So, I've been gone a while... What did I miss?

So, I've been gone a while... What did I miss?

1 Like

The most important thing for Hamilton fans is the fact that Stelco bought a minority share in the team. The chairman of Stelco also owns a minority share in Atlanta Falcons. Genius Sports is an equal partner with "CFL ventures" which is a company that receives the national TV and sponsorship revenues. NFL also owns 5% of Genius Sports.

In the off-season there was huge speculation about rule changes but this time around everything should be close to normal due to the offensive production going up by 17% or so.

3 Likes

Ted, you're a good man. Truth be told, I was looking to add a bit of levity to an otherwise difficult post-game thread -- but your response was quite eloquent and kind. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Lot's of negativity on the other threads so I hear you.

For sure, but it's understandable... Hey, it's been really tough being a Cats fan for the past two decades. 2024 will be Bob's 20th anniversary -- wow, tempus fugit -- let's hope the Cats by then. If I am not mistaken, the traditional 20th anniversary gift is china, so we might have to wait until 2027 -- the traditional 23rd anniversary gift is silver plate! :wink:

3 Likes

For sure. Some Tiger-cat fans are too young to remember the 1999 cup. Seem unfair that the teams that don't have as great a fan base have more success. Toronto has 17 titles for example.

2 Likes

At least they saw them in the Grey cup finals in 2013, 2014, 2019 and 2021. Unfortunately they didn't win any of them, well 2014 they kind of did if not for a controversial penalty. Anyways they've had a lot of success in the last 10 years, but you're right for about 10 years Hamilton sucked and missed the playoffs a few times.

1 Like

The Argos went from 1954 to 1982 without a Cup . Droughts often occur in the west along with Dust Bowls . Regina Roughriders lost 6 Grey Cups in 7 years from 1928 to 1934 . In 1951 and 1967 the Riders lost again . They lost again in 1969 1972, 1976 , 2009 , 2010 They won in 1966 , 1989, 2007 and 2013 .
That looks like 13 losses and 4 wins . So from 1923 and the Regina Rowing Club till today 2022 , 99 years , the Riders have 4 wins in the Grey Cup .
So you think the Tiger-Cats had problems ? You ain't seen nuthin yet. ... Bachman Turner Overdrive

2 Likes

They actually went from '53 through '82 .... 30 straight seasons without winning the Grey Cup. When they were going through those years, it never, ever, entered my mind that the Tiger-Cats, in my lifetime, would come anywhere close to matching the length of that stretch of futility. So far, at 22 straight seasons, we're almost 75% of the way toward matching them.

My bad . The Cats won in 1953 . That was my first time watching a Cat Grey Cup win. I believe 12 - 6 was the score with all three TDs being converted . There's a trivia question in there .

No comments on the Riders century of ineptitude ? When you think things are bad , there's always somebody worse off than you . Even in football . Take the Detroit Lions , Please !

1 Like

Our TiCats are getting close to Ottawa's long streak of seasons without winning the Cup, too. Counting only the years when that city fielded a team, there were 26 seasons between the Rough Riders' last Grey Cup win, in '76, and the RedBlacks' first, and only so far, championship in '16.
In the years, since the Tiger-Cats first played, the worst stretch of non-championship seasons , played by Montreal teams, was 20 ... not as long as the other Eastern teams.
The Tiger-Cats were formed in 1950, following the Alouettes' Grey Cup win in '49. Their next one was that 1970 third place team's victory, over Calgary, in 1970.

2 Likes

Please, let's keep politics / political figures out of it before everyone gets their noses bent out of shape.

1 Like

The XFL season will start in Feb . 2023 . This is the Rock's league . The XFL announced its eight host cities on Sunday night for the 2023 season. The cities are Houston, San Antonio and Arlington in Texas, Orlando, Las Vegas, Seattle, St. Louis and Washington D.C.

Las Vegas is the only host city to not have a stadium announced with its location.

Las Vegas, Orlando and San Antonio are the new host cities joining the other five, as the league dropped New York, Los Angeles and Tampa Bay from its league.

The league also announced its head coach pairings on Sunday as well.

Arlington: Bob Stoops
Houston: Wade Phillips
Orlando: Terrell Buckley
Las Vegas: Rod Woodson
San Antonio: Hines Ward
Seattle: Jim Haslett
St. Louis: Anthony Becht
Washington D.C.: Reggie Barlow
1 Like

I thought June Jones had a HC gig here. Maybe offensive co- ordinator? Some interesting names on that list, not sure some of them have any coaching experience.

Tiger Cats supposedly pushing all the chips into the table to acquire BLM. This needs to work. Hopefully Tiger Cats can convince him that the team has the best chance of being the leading contender to be the Eastern representative in 2023 Grey Cup. Right now Cats need to shift their focus on signing players that would make the team around him the best possible . Build it and Bo will come .

1 Like

They were planning on playing at the scene of the "O'Canada crime," but UNLV, just on Thursday, announced that its Sam Boyd Stadium, which hasn't hosted an event since 2020, is permantly closed.

1 Like

It's been known for a while but I guess UNLV was getting so many questions about it that they had to release the statement. :joy:

1 Like

I'm watching Michigan versus Illinois on TSN . Michigan has a Ron Stewart clone , Blake Corum . He's 5'8" 210 and runs exactly like the old Ottawa RB . Good speed and change of direction . He is ranked among the top backs in the NCAA along with Canadian Chase Brown of Illinois.
Another comparison would be Charlie Tolar of the old AFL Houston Oilers . He was 5'5"/5'6" at 210 .
Corum would be a perfect fit for the CFL . He's a junior with the Wolverines but could apply for the NFL Draft and therefore would be eligible to be signed in the CFL .

3 Likes

Pat..you’ve got to be careful bringing up the past. Some posters will take exception to talking about “the good old days”.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes