the bum we presently have for coach.

I put Dave Ritchie right up there with Riley & Grant as the best we have ever had.

He was however, screwed by the system, scouting was pulled out from under him and Taman promoted over him. That was really the beginning of the end for winning football in Winnipeg. Part of the reason I like what Kelly has done with the organization side. That side will bear fruit down the road, Murphy knows talent and how to find it.

So far, here are some names for GM:

Tillman (if he is ousted)
Rambo
Dunnigan
Higgins
Pin Ball
Mohns
Shivers
McEvoy
Paul Jones

...i think if Kelly can tone down the rhetoric with the media....stick to football...and let the more 'controversial' situations with the club be handled by someone else it would be for the better....I believe he is a good coach....the players like him...and to start all over from scratch is putting the Bombers in reverse....I say let Kelly prove to all of the naysayers that he can put a winning football club on the field...AND yes a competent starting qb. would be a huge difference maker....I would like to see a new offensive co-ordinator brought in....Mastakis has too much to learn and the Bombers need results NOW...i think the club should approach Worman see what comes of it...It's still a little early to start interviewing people but i think the bog needs to ...at least...let us now who is in charge ...and get the ball rolling.. :thup: :rockin:

....off of the list IF Bauer trots off.....

....Paul Jones...knowledgeable football man
....Tillman...if he can shake the 'unfortunate situation in riderville
....Shivers...i beileve he knows talent....and has a lot of experience

There's certainly something to be said for that suggestion, papa.

To make that whole scenario work, though, Dunigan then becomes the best choice for GM. Because you know he won't fire Kelly. . . any other GM who is brought in is likely going to want to hire his own coach.

But as long as the GM handles most media relations, and a new offensive coordinator runs the offence, and the team gets its QB situation straightened out, it might make sense to let Kelly have a year.

....besides Dunigan....i think Tilman would keep Kelly as well... as he would probably appreciate 'the second-chance' scenario... :wink: I don't know if the Riders will part ways with him...but i can't seeTaman and Tilman working the same job for very much longer.. :wink:

Should have clarified, the GM would also be VP of operations, Lyle Bauer needs to move along like Taman did.

The only thing I would add is an OC as well.