SMU Crighton winner Glavic transfers to Calgary

It's not exactly new news, but I didn't see anything here about it (I searched). Any way:

QB Glavic to join Dinos on the gridiron

"The University of Calgary Dinos football club just added some star-studded power to their offence.

The team announced Friday that quarterback Erik Glavic, the 2007 Hec Crighton Trophy winner for the most outstanding player in Canadian Interuniversity Sport, is making the move westward from the St. Mary’s Huskies of the Atlantic University Sport to join Blake Nill’s Dinos.

Nill, who spent 10 seasons at the helm of the Huskies before moving to Calgary in 2006, had originally recruited Glavic in 2005.

“Erik is an exceptional football player who has the ability to be a difference-maker for us,? said Nill in a media release Friday. “He is also an excellent student and we look forward to having him at the University of Calgary.?

The 22-year-old, who stands six-foot-six, weighs 230 pounds and also played basketball for the Huskies, is an equally gifted passer and rusher.

However, a nagging ACL tear suffered during St. Mary’s 2007 Uteck Bowl win over Laval haunted Glavic in 2008 and kept him out of St. Mary’s lineup until mid-September. He suited up for one game against Mount Alison — and was on the sidelines for the remainder of the season including the national semifinal.

Despite having had surgery almost a year ago, the Pickering, Ont., native admitted to the Halifax Chronicle-Herald that he’s still not 100 per cent.

“I did some tests over the break and the knee is still not there, still not ready,? said Glavic, whose older brother Sasha is a Canadian Football League linebacker with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. “It’s going to need another good six months of rehab . . . (The Dinos) feel with five good months with me, they feel I can be the player I was.

“That’s a positive to keep me working hard.?

Late Thursday, he informed St. Mary’s head coach Steve Sumarah that he was headed westward.

“Erik had a tough year and had a lot of pressures on him in many different ways, but I thought we had worked through all those things,? said Sumarah. “But, obviously, he felt there were better opportunities for him elsewhere.?

Glavic is eligible for three more seasons with the Dinos."

This sucks for SMU. He is a great qb with potential. He only played one quarter last season after a tough recovery from a torn ACL, that still isn't fully healed. He hurt it in the 2007 Uteck Bowl.

Luckily, SMU still did pretty well. Especially when you consider their qb for majority of the season was a rookie right out of high school. He has a similiar style as Glavic. He held his own last season, and should be good this season.

An interesting fact:
Calgary's coach, Blake Nill, is the former head coach of SMU, and was the one who recruited Glavic to SMU. He also has known the Glavic family for 10 years.

It might be a good move for him, I think he could get looked at in a CFL town. Teale Orban got a shot at back up. I’m sure they would try to get Eric to change positions, but I always thought that he could one day be a decent CFL quarterback. He’s big, athletic and can throw the ball.

I think he could get looked at in a CFL town
One more reason for a team around here.

The powers to be don't want the CFL in Halifax from what I've heard on some boards. Unfortunate.

I'M SHOCKED HE DIDNT TRY THE NCAA FOR A 2 YEARS I FEEL THAT IS BETTER PREP FOR THE PRO LEVEL SEEING BIGGER FASTER TALENT.....

Agree Sandusky, for all Jesse Lumsden's "the NFL is my dream" talk, why in the heck did he not go to the States even at division 2? I have no idea. Jesse, if you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. Fact is, I don't think Jesse had a lot of confidence in himself as a football player. And this is no put down to the CIS, the CIS is great for what it is, I like watching it, but man, if you go on record saying your dream is the NFL and American rules football, get your arse down there as fast as you can boy.